Calling All Juicers!

Comments

• 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    claud1951 said:

I have been juicing for 7
    I have been juicing for 7 years. I have a Juiceman. I was going to get a better juicer (when mine broke) but was in a resale shop and saw the same Juiceman (as what I had in the past) for $4.00.
    No brainer!!!

My preferred juice is:

spinach and/or kale and/or romaine
    celery
    golden delicious apple (like the sweeter taste of golden delcious)
    ginger
    carrots

My best to all.
    Claudia
    3 year survivor

There you are!
    Claudia!

I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen you in awhile unless you've been posting on threads that I hadn't read! Great to see you again!

My first juicing experience was at a JuiceMan workshop that my sister dragged me to and we all bought juicers in solidarity to her new regime. I'm so glad I went. The thing that stuck with me all these years later (18+) was this:

CHEW YOUR JUICE!

Isn't that funny? The guy (it wasn't Jay Kordich) told us how important it was to chew our juice and get the digestive juices flowing in our mouths. I still do this.

By the way, where's your picture taken? The background looks beautiful.

peace, emily
  • emrose
    emrose Member Posts: 136
    2bhealed said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
    Em!!!!

You had your baby?? And did you post this news and I missed it???

Have 9 months gone by already? Gosh it was just yesterday we were all weighing in on should you get preggie or not! And there you are with your bambino!

Details honey. We want details! (when you have a minute?). HA!

Juicing would be great for making milk..... ;-)

peace, emily

just posted the news :)
    He's an amazing little bundle of joy and such a blessing!! I am going to get some pics on the site soon - he really is one adorable little munchkin!! And his dad is head over heels for his little baby boy. After surviving cancer, and having a son... He's just on top of the world right now!

And, I know - where does the time go!?!? I remember crying and crying as we tried to decide if it was a good idea to get pregnant before he started chemo. It was an interesting time to be pregnant, since my husband was very sick but we made it and I'm so glad we went ahead and threw caution to the wind. Having this little guy was the best motivation for my husband and we are so in love with him :)
  • DennisR
    DennisR Member Posts: 148
    Hi Emily,
    That's my

Hi Emily,
    That's my Granddaughters name BTW. We have a Breville and have been juicing for several years. Gerry (my wife) usually juices carrots, beets, apples, and celery, (all grown organically in my garden), sometimes we add some ginger, and various Berries, and whatever else is ripe.
    DennisR
  • Paula G.
    Paula G. Member Posts: 596
    2bhealed said:

Thanks!
    for the input on the Breville. The Omegas always seem to be recommended.

I love ginger in my juice too. :-) Haven't tried tumeric yet.

peace, emily

Juicer
    We juice, Have a Breville. Easy clean up I think. We are on our sceond one because I put a frozen piece of ginger in it and it broke the screen. Too much ginger also. How much do you use. We juice carrots,celery,apple, cabbage and beets. Need to change it up a little.
    Paula
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    DennisR said:

Hi Emily,
    That's my

Hi Emily,
    That's my Granddaughters name BTW. We have a Breville and have been juicing for several years. Gerry (my wife) usually juices carrots, beets, apples, and celery, (all grown organically in my garden), sometimes we add some ginger, and various Berries, and whatever else is ripe.
    DennisR

Wow!
    I'm impressed to see alot of people on here are juicing, aren't you Emily??? and I bet you thought your words were just going into one ear and out the other, glad to hear about it, and love this post, thanks for any kinds of recipes you guys can dish out as well, that be a great help too. You are so motivating Em, I wish I could attend your workshops! LOL

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • sharpy102
    sharpy102 Member Posts: 368 Member
    Ours was: carrot, beet,
    Ours was: carrot, beet, celery and apple just to have a good taste of it. The ratio was: 3:3:1 (ca:b:ce:) Beet has toooooooooooooooooons of antioxidants in it...:)
    Good luck!
  • amyboston
    amyboston Member Posts: 91
    In the market for a juicer
    Before my DX I used a blender...but now I am going to look around
    for the real thing, commercial juicer.

I have been used some fruit, cooked peaches and apples with
    a vegetarian whey based protein powder.

Amy
  • Hatshepsut
    Hatshepsut Member Posts: 336 Member
    Ole

One more idea....

