Port –a -cath removed, ugly agley scar left (update)

New Flower
New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello Ladies,

I need your advice and opinion. My port-a-cath has been removed 6 months ago. I still feel it when I lie on my right side. My scar is agley like a small bump or granuloma and it is itching every time when I take a shower. I tried different cream, aloe oil, shea butter. When I asked my surgeon who removed it, she suggested a skin excision.
I am not sure I am ready for another even a small surgery. Any advice will be appreciated.

New Flower

Comments

• laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    I hate my port. It is
    I hate my port. It is horrible looking and doesn't work properly. I have to have it xrayed and may have to have fixed. I can't stand for that to happen again. I'd rather use an IV like they did the first time. That didn't bother me. I have veins of a horse. I know it will leave an ugly scar. Goodbye low cut tops.
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    laurissa said:

I hate my port. It is
    I hate my port. It is horrible looking and doesn't work properly. I have to have it xrayed and may have to have fixed. I can't stand for that to happen again. I'd rather use an IV like they did the first time. That didn't bother me. I have veins of a horse. I know it will leave an ugly scar. Goodbye low cut tops.

port
    I still have my port because I'm still getting herceptin every 3 weeks until March. I'm sorry you are having problems ... but I am convinced that I couldn't have made it this far without my port. The thought of being poked and prodded for every blood draw and chemo treatment makes me want to pass out. I'm a big chicken and I know I would have been spending most of my treatment time passed out on the floor ... or running out of the room screaming in fear. I won't have my port removed until at least a year after I finish herceptin ... but at that point I plan on "wearing my scar" with pride and a reminder of what I've been through and what I've accomplished. It will reassure me that I am much stronger than I thought I was ... and that I CAN do things I thought I never could have done. My scar will be my badge of courage!

hugs.
    teena
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    tgf said:

port
    I still have my port because I'm still getting herceptin every 3 weeks until March. I'm sorry you are having problems ... but I am convinced that I couldn't have made it this far without my port. The thought of being poked and prodded for every blood draw and chemo treatment makes me want to pass out. I'm a big chicken and I know I would have been spending most of my treatment time passed out on the floor ... or running out of the room screaming in fear. I won't have my port removed until at least a year after I finish herceptin ... but at that point I plan on "wearing my scar" with pride and a reminder of what I've been through and what I've accomplished. It will reassure me that I am much stronger than I thought I was ... and that I CAN do things I thought I never could have done. My scar will be my badge of courage!

hugs.
    teena

Teena
    What a great way to look at scares as a badge of courage!! Hugs, Diane
  • New Flower
    chickad52 said:

Teena
    What a great way to look at scares as a badge of courage!! Hugs, Diane

I agree
    Teena,
    I agree I should be proud of myself. My port worked well and I was glad that I had it.
    However 6 months later I still feel it , especially when I sleep on the same side, or car belt, or something on that shoulder.I am wondering if there is any treatment available? I hope somebody on this board can give advice.
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988

I agree
    Teena,
    I agree I should be proud of myself. My port worked well and I was glad that I had it.
    However 6 months later I still feel it , especially when I sleep on the same side, or car belt, or something on that shoulder.I am wondering if there is any treatment available? I hope somebody on this board can give advice.

New Flower, I have a really
    New Flower, I have a really ugly scar from the port, but wouldn't have tried to do chemo any other way. I watched as many of the patients who were being treated at the same time as I was be poked and proded over and over again to try and "stick" a vein. They were worn out before the treatment even began, so I was grateful to have the port. It has been over a year since mine was removed (two weeks after completing chemo in Sept 2008), and it still bothers me. The onc says it is scar tissue, and recommended liquid Vitamin E. I have used it for about a month, and can really see a difference. You might try it to see if there is any relief. I think we are going to have ongoing issues with the port scar, but it sure beats the heck out of having to go through the chemo without it. Hope it helps. Hugs,

Judy
  • New Flower

New Flower, I have a really
    New Flower, I have a really ugly scar from the port, but wouldn't have tried to do chemo any other way. I watched as many of the patients who were being treated at the same time as I was be poked and proded over and over again to try and "stick" a vein. They were worn out before the treatment even began, so I was grateful to have the port. It has been over a year since mine was removed (two weeks after completing chemo in Sept 2008), and it still bothers me. The onc says it is scar tissue, and recommended liquid Vitamin E. I have used it for about a month, and can really see a difference. You might try it to see if there is any relief. I think we are going to have ongoing issues with the port scar, but it sure beats the heck out of having to go through the chemo without it. Hope it helps. Hugs,

