My first hot flash

laurissa
laurissa Member Posts: 773
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well, I finally know what a hotflash is all about. I'm 49 and have never had one. I had to go lay down with a wet washrag on my head with the fan blowing on me. I guess the chemo really is working. And no period this month. Do any of you have hotflashes very often? I had a bit of neasea with it, too.

Comments

• brenda247
    brenda247 Member Posts: 124
    i know the feeling
    hey laurissa,
    i really know how you feel.. im 43 was on chemo just got done oct.1,2009.. i had hot flashes the whole time and still having them. its a bummer.. but one good thing come out of it i have had no period for 4 months.. YEPPPPY. LOL..
    i just looked at the bullentins this morning it might help you.. check it out theres a med that someone posted about hotflashes that her dr gave her didnt know there was anything but it might help you..
    good luck to you!!!
    brenda
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Yes! They come sometimes
    Yes! They come sometimes every 30 minutes. I will be freezing then suddenly unbearably hot.
    I keep hoping that this is temporary and they will at least be further apart! I'm 48 and my Dr said it is premature menopause and is permenant. I guess we just have to find creative ways to deal with it!
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Hey Laurissa I posted a about a Med
    Hi there, oohhhh baby, I know the hot flashes...........they drove me crazy, I had like 3-5 an hour and all through the night. It was hot hot hot, then cold cold cold. I called my doctor and said what can you do and she prescribed Gabapentin. It is an anti seizure med that is also used for hot flashes, I take it three times a day and guess what....the hot flashes are GONE :) I'm not sure if the side effects will out-weight the benefit but i'm giving it a try, no side effects thus far...I've been on it for two days. I'll keep everyone posted on it :) If your hot flashes are too many and too often or too bothersome, check with doc. Hang in there Laurissa, your doing awesome!!
    Kari
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Hot flashes have been a
    Hot flashes have been a prob. for me, too. I will keep the medicine in mind, although I hate to take even more medication than I already do. I used to laugh at the hot flash jokes, but no more....
  • SunShineDay
    SunShineDay Member Posts: 9
    Heat Wave!
    "....Do any of you have hotflashes very often?..."

Oooooooooooh yeah :-) . Just started a few weeks ago (and I recently turned 43)-- but wow, once they kicked in, it was fast and furious! Mine don't last all that long -- just a few minutes? But they are relentless (plus then I get chilled once it's over -- so it feels like I'm either burning up or freezing to death, heh ;-). I think I'm getting used to it though (good thing too since it's a long road ahead with the tamoxifin yet to come). And hey, whadya know? Seems merely talking about it is bringing one on, heh-- fun times....! ;-)

In any case good luck, Laurissa!

--Sunny
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    Tux said:

Hot flashes have been a
    Hot flashes have been a prob. for me, too. I will keep the medicine in mind, although I hate to take even more medication than I already do. I used to laugh at the hot flash jokes, but no more....

Gabapentin
    Well I have been on gabapentin for nueropothy for about 2 months and just realized that I am not having as many hot flashes as I was. How cool
    tj
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Laurissa
    I have been having hot flashes since I was in my mid 40s, I am 52 now. I was premenopausal and went thru menopause at 49. They really are awful!! I am a nurse and I would be drawing blood with sweat just running down my face. Or I would be gowned up for an infectious patient doing a wound treatment with sweat running down my face. I would actually have to leave the room and wipe my face down. And it seemed like the more anxious I got the worse the flash was...sooo....buy yourself a fan, turn your air conditioner to the coldest setting and your heat wayyyyyyy down. Get rid of all turtle neck sweaters if you have any...any hang in there!!!!

Oh if men only knew what we women go thru!!!
    Hugs
    Linda T
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    yep
    OMG... yes.. too often.. I'm only 36.. and has gotten even worse since being done with chemo.. at night its the worse.. body is screwed up... one minute sweating buckets next freezing... it great.. not
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    e_hope said:

yep
    OMG... yes.. too often.. I'm only 36.. and has gotten even worse since being done with chemo.. at night its the worse.. body is screwed up... one minute sweating buckets next freezing... it great.. not

Hot Flashes .. Everyday ...
    Between the chemo and changing weather out here in California, I do nothing but sweat all day and night.

No doubt about it .. our bodies are wacked! Take plenty of showers, and layer on the clothing.

Night swears are the worst .. No getting around this.

VickiSam
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Hot flashes are the pits.
    Hot flashes are the pits. Fans work for me and trying to stay away from anything that produces heat. Too bad we couldn't regift it to someone in Alaska or Canada.
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    ..having a hot flash.
    ..having a hot flash...a tropical hot flash... Oh yeah!
    Anybody here see “Menopause the Musical”? Really cute show about…well, you know.
    I have a small electric fan at my desk, and a small handheld battery operated one on my
    person at all times! After the chemo slams you into menopause and the hot flashes start, the Arimidex keeps them going (for the whole five years???).

Oh well, small price to pay right?

Cat

Marcia, you would have to stay away from almost all of us here...
  • Marcia527
    cats_toy said:

..having a hot flash.
    ..having a hot flash...a tropical hot flash... Oh yeah!
    Anybody here see “Menopause the Musical”? Really cute show about…well, you know.
    I have a small electric fan at my desk, and a small handheld battery operated one on my
    person at all times! After the chemo slams you into menopause and the hot flashes start, the Arimidex keeps them going (for the whole five years???).

Oh well, small price to pay right?

Cat

Marcia, you would have to stay away from almost all of us here...

Naw, people don't count as a
    Naw, people don't count as a heat source. I'd just get in on that handheld fan breeze. hee hee. Or do you mean California? I live in Texas so it's just as hot some days.
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Marcia527 said:

Naw, people don't count as a
    Naw, people don't count as a heat source. I'd just get in on that handheld fan breeze. hee hee. Or do you mean California? I live in Texas so it's just as hot some days.

I mean me (or us) during a flash
    the heat radiates off me, I would make a great heat source... he he

=^..^=
  • Marcia527
    cats_toy said:

I mean me (or us) during a flash
    the heat radiates off me, I would make a great heat source... he he

=^..^=

Maybe we should patent you
    Maybe we should patent you as a renewable energy source.
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Chemo and Hot Flashes
    Heard all about chemo and hot flashes, but not a one in sight so far. I go next Thursday for my 3rd session. Will have to wait and see if they pay me a visit.

I did start my menstrual today. Last one was 3 days. Will see how long this one will last. What a roller coaster!

BL