If you can tolerate spicy foods, add a piece of fresh jalapeno or poblano chili to your juice mix. You can, of course, vary the amount based upon your tolerance for heat. Like ginger, the chili gives the juice a nice burst of flavor.

Hatshepsut
  • amyboston
    amyboston Member Posts: 91

Ole

One more idea....

If you can tolerate spicy foods, add a piece of fresh jalapeno or poblano chili to your juice mix. You can, of course, vary the amount based upon your tolerance for heat. Like ginger, the chili gives the juice a nice burst of flavor.

Hatshepsut

Peruvian Peppers?
    There is a red pepper from Peru, called Ricotto Red Pepper.

It is very, very hot!!!! My roommates from Peru eat it.

I could add that.

Otherwise, I have used Kale, Apples, Carrots -- juiced...sometimes add a banana.
    blessings,
    Amy
  • califsue
    califsue Member Posts: 80
    amyboston said:

Peruvian Peppers?
    There is a red pepper from Peru, called Ricotto Red Pepper.

It is very, very hot!!!! My roommates from Peru eat it.

I could add that.

Otherwise, I have used Kale, Apples, Carrots -- juiced...sometimes add a banana.
    blessings,
    Amy

What is your opinion about using a Vitamixer?
    I have been using a Vitamixer (the cadillac of blenders) instead of a juicer to make a green drink:

spinach
    parsley
    cucumbers
    fresh ginger
    apples
    celery
    lemon or lime

Of course I'm drinking all the pulp along with the juice. Should I invest in a juicer?

Thanks,
    Susan
  • cyndi2324
    cyndi2324 Member Posts: 72
    califsue said:

I have been using a Vitamixer (the cadillac of blenders) instead of a juicer to make a green drink:

spinach
    parsley
    cucumbers
    fresh ginger
    apples
    celery
    lemon or lime

Of course I'm drinking all the pulp along with the juice. Should I invest in a juicer?

Thanks,
    Susan

Pulp or no pulp
    I want to start juicing but know 0. Do I want one with pulp or just juice? I have a colostomy and am having to use benifiber with meals (per my Dr. right now). I don't think I want really thick stuff to drink. I'm stage 4 and have been told surgery can't be done any more and I have not responded to chemo 3x so am being directed to trials. So I'm ready to try juicing can't hurt. So any help about type of juicers would be GREATLY appreciated. At least I would feel I'm doing something to help other than walking and eating well.
    Thanks,
    Cyndi
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    My parents sent me their
    My parents sent me their juicer - they aren't using it. It is a Jack LaLanne's Power Juicer.
    I purchased most on your list today - carrots, kale, romaine, green apples. Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow.
  • 2bhealed
    califsue said:

spinach
    parsley
    cucumbers
    fresh ginger
    apples
    celery
    lemon or lime

Thanks,
    Susan

A different approach
    Hi Susan,

Juicing is a different approach than blending. Blending is not juicing. The point of juicing, rather then just blending all the veggies (or fruit,) is to extract the juice (where the nutrients and enzymes are) from the fiber (pulp). The juice is then easily assimilated into the system since the digestive system does not have to work to do the extracting separating the juice from the fiber. It's like drinking energy. For fiber I added flax seeds to my juice. I gave the pulp to my chickens. Some people drink the pulp too. That's a personal preference. Personally I didn't like it.

Investing in a juicer depends on your reason for wanting to juice. I invested (or my mother did for me) because it was the way, I was convinced, that I would heal my body of any cancer (post surgery) and so I juiced 3 quarts a day. I wanted the OPTIMAL nutrition that juicing could afford me. So yeah, I would invest.

Hope this helps.

peace, emily
  • 2bhealed
    cyndi2324 said:

Pulp or no pulp
    I want to start juicing but know 0. Do I want one with pulp or just juice? I have a colostomy and am having to use benifiber with meals (per my Dr. right now). I don't think I want really thick stuff to drink. I'm stage 4 and have been told surgery can't be done any more and I have not responded to chemo 3x so am being directed to trials. So I'm ready to try juicing can't hurt. So any help about type of juicers would be GREATLY appreciated. At least I would feel I'm doing something to help other than walking and eating well.
    Thanks,
    Cyndi

Juicers
    Hi Cyndi,

You can find juicers at www.discountjuicers.com

They have a whole chart of juicers comparing pros and cons of each.