Judy

Judy Thank you
    Judy thank you. Yes also watched people having troubles with veins and agree that port really helped me go through Chemo. Thank you for your reply at least I understand that I am not weird complaining about port area. I will try Vitamin E and let you know.
    Hugs
  • j916
    j916 Member Posts: 141

Judy Thank you
    Judy thank you. Yes also watched people having troubles with veins and agree that port really helped me go through Chemo. Thank you for your reply at least I understand that I am not weird complaining about port area. I will try Vitamin E and let you know.
    Hugs

Itchy Scar
    My scar became raised and itchy too...i went back to the surgeon that had put it in, and he gave me a cortisone shot ( i think that's what it was) and it did the trick. It has become redder in a larger area around it, but am told that will go away as the shot wears off. You might want to check with your doctor.
    jeanne
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    When my surgeon took my port
    When my surgeon took my port out she did the skin excision at the same time.. scar is a little bigger than it would have been if she just removed the port.. but looks great.. and very thin ..
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    laurissa said:

I hate my port. It is

Laurissa... I totally hated
    Laurissa... I totally hated my port every blessed day it was in... and had that reched thing removed 1 week after chemo was over.. the scar that was left bothers me far less. You have to wear it with pride and as the warrior that we are.. When you have it removed make sure your surgeon removes all the skin that was over the port and you will have a far better appearance in the end...
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Thanks e_ hope
    I didn't want to sound so vain, but it's been a pain from the start. I'm having it xrayed on Friday with dye in it to see wants wrong.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    laurissa said:

Thanks e_ hope
    I didn't want to sound so vain, but it's been a pain from the start. I'm having it xrayed on Friday with dye in it to see wants wrong.

Port oh Port oh Port
    My port is located inside my right upper arm. While it has been a pain in the bu!!, I dealt with many irrations due to the rubbing against my skin - during summer months, still rubbing against clothing with cooler temps. 10 weeks later, my Port incision has finally healed - no joke.

So .. my point .. I thought Dr. H was out of his mind when he suggested my inner arm - port placement, I was unhappy and frustrated by the consistent irration and puffy incision site - plus 2 infections ... only to see the light at the end of the tunnel - yes, it takes me a while) that Dr. H knows his business -- my scar .. is very little, and no one will ever see it - unless I choose to show them.

I say .. forget Vanity .. have it fixed. We all deserve to be WHOLE again.

VickiSam
  • New Flower
    VickiSam said:

Port oh Port oh Port
    My port is located inside my right upper arm. While it has been a pain in the bu!!, I dealt with many irrations due to the rubbing against my skin - during summer months, still rubbing against clothing with cooler temps. 10 weeks later, my Port incision has finally healed - no joke.

So .. my point .. I thought Dr. H was out of his mind when he suggested my inner arm - port placement, I was unhappy and frustrated by the consistent irration and puffy incision site - plus 2 infections ... only to see the light at the end of the tunnel - yes, it takes me a while) that Dr. H knows his business -- my scar .. is very little, and no one will ever see it - unless I choose to show them.

I say .. forget Vanity .. have it fixed. We all deserve to be WHOLE again.

VickiSam

scar away silicon strips
    Thank you everyone for your input. It did help me a lot. Thanks jeanne, I did ask for a shot.
    Yesterday instead of steroid shot my doctor suggested "Scar away silicon strips". I ordered them from Amazon and let you know how effective they are.
    Never give up everyone.Even a relatively small issue could be a project.
    Cheers
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member

scar away silicon strips
    Thank you everyone for your input. It did help me a lot. Thanks jeanne, I did ask for a shot.
    Yesterday instead of steroid shot my doctor suggested "Scar away silicon strips". I ordered them from Amazon and let you know how effective they are.
    Never give up everyone.Even a relatively small issue could be a project.
    Cheers

Thanks for the rec.
    I might try the scar away strips, too. My scar from my port is worse than my lumpectomy scar, though I loved having a port through chemo. The next time I see my dermatologist, I will ask about what to do about it and let you know if she has any novel suggestions.

Mimi