Starting Chemo

Marlene_K
Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all! I'm sorry I haven't come to the board in quite some time. You are ALL such wonderful, courageous, brave & extremely helpful survivors! I've been extremely overburdened with making decisions and making headway on fighting this very scary beast! I had my single mastectomy on Aug. 27th @ Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philly. It went extremely well and I couldn't have been happier with my surgeon. I have been told by many that he did a 'wonderful' job. Afterwards, they were going to start me up on a clincial trial, but after deciding to do it, the trial closed just two days after I was offered it. It was called Avastin and it caused heart problems. After the 7th case came forward, the trial closed. Their alternative was going to be something that I was offered locally (TAC) so I decided to be treated in my hometown by an oncologist who comes very highly recommended. I had my mugascan done and just had my port in today. I will be starting treatments next week. My CTC test came out 'perfect' according to my onco, so that has given me some relief from anxiety. I feel I have jumped yet one more hurdle and am onto the biggie... CHEMO! Any advice, suggestions and reassurance anyone can give would be GREATLY appreciated. I hope to one day be a survivor like so many of you that can one day say this was just a 'bump in the road'.

I'm very positive and have always been a very optimistic person... I don't plan to let cancer take that away from me!

With lots of love, respect & adoration to all of you... Marlene

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Upcoming Chemo........
    Marlene,

The first chemo infusion is always scary.....I was terrified....fear of the unknown.....we've all heard the "horror" stories from years past......but they have come such a long way. I can ONLY RELATE my own experience......I am 9 weeks out of chemo and onto radiation...... My chemo "cocktail" was Taxotere and Cytoxan, 4 infusions, so I did not have a port.....One of the best pieces of advice I can give, is to take your antinausea medications on a REGULAR BASIS........do NOT wait until you feel nauseated....Keep a medical log and write down when you take what.....I started mine the day before chemo and continued for 5 days following......better to PREVENT nausea and vomiting than try and get it under control.......these were the strong words of advice from my oncologist. I never had the first wave of nausea. I also needed extra strenth Immodium after my first infusion but not the other 3. This is not to say there aren't other side effects...I lost my taste buds for 6-7 days after each infusion....this is because chemo drugs attack rapidly changing cells, which is what cancer is and your taste buds are rapidly changing cells as is your hair, thus the hair loss....mine started coming out on day 10 after the first infusion.....I had it all buzzed off before hand....that was the ONE thing I could control.....it is traumatic but it does grow back.......I have a great wig I wear in public.
    Chemo is cumulative.....especially the tiredness...Try to rest as much as possible...I didn't start feeling tired until after the second round.......I also experienced bone pain and muscle spasms......was given pain meds for those....which controlled it beautifully! Also drink drink drink! Before, during and for at least 5 days afterwards....I was told I could drink anything except alcohol, which I don't anyway...I choose water and gatorade....and my iced tea...being a southern girl at heart, I wasn't giving that up! Try to eat, even when nothing tastes right...I experimented until I found things that had some taste to it.....taste buds come back after about a week and I ate like a horse when they did!

Chemo is no day at the beach but it's not as bad we fear, at least it wasn't for me....and again, I can ONLY speak from my own experience. I hated it with a passion! But we get through it.......I hated it but am so thankful and grateful that it exists.

I wish you all the best and will offer up prayers for you to give you the strength and courage to get through this...........and you will...We reach deep inside and find something there we never knew existed.....
    Peace be with you,
    Nancy
  • Marlene_K
    MAJW said:

Upcoming Chemo........
    Marlene,

The first chemo infusion is always scary.....I was terrified....fear of the unknown.....we've all heard the "horror" stories from years past......but they have come such a long way. I can ONLY RELATE my own experience......I am 9 weeks out of chemo and onto radiation...... My chemo "cocktail" was Taxotere and Cytoxan, 4 infusions, so I did not have a port.....One of the best pieces of advice I can give, is to take your antinausea medications on a REGULAR BASIS........do NOT wait until you feel nauseated....Keep a medical log and write down when you take what.....I started mine the day before chemo and continued for 5 days following......better to PREVENT nausea and vomiting than try and get it under control.......these were the strong words of advice from my oncologist. I never had the first wave of nausea. I also needed extra strenth Immodium after my first infusion but not the other 3. This is not to say there aren't other side effects...I lost my taste buds for 6-7 days after each infusion....this is because chemo drugs attack rapidly changing cells, which is what cancer is and your taste buds are rapidly changing cells as is your hair, thus the hair loss....mine started coming out on day 10 after the first infusion.....I had it all buzzed off before hand....that was the ONE thing I could control.....it is traumatic but it does grow back.......I have a great wig I wear in public.
    Chemo is cumulative.....especially the tiredness...Try to rest as much as possible...I didn't start feeling tired until after the second round.......I also experienced bone pain and muscle spasms......was given pain meds for those....which controlled it beautifully! Also drink drink drink! Before, during and for at least 5 days afterwards....I was told I could drink anything except alcohol, which I don't anyway...I choose water and gatorade....and my iced tea...being a southern girl at heart, I wasn't giving that up! Try to eat, even when nothing tastes right...I experimented until I found things that had some taste to it.....taste buds come back after about a week and I ate like a horse when they did!