I used to have a JuiceMan Juicer (not the kind you get from Target but from the JuiceMan company) which is a centrifugal juicers. It's the most affordable kind but not the best. Depending on how much you want to invest depends on what kind you'll buy.

After my cancer dx I gave my JuiceMan away. It was over 10 years old and a pain to clean. My mother bought me The Champion after I was able to try a *friend's Champ who cured (yes CURED) her son's incurable cancer with one. It's a masticating type juicer.

The Omega is supposed to be a good one too.

Hope this helps.

peace, emily

ps. * Leeanne went on to write a book about curing her son's cancer called Your Child Doesn't Have to Die.
  • Muzzy
    Muzzy Member Posts: 175 Member
    you talked me into it
    I picked up my juicer friday and have been juicing everthing in sight.
    love it so far. I got a kenmore from Sears.
    Carrot apple and spinach.
    kiwee and pineapple and apple is great.

Jeff
    Just happy to be here!!
  • 2bhealed
    Muzzy said:

you talked me into it
    I picked up my juicer friday and have been juicing everthing in sight.
    love it so far. I got a kenmore from Sears.
    Carrot apple and spinach.
    kiwee and pineapple and apple is great.

Jeff
    Just happy to be here!!

AWESOME!
    Hey Muzzy,

Way to go!

(I went to school with a kid we called Muzzy).

Happy Juicing!

peace, emily
  • califsue
    califsue Member Posts: 80
    2bhealed said:

A different approach
    Hi Susan,

Juicing is a different approach than blending. Blending is not juicing. The point of juicing, rather then just blending all the veggies (or fruit,) is to extract the juice (where the nutrients and enzymes are) from the fiber (pulp). The juice is then easily assimilated into the system since the digestive system does not have to work to do the extracting separating the juice from the fiber. It's like drinking energy. For fiber I added flax seeds to my juice. I gave the pulp to my chickens. Some people drink the pulp too. That's a personal preference. Personally I didn't like it.

Investing in a juicer depends on your reason for wanting to juice. I invested (or my mother did for me) because it was the way, I was convinced, that I would heal my body of any cancer (post surgery) and so I juiced 3 quarts a day. I wanted the OPTIMAL nutrition that juicing could afford me. So yeah, I would invest.

Hope this helps.

peace, emily

Thank you Emily
    Thank you Emily. I wasn't sure about the vitamixer. I will buy either a Champion or an Omega to heal my body of any and all cancer. I want to get the OPTIMAL juicer for nutrition and also get one that is easy to clean up as I don't have a lot of energy right now.

I'm sure that I will be back at you with lots of questions.

Thanks for traveling the path least taken,
    Susan
  • Yaziza
    Yaziza Member Posts: 14
    2bhealed said:

AWESOME!
    Hey Muzzy,

Way to go!

(I went to school with a kid we called Muzzy).

Happy Juicing!

peace, emily

love juicing
    Today I juiced pineapple with the core, papaya and its seeds, carrots and bell pepper fresh from the garden.....Dad said he feels like he is in prison camp...being forced to eat healthy...but mom and I like the juice. Dad said something he ate today made him feel hot....but that isn't the case, he has had more energy and has been working so much around the house that he is warming up.

Yaziza
  • ittapp
    ittapp Member Posts: 383 Member
    Juicing
    I really want to start juicing but just can't afford one right now. It looks like soooo many of you are juicing now and it is very encouraging. Maybe I can look on Craigslist for one! Hope to be joining you soon. Happy Juicing, Patti
  • 2bhealed
    ittapp said:

Juicing
    I really want to start juicing but just can't afford one right now. It looks like soooo many of you are juicing now and it is very encouraging. Maybe I can look on Craigslist for one! Hope to be joining you soon. Happy Juicing, Patti

Try this
    Hi Patti,

I'm not sure if they have this in your area, but a friend of mine got a juicer from FREECYCLE. Everything is free. I've never been on the website, but check it out. Maybe you'll find one like Jean did. Ya never know.

peace, emily