How can we stay well while on chemo?

Options
Marlene_K
Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm starting my first treatment the day after tomorrow. I have two boys that live at home with me; they are 17 & 11. I also have a daughter away @ college in Boston. With the boys in school, it seems like they are always coming down with something this time of year... between a cough, the sniffles or a sore throat. Thankfully, I rarely got sick. I was always a true believer in "Airborne". As soon as I would feel a slight ache or pain as a sign of something coming on, I would take "Airborne" and would feel better the next day. My oncologist told me I can't take that. I'm scared to death! I know the normal washing of our hands, and spraying Lysol around the house to keep germs at bay, but are there any other tidbits on how to keep from getting sick with kids around? My older son just complained of a sore throat, my little guy has the sniffles, and I'm feeling something coming on myself. Will this stop me from getting my first treatment? UGHH... so much to think about, my head hurts!

Comments

• e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    Options
    I too have kids.. 3 small
    I too have kids.. 3 small ones (7, 4, and 2)... Other than hand washing and lysol.. you need to stay well rested and try to eat a balanced diet. You need the rest to allow your body time to recoup... best of luck to you...
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Hi Marlene
    I agree with the previous post and would add exercise to the mix. Do what you can but try to do something every day, like walk the dog or yoga. Any make sure to get enough sleep and drink lots of liquids.

Hugs
    Linda T
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi Marlene
    I agree with the previous post and would add exercise to the mix. Do what you can but try to do something every day, like walk the dog or yoga. Any make sure to get enough sleep and drink lots of liquids.

Hugs
    Linda T

Hand sanitizer, hand sanitizer, hand sanitizer
    I was all about the hand sanitizer during chemo. I have bottles EVERYWHERE -- all over the house, all over work, small ones in my purse, wipes in my purse to wipe off shopping carts and baskets. A pump bottle by the front door -- everyone who entered my house had to use it.

The Mayo Clinic takes the position that hand sanitizers are "more effective than soap and water in killing bacteria and viruses that cause disease." The CDC recommends the use of hand sanitizers that contain at least 60% alcohol, so check the label to make sure.

I actually kind of had fun trying all the different brands and scents: Method has two nice scents in pretty bottles, and Purell has some pocket-sized spray ones that are good to carry in your purse.

Hope that helps,

Traci
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Right. Just do your best.
    Also, ask your doctor whether he plans to do Nuelasta shots after each treatment. These keep your white blood cell count up and may help you from being extra vulnerable to bacteria and such. Good luck. I did my chemo during the fall and winter months as well and didn't get sick.

Mimi
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    Options
    Stay hydrated
    Drink lots of water and try to stay totally hydrated. It will help with a lot with your chemo but it will also keeps the parts of your body that let germs in more moist. They need a way to get into under your skin and if you're hydrated, they can't find that as easily. Plus it flushes your system of germs you might have.

I totally agree with everyone on the hand sanitizer - use it all the time and make your kids too! I work in an elemnetary school and my kids get tired of me handing them the sanitizer all the time but we're two months into school and so far so good! No colds! (Knock on wood - don't want to jinx it!)
  • Crystlesmom
    Crystlesmom Member Posts: 20
    Options
    mimivac said:

Right. Just do your best.
    Also, ask your doctor whether he plans to do Nuelasta shots after each treatment. These keep your white blood cell count up and may help you from being extra vulnerable to bacteria and such. Good luck. I did my chemo during the fall and winter months as well and didn't get sick.

Mimi

Antibiotics
    I'm on 6 rounds of TAC with the Nuelasta shot after each round (Round 5 tomorrow)...even with the Nuelasta shot,my WBC drops below 1.0....last time it was 900. But he also prescribes a potent antibiotic that I start taking on day five after each chemo treatment.......I'm not sure if it helps, but I havent' had any secondary infections so far....keeping my fingers and toes crossed :) Of course, I've had almost every side effect that you've heard about!! LOL Take care and you'll do fine...........