Chemo is no day at the beach but it's not as bad we fear, at least it wasn't for me....and again, I can ONLY speak from my own experience. I hated it with a passion! But we get through it.......I hated it but am so thankful and grateful that it exists.

I wish you all the best and will offer up prayers for you to give you the strength and courage to get through this...........and you will...We reach deep inside and find something there we never knew existed.....
    Peace be with you,
    Nancy

You're amazing!
    Nancy, thank you so much for taking the time to write all this! I want very much to think it's not going to be nearly as bad as I thought, but when I think that way, I'm usually disappointed. For instance, I was extremely freaked out about the mastectomy and thought it must be the worst pain in the world. I went to a local thrift shop and bought a whole bunch of button up shirts figuring it would be some time before I could lift my arm over my head. Low & behold I could do so the day after surgery and very fortunately, never felt "pain" at all. I never want to think the worst, yet I guess I feel if I do, it's not nearly as bad as I thought... if that makes any sense. I will rely on all of you wonderful people here on the site. You are such great inspirations for me and I hope one day that I can be YOU!

Thanks so MUCH for being such a very caring person, Nancy!

Mar
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Marlene
    I just finished chemo last wk Friday. I had 4 rounds of adriamycin/cytoxan every 2 wks x 4 sessions, then I started on taxol/herceptin. The taxol was every 2 wks x 4 sessions and the herceptin has been weekly. I go in again on friday for a triple dose of herceptin then will be in every 3 wks for a year.

The port is wonderful and you wont regret having it. I hate needles and unfortunately they have to stick one into the port to access it to give you chemo and draw your labs. I have a rx for emla cream which I gob on about 1 hour before they access the port. It numbs the area so I dont feel the stick. Cover it with a bandaid to keep the cream off your clothes.

I think everyone reacts to chemo differently. Adriamycin/cytoxan is nasty. They usually premed you with antinausea meds and I was given antinausea meds for days 2 and 3 after chemo which helped. Usually the day of chemo and the next day I felt pretty good, but the 2nd day after chemo I felt like I had morning sickness all day. I literally made myself eat and drink every hour...popsicles and jello count as liquids and I force 9 to 10 8oz glasses per day for the first wk. I was also pretty tired on a/c and my appetite was sluggish for about 5 days. I did manage to work about 25 hours per week week 1 and closer to 35 hours week 2.

The taxol herceptin is easier. More achiness and bone pain which was relieved believe it or not with allegra which is an antihistamine. I was able to work 36 to 40 hours per week on this combination.

Most people have a neulasta shot which is designed to keep your white blood cell count up. Alot of people complain of achiness with that but I never had any.

I lost my hair about 2 wks into chemo. I lost my eyebrows about 1 wk ago and expect to loose my eyelashes as well.

My biggest piece of advice is this: Exercise as much as you are able. Walk or bike everynight if you can. I also did yoga almost every night. It really helps the fatigue which is accumulative. I would also rinse my mouth out with 1/4 tsp of baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt to 1 cup of warm water about 2 times per day to help prevent mouth sores. I sleep when I can but keep myself busy. I try to eat as good as I can and I try to stay positive.

But remember...and it took my 3 sessions to realize this...you will not feel like you did a year ago while you are on chemo. You are on chemo..you are not supposed to feel great. You will have a new normal and it wont be great but it will be ok. Dont freak out if you ache, you have a sluggish appetite, your heart pounds when you are tired, and you will be tired...when your head says oh, I can clean this house or run 3 miles or work all day and you realize your body says forget it. That is your new normal because you are on chemo.

Hang in there Marlene...we have all been there and will help you get thru this

Hugs
    Linda T
  • spunky56
    spunky56 Member Posts: 12
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi Marlene
    I just finished chemo last wk Friday. I had 4 rounds of adriamycin/cytoxan every 2 wks x 4 sessions, then I started on taxol/herceptin. The taxol was every 2 wks x 4 sessions and the herceptin has been weekly. I go in again on friday for a triple dose of herceptin then will be in every 3 wks for a year.

