Just some hair left

laurissa
laurissa Member Posts: 773
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
This evening my hair is like the pouring rain we're having. Finally, I'll get this stage over with. I think the thought of losing your hair is worse than actually losing it. I'm really not that upset about it. My brush looks like a hamster and it's all over the bedding. But I'm still not ready to shave it, probably the weekend. I know I'll have to wear something on my head tomorrow, it's just falling out on it's own. It's quite a phenomenon, isn't it? You chemo girls following me, it's not that bad, just means the chemo is working!

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    When my mom's hair starting
    When my mom's hair starting falling out, she went and got it buzzed. That way, it didn't get in her food and all over the place.

I'm glad that you're doing OK about losing it. And you're right ... it does mean that the chemo is working.

Take care,
    dh
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Laurissa, I am glad that you
    Laurissa, I am glad that you aren't too upset. I can't imagine what it is like. And yes, it means the chemo is working and that you are fighting bc with all that you can! You are a brave warrior!

Sue :)
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    Good job Laurissa! The
    Good job Laurissa! The chemo is working and we will get through this. It will grow back!!! I do advise shaving it though. It will still continue to fall out, especially in the shower, but it won't be as gross! But keep in mind, I'm a little OCD. So what worked for me, doesn't have to be your path...

Best of luck!
    Pitt
  • patti anne
    patti anne Member Posts: 101
    pitt said:

Good job Laurissa! The
    Good job Laurissa! The chemo is working and we will get through this. It will grow back!!! I do advise shaving it though. It will still continue to fall out, especially in the shower, but it won't be as gross! But keep in mind, I'm a little OCD. So what worked for me, doesn't have to be your path...

Best of luck!
    Pitt

husband shaved mine
    My husband shaved my head a few days after my second treatment. It was just coming out in handfuls and it was time. It was very difficult for him to do, but like everything else, we got through it together.

My 14 yr old daughter actually fainted after seeing me with a shaved head. We think that it really hit her that this cancer was real because now I looked like I had cancer and was just too much to take. We laugh about it now, but she sure scared me as I saw her going down!
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    Be strong
    Hey Laurissa..I see you cut your hair. It looks great..I like it better than before. However, if its coming out that bad you need to shave it girl...gonna have a big mess on your hands. You are right, the thought of having no hair is worse than not having it. I agree totally...but be strong. I know you can do it..
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Hi Laurissa
    It really bothered me to watch it fall out so the second day my hair was falling out I shaved my head. It was easier for me to just get it over with, I knew it was going to be gone anyway. My daughter came to my house and first she cut it all as short as she could get it, then she took my husbands electric razor and put it on the lowest setting and buzzed it, then we took a regular razor and finish it. When I was all done, she said "MOM, you have the most adorable head ever" We tried on all my hats and scarfs and in a day I was comfortable with it. It is very sad losing your hair but it's one more hurdle you overcome on the road to dancing with Ned. Hang in there girl, you will get past this one and see it's not so bad after-all :)
    Thinking of You!!
    Kari
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Laurissa, you have the right
    Laurissa, you have the right attitude about it. It's a shock at first but I must say it definately cuts down on the "getting ready" time. You'll be used to it in no time and I'm sure you'll be as adorable bald as with your new cute short cut! Good luck.
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    LAURISSA
    You are so brave! I did the same as you, got my hair cut shorter first to get used ot it. But then it got so depressing to have it come out in clumps, that I had hubby shave it. I left it about half inch though! It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!! Good Luck and Hugs, Diane
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    I think I'm ready
    I think I will do something like Kari did and someone else here that let their kids get involved with taking it off. I somehow think my 11 year old will get a kick out of cutting my hair... I could be wrong. I've read so much on here about taking control and taking it off ourselves. It's about the only thing on this journey we DO have control of. I wish you luck with whatever you chose to do Laurissa and I'm glad it's not so devastating anymore. My girlfriend today trimmed my hair because I wanted pieces to be able to match a wig (actually 3, lol) that I'm ordering from online. She wanted to trim it up for me and has always wanted to cut it shorter. I let her. She said 'wow, you'll let me do anything'. I said 'it's only hair. I just want to live'! WE WILL SURVIVE!!
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Marlene_K said:

I think I'm ready
    I think I will do something like Kari did and someone else here that let their kids get involved with taking it off. I somehow think my 11 year old will get a kick out of cutting my hair... I could be wrong. I've read so much on here about taking control and taking it off ourselves. It's about the only thing on this journey we DO have control of. I wish you luck with whatever you chose to do Laurissa and I'm glad it's not so devastating anymore. My girlfriend today trimmed my hair because I wanted pieces to be able to match a wig (actually 3, lol) that I'm ordering from online. She wanted to trim it up for me and has always wanted to cut it shorter. I let her. She said 'wow, you'll let me do anything'. I said 'it's only hair. I just want to live'! WE WILL SURVIVE!!

Hair today, gone tomorrow
    Hi again, you are being so pragmatic about this...........good for you, I chose to get my hair cut real short (it looked horrible) before it fell out, my Sister in law recommended this so it wouldn't upset me too much, it coming out by the handful......it worked. When it started falling like snowflakes, I pulled a few handfuls out then got my husband to shave it off..........I cried like a total wuss...........
    BUT........It soon grew back, and looks better than it did (even though it is shorter) As my best friend said.......... : Id rather have a Bald friend than a dead friend.. Hugs to you Hun, It gets easier from hereon.
    Hugs Jxxxxxx