Gabapentin for hot flashes

Options
pinkkari09
pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My hot flashes after chemo number 4 of adriamycin and cytoxan were really bad! They happened all day long and kept me up most the night. My doc prescribed GABAPENTIN. The hot flashes are GONE, I can't believe it, it's almost too good to be true. Has anyone else ever taken this drug?? Looking for any troublesome side effects, it is an anti seizure med, but it works wonders on hot flashes!
Have a wonderful Friday,
Kari

Comments

• elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Options
    That's great!
    I have not heard of it but interested to find out what others have to say.
    Glad that it is keeping you more comfortable.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Neuropathy
    That is what I took your med for. Another name for it is "Neurontin". I stopped taking it before I started the Tamoxifen (which causes hotflashes). If mine get too bad, maybe I will go back on it. Pammy
  • lszk4kids
    lszk4kids Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Gabapentin
    Kari, I just finishe a 6 day clinical trial on gabapentin, and I'm really impressed! My first chemo was last Friday, and Sat. I flew to MO to spend some time with my twin expecting daughter, and 2 yr. old grandson......I have only experianced slight nausea, more of "spit up" instead of vomitting, twice. Headache (tylenol) heartburn (sips of water or ginger ale). Have not slept very well, but compared to the "how it could be"?
    I am hoping that I can continue with the gabapentin after my next treatments, even though I'm done with the study. Momentariy thought about not useing, just to prove if it was the drug, but since I'm going home for my chemo and then returning to Mo for the birth of these boys...I want the drug.....if I can. Prayers, Karen
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Options
    lszk4kids said:

Gabapentin
    Kari, I just finishe a 6 day clinical trial on gabapentin, and I'm really impressed! My first chemo was last Friday, and Sat. I flew to MO to spend some time with my twin expecting daughter, and 2 yr. old grandson......I have only experianced slight nausea, more of "spit up" instead of vomitting, twice. Headache (tylenol) heartburn (sips of water or ginger ale). Have not slept very well, but compared to the "how it could be"?
    I am hoping that I can continue with the gabapentin after my next treatments, even though I'm done with the study. Momentariy thought about not useing, just to prove if it was the drug, but since I'm going home for my chemo and then returning to Mo for the birth of these boys...I want the drug.....if I can. Prayers, Karen

Iszk4kids...
    I just had to comment that your daughter has a 2 yr old son and is expecting twin boys! Oh the joy!! This is exactly what happened to my daughter! Her first boy was just shy of 2 yrs old when she gave birth to twins. She had to have a C section because one of the babies was in distress, but they are fine now...they'll be 3 on december 1st. I hope all goes well with your daughter and the babies. I hope all goes well with your treeatments too.

God bless you. Gracie