The port is wonderful and you wont regret having it. I hate needles and unfortunately they have to stick one into the port to access it to give you chemo and draw your labs. I have a rx for emla cream which I gob on about 1 hour before they access the port. It numbs the area so I dont feel the stick. Cover it with a bandaid to keep the cream off your clothes.

I think everyone reacts to chemo differently. Adriamycin/cytoxan is nasty. They usually premed you with antinausea meds and I was given antinausea meds for days 2 and 3 after chemo which helped. Usually the day of chemo and the next day I felt pretty good, but the 2nd day after chemo I felt like I had morning sickness all day. I literally made myself eat and drink every hour...popsicles and jello count as liquids and I force 9 to 10 8oz glasses per day for the first wk. I was also pretty tired on a/c and my appetite was sluggish for about 5 days. I did manage to work about 25 hours per week week 1 and closer to 35 hours week 2.

The taxol herceptin is easier. More achiness and bone pain which was relieved believe it or not with allegra which is an antihistamine. I was able to work 36 to 40 hours per week on this combination.

Most people have a neulasta shot which is designed to keep your white blood cell count up. Alot of people complain of achiness with that but I never had any.

I lost my hair about 2 wks into chemo. I lost my eyebrows about 1 wk ago and expect to loose my eyelashes as well.

My biggest piece of advice is this: Exercise as much as you are able. Walk or bike everynight if you can. I also did yoga almost every night. It really helps the fatigue which is accumulative. I would also rinse my mouth out with 1/4 tsp of baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt to 1 cup of warm water about 2 times per day to help prevent mouth sores. I sleep when I can but keep myself busy. I try to eat as good as I can and I try to stay positive.

But remember...and it took my 3 sessions to realize this...you will not feel like you did a year ago while you are on chemo. You are on chemo..you are not supposed to feel great. You will have a new normal and it wont be great but it will be ok. Dont freak out if you ache, you have a sluggish appetite, your heart pounds when you are tired, and you will be tired...when your head says oh, I can clean this house or run 3 miles or work all day and you realize your body says forget it. That is your new normal because you are on chemo.

Hugs
    Linda T

Hi
    Wow. This is kinda hard. I have just found this site and I am done with all treatments. Chemo, Herceptin, Radiation... Bringing back a lot of feelings...Wow. It is not as bad as one would think. Best advice, is to be honest with your Dr and Chemo team. They know all the tricks to assist. One thing available that I have not heard anyone else mention is the ice gloves. For hands and feet, as Chemo can make your nails come off. Using the gloves helps prevent that separation. I never iced my feet and some of my toenails have white spots on them where they have lifted from the toes-I guess. My last Chemo was Sept. 08 and my nails are still white. Slow growing. Don't be tough, tell them your symptoms even if you don't think it is very important. Going thru this even just on an emotional level is difficult so there is no need to tolerate even small anoyances. You MUST pamper yourself by letting your Team make it as comfortable and less intrusive as possible. Something I was not told was that it takes a year or more after all treatment stops, before we feel somewhat like our old selves. So, try to exercise to keep muscles strong and heart strong. You will have a lot of times when you do not have much energy, but try to work in stretching stuff. Herceptin weakens the heart muscle. *that is what Muga scan is for. Before treatment my number was in the high normal -about 67. My last one was 52 at the near bottom end. Normal is 50-70. They say arobic exercise MAY HELP strengthen the heart. I am not trying to scare you, rather give you info for knowledge. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. Know how to maintain yourself for the best outcome. Let others pamper you with any chores you can, so that you can concentrate on keeping your body and soul as healthy as you can. Your Job Is To Take Care Of You. You are the only one that can do that. Anyone can cook, clean, and mop... :)
  • Marlene_K
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi Marlene

Hugs
    Linda T

Thank you!
    Linda, you really put it out there! Thank you so much! Yes, I guess I'm expecting the worse and will hopefully be pleasantly surprised? It seems much of my life has gone that way. As long as I anticipate the worse, I usually come out ok. At the same time, I am a very positive person so I refuse to think that this will get the best of me.

Again, thank you so much for taking so much time to give me suggestions and I'm sure I'll be back for more!!

Love, Mar
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Marlene_K said:

Thank you!
    Linda, you really put it out there! Thank you so much! Yes, I guess I'm expecting the worse and will hopefully be pleasantly surprised? It seems much of my life has gone that way. As long as I anticipate the worse, I usually come out ok. At the same time, I am a very positive person so I refuse to think that this will get the best of me.

