Port Removal Today

Annabelle41415
Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I had my port removed today. They didn't sedate me like I thought they would, but that never worked anyway, but just numbed the area. The doctor wondered why I didn't go back to original hospital and told her about my terrible experience and she said if you feel pain I feel pain (oh she is my type of doctor). I felt some pain during and she injected more medicine but then it was fine. I couldn't believe that the tube leading into my artery was at least 5 inches long. No wonder I always felt there was something in my neck when I turned it. I'm feeling quite a bit of pain tonight and have a hard time keeping clothes over that area. I think it's at least as painful as the insert, but this is a happy pain :)

I thank you for all your prayers and concern for this procedure. I'm glad I have you as my family.

Kim

Comments

• mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    What a great day!
    Kim,

What a great day for you today in getting your port removed!! I am so happy for you.

Amy
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    You're free!
    Awesome! You're free! Sorry you're in pain, though.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    tootsie1 said:

You're free!
    Awesome! You're free! Sorry you're in pain, though.

*hugs*
    Gail

Great to hear!
    How long did you have it in? How long after chemo did they take it out?

....just wondering what the norm is for having it taken out.
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Nana b said:

Great to hear!
    How long did you have it in? How long after chemo did they take it out?

....just wondering what the norm is for having it taken out.

Port
    I had it in for almost six months and it was about 5 weeks out of chemo before they took it out. I am up this early because this sucker is hurting me so bad. I don't remember having it hurt so when I had it put in, but wow, I can feel every cut or mussel that they decided they wanted to use. I haven't taken a pain pill in about two months, so once again I'm taking something. It's just throbbing and I hate that. I can imagine Kathryn going through what she is going through. Oh well, this is a good pain.
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342

Port
    I had it in for almost six months and it was about 5 weeks out of chemo before they took it out. I am up this early because this sucker is hurting me so bad. I don't remember having it hurt so when I had it put in, but wow, I can feel every cut or mussel that they decided they wanted to use. I haven't taken a pain pill in about two months, so once again I'm taking something. It's just throbbing and I hate that. I can imagine Kathryn going through what she is going through. Oh well, this is a good pain.

It's Good!
    That you got your port out, but hate to hear you're in pain, I would have demanded being sedated, I can't be up for those kind of procedures, I been known to attack under pain LOL..

Just take it day by day, and hopefully the pain will ease each day! at least the last reminder of the cancer is gone :)

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • GOOFYLADIE
    GOOFYLADIE Member Posts: 232 Member
    Yeah No Medi Port
    Hi Kim,
    I am so happy for you to get that darn mediport out. I was thin like you and I remember feeling that thing every move I made. I finally had them take it out after four months. So the next 8 months I just was just a pin cushion. I even got stuck 16 times by one nurse trying to start an I V at the ER after chemo. The small town I lived in at the time on had one nurse on duty and they had to call the dr. in. Crazy huh!! Anyway, it will probably be a little sore, but just like before take it easy on the side of your port and rest. I hope it feels a little better today! Hugs and best wishes, Goofyladie (Cass)
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member

Yeah No Medi Port
    Hi Kim,
    I am so happy for you to get that darn mediport out. I was thin like you and I remember feeling that thing every move I made. I finally had them take it out after four months. So the next 8 months I just was just a pin cushion. I even got stuck 16 times by one nurse trying to start an I V at the ER after chemo. The small town I lived in at the time on had one nurse on duty and they had to call the dr. in. Crazy huh!! Anyway, it will probably be a little sore, but just like before take it easy on the side of your port and rest. I hope it feels a little better today! Hugs and best wishes, Goofyladie (Cass)

OUCH!
    Not looking forward to the pain! But can't wait to get it out!!
  • Holdtight
    Holdtight Member Posts: 151
    HI!
    Good for you! Congrats! You should treat yourself to something really nice for that accomplishment. I hope all goes well for you! Have a nice day!
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Hi dear Kim,I am so happy
    Hi dear Kim,I am so happy for you that the port is out.I hope your pain will go away very very soon.Take care.