Probiotics

Shayenne
Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
So I bought this $30 bottle of Probiotics to help with my family's immune system, this is ok to take, right? even though I'm on chemo? and it's ok for kids? The pharmacist told my hubby it be really good for people on chemo because it replenishes what chemo kills? I just want to be sure!

Hugsss!
~Donna

Comments

• dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Active 'bacteria' in Yogurt
    Probiotics is basically the same stuff that's in good yogurt. :o)

Wikipedia does have this warning.

Some hospitals have reported treating lactobacillus septicaemia which is a potentially fatal disease caused by the consumption of probiotics by people with lowered immune systems or who are already very ill.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Ask your doctor
    I think it's ok for your family to take it, but you should ask your doctor since you are still in treatment. She didn't even want me taking certain vitamins since it decreases the effectiveness of the chemo. I wanted to make sure that the chemo I took was doing it's maximum job. She would only let me take my vitamin, calcium and B6. Better to be safe than sorry.

Kim
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Check with your doctor
    Our oncologist told George he is to take no supplements nor green tea while on chemotherapy. A daily muti-vitamin was ok but nothing else. It is probably ok for your family but I would check if it is ok for you to take.
  • sfmarie
    sfmarie Member Posts: 602
    Probiotics
    My sister's doc. said it was ok to take them and even suggested it. I think everyone is different but better check to be safe. I take it and think it certainly helps with digestion. Hugs back, Marie
  • Shayenne
    sfmarie said:

Probiotics
    My sister's doc. said it was ok to take them and even suggested it. I think everyone is different but better check to be safe. I take it and think it certainly helps with digestion. Hugs back, Marie

Thank you!
    I will call my onc tomorrow morning to make sure, I have asked what I should be taking, she said a multivitamin, B-Complex, and that was it, but I haven't mentioned Probiotics at all...thanks for the replies!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Donna, studies show Calcium
    Donna, studies show Calcium and Vit. D3 are very important for preventing spread, recurrence and long term survival with colon cancer. I'd suggest you speak with your onc but feel sure these will be approved.
  • mommyof2kds
    mommyof2kds Member Posts: 519
    My oncologist said it is a
    My oncologist said it is a great thing to be taking and I am still on chemo. He also said it is good to be taking the vit D and flaxseed. Petrina
  • Shayenne

My oncologist said it is a
    My oncologist said it is a great thing to be taking and I am still on chemo. He also said it is good to be taking the vit D and flaxseed. Petrina

I Did...
    ..buy some Vitamin D3 today, along with super vitamin B-complex. I had been sprinking some ground flaxseed in my foods, since you don't really taste it, it's good to just mix in the foods, I'll probably keep taking the probiotics whether she likes it or not, just to see by my next appointment if it will actually make a difference.

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    I thought
    you might find this link interesting on Probiotics.

http://www.webmd.com/search/search_results/default.aspx?query=Probiotics&sourceType=undefined
  • Shayenne
    nudgie said:
    Thanks Nudgie!
    I read that, and it was quite interesting. I called my onc today, and her nurse said she wanted me to bring in the supplements I want to take on my next visit next month, so she can further research it, to make sure it doesn't counteract the chemo or the Rx meds I am on. So, guess I'll wait!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna