Postmenopausal

rcripe22
rcripe22 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am currently on Tamoxifen and have been for two years. I am 31 years old. After my second dose of Chemotherapy I stopped having periods and have not had one for two years, until now. My Oncologist and my OB/GYN have both done blood tests and confirmed that I am postmenopausal. My last FSH was 60 and it was 66 the time before that. I had spotting a few months ago and then just this week I have began bleeding quit a bit and having pelvic pain. I am scheduled to see my OB/GYN next week. Is this normal or something to worry about? How could I be having a period after two years and being postmenopausal? I'm so confused and scared. I know there is a risk of uterine cancer with Tamoxifen. I have 2 children and do not plan on having anymore. Should I consider a Total Hysterectomy? This might help with my sanity. Please advise. Thank you so much-Raquel.

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Welcome, Raquel
    I've just started Tamoxifen, so have done lots of reading about it in the past few weeks.

Everything I've read says that yes, Tamoxifen increases your risk of uterine cancer, and yes, bleeding can be one of the first signs -- BUT everything I've read also emphasizes that there are many other possible reasons for bleeding and pain.

I know this is easier said than done, but PLEASE try not to jump to any frightening conclusions and make yourself crazy thinking about major surgery until you see your OB/GYN. There's a good chance it's something else entirely, something easily treatable.

Of course, we all fear that anything unusual we feel means that our cancer has reared its ugly head again, it's totally normal. But try not to waste your time and mental energy worrying about and planning for something that you don't even know yet.

Traci
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    My Heart Goes Out to You
    Oh, Raquel, my heart goes out to you--how frightening! Would you feel better if you called your OB/GYN Monday, explained what is happening, and asked for an earlier appt? Perhaps you could ask to be notified if anyone cancels an appt. Even just telling the OB/GYN's nurse what is happening might help increase your feeling that you can cope with this, that you have some control over what is happening to you.

Right now it seems that a hysterectomy might solve everything, but my sense is that you need not make any drastic decisions for a little while. Maybe you're different, but sometimes I've made big decisions without really investigating all my options and then really regretted those decisions later. IMHO, you don't have to decide anything right away. Once you have talked with your OB/GYN and learned what tests can be done to assess what is going on and what your options are, then you can think through everything and decide whether a hysterectomy would really make you feel better. It may be that you'll find an even better solution, or it may be that your feelings will be confirmed. Of course, you have to decide what's best for you.

Praying for you! Sandy
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Are you sure you are out of eggs?
    You are so young that I can't imagine that you have no eggs left. Is it possible that you dropped an egg? I went over a year without a period, then had one and had to count the year all over again. That has happened to my sister several times and we were over 50 when we went though menopause. Try to stay calm. Lots of things could cause your symptoms. When I was in high school, I had a cyst on my overy that convinced me that my apendix had burst because the pain was so bad.

Roseann
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    roseann4 said:

Are you sure you are out of eggs?
    You are so young that I can't imagine that you have no eggs left. Is it possible that you dropped an egg? I went over a year without a period, then had one and had to count the year all over again. That has happened to my sister several times and we were over 50 when we went though menopause. Try to stay calm. Lots of things could cause your symptoms. When I was in high school, I had a cyst on my overy that convinced me that my apendix had burst because the pain was so bad.

Roseann

From what I have been told,
    From what I have been told, if you have any bleeding while on Tamoxifen, you are to call your doctor immediately. Let us know what you find out. I don't want to scare you, so, please don't be, but, you are suppose to let them know right away if you bleed at all.

Leeza
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    jnl said:

From what I have been told,
    From what I have been told, if you have any bleeding while on Tamoxifen, you are to call your doctor immediately. Let us know what you find out. I don't want to scare you, so, please don't be, but, you are suppose to let them know right away if you bleed at all.

Leeza

If you bleed while on tamox,
    If you bleed while on tamox, you should call your oncologist right away.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    periods again
    I too was young when first diagnosed (33). My periods also stopped for a few years and then came back. I was sort of disappointed when they did ;-) However, they stopped for good at 43 again. I don't think that their restarting is abnormal as long as it seems like a normal period. I had my share of endometrial biopsies because of irregular periods--all were ok. I am 56 now. Hope this helps.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Welcome, Raquel
    I've just started Tamoxifen, so have done lots of reading about it in the past few weeks.

Everything I've read says that yes, Tamoxifen increases your risk of uterine cancer, and yes, bleeding can be one of the first signs -- BUT everything I've read also emphasizes that there are many other possible reasons for bleeding and pain.

I know this is easier said than done, but PLEASE try not to jump to any frightening conclusions and make yourself crazy thinking about major surgery until you see your OB/GYN. There's a good chance it's something else entirely, something easily treatable.

Of course, we all fear that anything unusual we feel means that our cancer has reared its ugly head again, it's totally normal. But try not to waste your time and mental energy worrying about and planning for something that you don't even know yet.

Traci

I don't know, but, I don't
    I don't know, but, I don't think you should be bleeding. Please call your oncologist and let him know or your ob/gyn. Don't let this go. It might not be anything, but, always best to get it checked out. Let us know.

Sue :)