Cancer response

fauxma
fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was just thinking that when people say those cancer faux pax, we should just say, Thank you for the (fill in the blank) I couldn't do this without it. Be a little sarcastic so they get it. Yeh, and this works for the kind help, Thank you for (fill in the blank) I truly couldn't do this without out. Be very sincere when stating this.
Stef

Comments

• Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Maybe I should try that, Stef. Though I wouldn't have your flair!
  • fauxma
    Moopy23 said:

Not much flair here. It was
    Not much flair here. It was suppose to be Thank you for the (fill in the blank) I couldn't do this without you. And I write it better than I would say it. But wouldn't it be fun to just say to someone whiling dripping sarcasism.
    Stef
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    fauxma said:

Not much flair here. It was
    Not much flair here. It was suppose to be Thank you for the (fill in the blank) I couldn't do this without you. And I write it better than I would say it. But wouldn't it be fun to just say to someone whiling dripping sarcasism.
    Stef

I'd feel bad if I did that
    I'd feel bad if I did that afterwards. Most people mean well. I might think about it but realize I'd not really want to do it.
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Marcia527 said:

I'd feel bad if I did that afterwards. Most people mean well. I might think about it but realize I'd not really want to do it.

said this before
    I've said this before ... but when someone asks me how I'm doing ... my response is "I'm just FINE." They can take that however they want ... but what I mean is:
    I am:
    Frustrated
    Insecure
    Neurotic
    Exhausted!

It works for me.

And ... when someone tells me something which I think is totally stupid ... I say "that's very interesting, I'd never thought of it that way." They think they have really enlightened me with something brilliant. What I really mean is ... I have never thought of it that way because I actually have a functioning brain and some common sense! So there!

Works for me.

bigs hugs.
    teena
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    tgf said:

said this before
    I've said this before ... but when someone asks me how I'm doing ... my response is "I'm just FINE." They can take that however they want ... but what I mean is:
    I am:
    Frustrated
    Insecure
    Neurotic
    Exhausted!

It works for me.

And ... when someone tells me something which I think is totally stupid ... I say "that's very interesting, I'd never thought of it that way." They think they have really enlightened me with something brilliant. What I really mean is ... I have never thought of it that way because I actually have a functioning brain and some common sense! So there!

Works for me.

bigs hugs.
    teena

Teena, I love your sarcasm.
    Teena, I love your sarcasm. I'll remember these.
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    tgf said:

said this before
    I am:
    Frustrated
    Insecure
    Neurotic
    Exhausted!

It works for me.

Works for me.

bigs hugs.
    teena

Teena!
    " I have never thought of it that way because I actually have a functioning brain and some common sense! "

I LOVE it!
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    I don't have your presence of mind, Stef!
    So, I have developed something that doesn't require a lot of words. When something idiotic is said to me, I just nod and say, "hmmm" or "wow" without much emotion one way or another. Then it sometimes becomes a staring contest, but that part of the conversation is usually over.

Mimi
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    mimivac said:

I don't have your presence of mind, Stef!
    So, I have developed something that doesn't require a lot of words. When something idiotic is said to me, I just nod and say, "hmmm" or "wow" without much emotion one way or another. Then it sometimes becomes a staring contest, but that part of the conversation is usually over.

Mimi

:-D
    Oh dear Mimi I am just imagining you say hmmmm and the other person looking on perplexed, I rather like that response its a keeper, just like you!

Hugs,

RE
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    RE said:

:-D
    Oh dear Mimi I am just imagining you say hmmmm and the other person looking on perplexed, I rather like that response its a keeper, just like you!

Hugs,

RE

Mimi, sometimes the fewer
    Mimi, sometimes the fewer words used are the most effective. Hmmmm is definitely a one word shut down, especially when followed by utter silence. I have done that myself, and it positively works, and usually causes a light bulb to go on in the other person's eyes. I like that....stupid is stupid, even if it's on a stick....that's what my Grandmother used to say. Hugs.

Judy
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Moopy23 said:

Moopster ♥
    I love your hair! You look so pretty!

♥Love, Jeanne♥
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867

Mimi, sometimes the fewer
    Mimi, sometimes the fewer words used are the most effective. Hmmmm is definitely a one word shut down, especially when followed by utter silence. I have done that myself, and it positively works, and usually causes a light bulb to go on in the other person's eyes. I like that....stupid is stupid, even if it's on a stick....that's what my Grandmother used to say. Hugs.

Judy

Forrest GUMP
    Didn't Forrest's Momma say that " Stupid is as Stupid does!" Perfect! A lot of times I just smile when someone says something stupid. Then, they don't know if I liked it, hated it or just don't care.

♥Love, The Not So Silent Jeanne Today♥
  • fauxma
    Jeanne D said:

Forrest GUMP
    Didn't Forrest's Momma say that " Stupid is as Stupid does!" Perfect! A lot of times I just smile when someone says something stupid. Then, they don't know if I liked it, hated it or just don't care.

♥Love, The Not So Silent Jeanne Today♥

Sometimes the silence does
    Sometimes the silence does say more than anything else. And while I would like to say things back to people when they blurt out idiotic things I don't because:
    1. Been there, done that
    2. They are mostly well meaning
    3. If they are not, karma will take care of them better than I every could
    4. Why would I stoop to their level

These were just my "in my mind" snappy retorts. They help me to deal with the silly or hurtful remarks.

Stef
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    fauxma said:

Sometimes the silence does say more than anything else. And while I would like to say things back to people when they blurt out idiotic things I don't because:
    1. Been there, done that

These were just my "in my mind" snappy retorts. They help me to deal with the silly or hurtful remarks.

Stef

Love your snappy retorts!
    It's great to think of these things and fantasize!
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Marcia527 said:

ROFLOL!!!
    Thanks for the laugh! Pammy
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    fauxma said:

1. Been there, done that

Stef

:-X
    Don't they say silence is golden? I think it does say a lot. I need to start doing that more.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    tgf said:

said this before
    I am:
    Frustrated
    Insecure
    Neurotic
    Exhausted!

It works for me.

Works for me.

bigs hugs.
    teena

Love that
    teena,thanks!