pain from expanders

ruthielaine
ruthielaine Member Posts: 59
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
does anyone else suffer from extreme pain from the expanders? I no sooner start to get a handle on it and its time to go for my weekly expansion and its horrendous that night - am I just a wimp? I'm sick of taking pain pills and my Doc says I should be able to handle it with tylenol but that does nothing for me. Help!!!

Comments

• contrail
    contrail Member Posts: 129
    No You're Not a Whimp!
    I had an expander put in when I had my mastectomy last December, and I know what you mean about pain. I haven't had excruciating pain, but there's always a nagging uncomfortable feeling. I had my last expansion in June, right before I began radiation, and I still have that feeling. Thankfully, I have my reconstructive surgery in December, and I can get rid of the expander. Anyway, hang in there, because this too shall end.
  • ruthielaine
    ruthielaine Member Posts: 59
    contrail said:

No You're Not a Whimp!
    I had an expander put in when I had my mastectomy last December, and I know what you mean about pain. I haven't had excruciating pain, but there's always a nagging uncomfortable feeling. I had my last expansion in June, right before I began radiation, and I still have that feeling. Thankfully, I have my reconstructive surgery in December, and I can get rid of the expander. Anyway, hang in there, because this too shall end.

thanks contrail
    I read your "about me" section and wish I had your posivite attitue - I have to kick myself in the butt and get on with life - you are so right there are no guarantees in life. I see your having radiation after expanders - I was told I should'nt have implants if I'm having radiation but of course when I made by initial decision, I was told I wouldn't have to have radiation but now I do. My plastic surgeon wasn't too happy - what does your Plastic surgeon say about your reconstructive surgery after radiation?
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    :-(
    Sorry the expander's are causing you such distress, they do hurt. Perhaps your surgeon is putting too much in too soon, be sure to express your discomfort when you see him for your next fill. Mine hurt too, but once they were out and the implant place in it was much better. I still had discomfort for several more months but not as bad. Hope things improve for you soon.

Hugs,

RE
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    My pain isn't intolerable
    My pain isn't intolerable but when I started rads i had to get the expander fully expanded to 700cc's ...ouch! Now it's a big round hard glob!
    1517 Member Posts: 15
    expander
    expander -- pain -- put together -- it's tough, and don't let anyone say it's not. My friends in our support group said it was tough for them too.Had mine in June and am still uncomfortable - espically after a long day. I'm hoping after I get the implant it will ease after awhile. Do ask you Dr. to not fill it with as much fluid as when he did it the last time. Sometimes our skin just doesn't want to strech as far as they think it should. The best of Luck to you!!
  • contrail
    contrail Member Posts: 129

thanks contrail
    I read your "about me" section and wish I had your posivite attitue - I have to kick myself in the butt and get on with life - you are so right there are no guarantees in life. I see your having radiation after expanders - I was told I should'nt have implants if I'm having radiation but of course when I made by initial decision, I was told I wouldn't have to have radiation but now I do. My plastic surgeon wasn't too happy - what does your Plastic surgeon say about your reconstructive surgery after radiation?

I had to have all the
    I had to have all the expansions completed before the radiation began. I decided to go smaller. I was a D, now I'll be a C, which is fine with me. Anyway, my plastic surgeon told me that I wouldn't be able to have an implant after radiation, mainly because of scar tissue. I'll be having DIEP Flap surgery in December. He told me there was a 1%-3% chance that the surgery would fail. I figured those were pretty good odds. Hopefully, it'll be successful. Needless to say, I'm nervous, but ready to get on with it. I'm tired of this hard, uncomfortable blob stuck to my chest. My plastic surgeon wasn't real happy about the results of radiation either, but now that it's been nearly five months, things are looking better and he thinks we should be able to go ahead with the surgery. Keep me posted as to your progress, and do talk to your oncologist about your pain. Maybe they're adding too much saline at one time.
  • geochick
    geochick Member Posts: 18 Member

thanks contrail

Expander pain
    I have had my 4th expansion, so far total volume is 360 cc. I get 60cc every 14 days. I told my doc today that I was ready to be done with them. The pain, the spasms~ he reassured me that, "it is worth it. Soon, this will be a distant memory."

You are not alone. Hang in there.
    JENNA