Again, thank you so much for taking so much time to give me suggestions and I'm sure I'll be back for more!!

Love, Mar

Marlene, I did 4 rounds of
    Marlene, I did 4 rounds of AC every 2 weeks. The nausea drug Emend works great. You get 3 pills and you take one the day of chemo and the 1 the next 2 days after. I had no nausea. I am now doing 12 rounds Taxol, I am on round 6 and this is much better except for some bone pain and there is medication for that. I will continue treatment with herceptin for 52 weeks. You will be tired, but it will all be doable. Good luck, let us know how it goes for you.
  • Marlene_K
    spunky56 said:

Hi
    Wow. This is kinda hard. I have just found this site and I am done with all treatments. Chemo, Herceptin, Radiation... Bringing back a lot of feelings...Wow. It is not as bad as one would think. Best advice, is to be honest with your Dr and Chemo team. They know all the tricks to assist. One thing available that I have not heard anyone else mention is the ice gloves. For hands and feet, as Chemo can make your nails come off. Using the gloves helps prevent that separation. I never iced my feet and some of my toenails have white spots on them where they have lifted from the toes-I guess. My last Chemo was Sept. 08 and my nails are still white. Slow growing. Don't be tough, tell them your symptoms even if you don't think it is very important. Going thru this even just on an emotional level is difficult so there is no need to tolerate even small anoyances. You MUST pamper yourself by letting your Team make it as comfortable and less intrusive as possible. Something I was not told was that it takes a year or more after all treatment stops, before we feel somewhat like our old selves. So, try to exercise to keep muscles strong and heart strong. You will have a lot of times when you do not have much energy, but try to work in stretching stuff. Herceptin weakens the heart muscle. *that is what Muga scan is for. Before treatment my number was in the high normal -about 67. My last one was 52 at the near bottom end. Normal is 50-70. They say arobic exercise MAY HELP strengthen the heart. I am not trying to scare you, rather give you info for knowledge. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. Know how to maintain yourself for the best outcome. Let others pamper you with any chores you can, so that you can concentrate on keeping your body and soul as healthy as you can. Your Job Is To Take Care Of You. You are the only one that can do that. Anyone can cook, clean, and mop... :)

Thanks, Spunky!
    My muga was 71... not too sure if that's good or bad as you say 'normal' is 50-70. I used to work out 7 days a week in the mornings, but after I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I stopped. Yea, I now... dumb. It's just that my motivation seemed to slip away. We hear so much about how exercising and staying fit helps deter BC and than we hear that we've got it... huh? No, I'm not bitter, nor will I stay in that frame of mind; I just need to get it back again. It's not like training an old dog new tricks, I just need to restart my engine.

I truly love all the attention on here. I feel so lucky I found this site and that there are such strong women on here to help me through such a very difficult and trying time in my life!

Love, Mar
  • Marlene_K
    Kat11 said:

Marlene, I did 4 rounds of
    Marlene, I did 4 rounds of AC every 2 weeks. The nausea drug Emend works great. You get 3 pills and you take one the day of chemo and the 1 the next 2 days after. I had no nausea. I am now doing 12 rounds Taxol, I am on round 6 and this is much better except for some bone pain and there is medication for that. I will continue treatment with herceptin for 52 weeks. You will be tired, but it will all be doable. Good luck, let us know how it goes for you.

I just found out that I will
    I just found out that I will get my first treatment on Thursday. I am on TAC every 21 days for 6 sessions. I plan to kick butt :) Remind me of this when I'm complaining later on, lol. Thanks, Kat!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Marlene_K said:

I just found out that I will get my first treatment on Thursday. I am on TAC every 21 days for 6 sessions. I plan to kick butt :) Remind me of this when I'm complaining later on, lol. Thanks, Kat!

Wishing you good luck with
    Wishing you good luck with your chemo!

Sue :)
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    Marlene_K said:

Good luck! I hope it is
    Good luck! I hope it is smooth sailing for you. As for the gym, get back in there!!! You need to keep up your strength! Pitt
  • Marlene_K
    pitt said:

Good luck! I hope it is
    Good luck! I hope it is smooth sailing for you. As for the gym, get back in there!!! You need to keep up your strength! Pitt

Thanks
    Well I started yesterday and so far, so good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I haven't ever worked out in the gym... I work out at home and I actually started my routine up again this morning. I feel really great right now. I just hope this keeps up!