Book recommendations?

TraciInLA
TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
In the chemo brain thread earlier this week, Kelly248 recommended the book Your Brain After Chemo: A Practical Guide to Lifting the Fog and Getting Back Your Focus, by Dan Silverman and Idelle Davidson. I bought it immediately, and am really getting some great information out of it (THANK YOU, Kelly!).

This got me to thinking: Are there other breast cancer or general cancer books out there that any of you recommend, that have helped you? Many have suggested Breast Cancer Husband, and Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book -- are there others?

There is some great information on the web, but sometimes I really want and need an actual *book*, something I can keep on my nightstand for when I wake up in the middle of the night, or carry with me to read on the bus, in waiting rooms, etc.

(And...okay...full disclosure...there's one more reason: Maybe VickiSam and I can move on from our hat-shopping compulsions to book-shopping ones -- then we can at least sound scholarly! :-)

Traci

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Have you read Anti Cancer: A New Way of Life?
    That one is very popular and quite good.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    mimivac said:

I would also suggest Anti
    I would also suggest Anti Cancer: A New Way of Life. This book is great, it will change your whole outlook on Cancer. Everyone should read this.
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    You two stop shoppin for
    You two stop shoppin for hats? Yea right like thats going to happen! lol! I think you two are supporting the hat industry!! lol
    tj
  • rainbow4
    rainbow4 Member Posts: 137
    helpful books
    I'm a big reader Dr. Love's Breast Book is at the top of my list. A bc survivor friend loaned me, on my surgery day, "Breast Cancer: Real Questions, Real Answers" by David Chan, MD. Eventually I thought I should return her copy, so bought one for myself. It's the 2006 edition; don't know if there is a more recent one. Another good one, I think, is "The Breast Cancer Survival Manual" by John Link, MD, 4th edition, updated in 2007. And one that's given me SO much information and comfort is "After Breast Cancer - a common-sense guide to life after treatment" by Hester Hill Schnipper, LICSW. She's a bc survivor, her husband is an oncologist. It's helped me many times when I thought I was totally losing it.
    Rainbow4
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    mimivac said:

That is a good book Mimi.
    That is a good book Mimi. Everyone should read it.

Leeza
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    tjhay said:

You two stop shoppin for
    You two stop shoppin for hats? Yea right like thats going to happen! lol! I think you two are supporting the hat industry!! lol
    tj

Alas...
    TJ, you were one of the first people to welcome me to this site, you've always been so supportive....I thought you would support me in my journey toward millinerarian freedom....alas [heavy sigh, back of hand to forehead], I guess not....

(tee, hee)

Traci
  • Victoria1566
    Victoria1566 Member Posts: 23
    rainbow4 said:

helpful books
    I'm a big reader Dr. Love's Breast Book is at the top of my list. A bc survivor friend loaned me, on my surgery day, "Breast Cancer: Real Questions, Real Answers" by David Chan, MD. Eventually I thought I should return her copy, so bought one for myself. It's the 2006 edition; don't know if there is a more recent one. Another good one, I think, is "The Breast Cancer Survival Manual" by John Link, MD, 4th edition, updated in 2007. And one that's given me SO much information and comfort is "After Breast Cancer - a common-sense guide to life after treatment" by Hester Hill Schnipper, LICSW. She's a bc survivor, her husband is an oncologist. It's helped me many times when I thought I was totally losing it.
    Rainbow4

Books
    "The Breast Cancer Survival Manual" helped me too but at times it scared the sh** out of me also. There were many times over the past six months that I didn't want to hear or read another word about cancer so I turned to mindless fiction. The Twilight series by Stephanie Meyers and the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling were great. I had read them all before and saw the movies, so there wasn't much to have to follow. So, it was great when I was medicated or feeling bad to just breeze through the dialogue and familiar plot points. They made me smile.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Books
    "The Breast Cancer Survival Manual" helped me too but at times it scared the sh** out of me also. There were many times over the past six months that I didn't want to hear or read another word about cancer so I turned to mindless fiction. The Twilight series by Stephanie Meyers and the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling were great. I had read them all before and saw the movies, so there wasn't much to have to follow. So, it was great when I was medicated or feeling bad to just breeze through the dialogue and familiar plot points. They made me smile.

It's been a week and I have not purchased any new
    hats .. A success story, indeed. Now on to books .. love it ...

VickiSam
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    VickiSam said:

It's been a week and I have not purchased any new
    hats .. A success story, indeed. Now on to books .. love it ...

VickiSam

Addictions...
    I know what you guys mean. I don't buy hats, but I do start frequent "collections" and become obsessive. Right after chemo ended, I became consumed in finding and buying original editions of the Little House on the Prairie books. So, I was scouring ebay all the time. Now, I am getting into vintage copies of books by the Bronte sisters. Lord. I've also at various times collected pens, hand-made jounrnals, victorian prints, minatures, and cookbooks. I feel your pain!

Mimi
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    My sister gave me "Chicken
    My sister gave me "Chicken Soup for the Cancer Survivors Soul", very good and inspiring short stories of survivors of all kinds of cancer.