Coping

Options
Crystlesmom
Crystlesmom Member Posts: 20
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
...you all have been such an inspiration to me. Most of the times, I'm not logged on, just lurking (not in a creepy way) 'cause I'm at work reading the posts. I have learned so many different things and ways to cope with this "stuff" from all of you.

I'm getting ready to received chemo #5, of six treatments. All six treatments are TAC and have been really difficult to deal with. Can any of you tell me........do you think 4 treatments are enough and how do they determine the number of treatments?

I love my doctor....he's the greatest and so is his P.A.....always ready to listen and he's so understanding and caring and I truly believe he cares about me :>)....but this is one question he just doesn't answer with anything other than.....you need six....it's the best treatment.....and you'll get through it.........I don't think my body, nor my mind can take anymore.....each treatment is worse than the previous.....

Hope I don't sound like a whiner.....I sometimes feel like a wimp!! LOL

Prayers and best wishes to all of you!!

Carla

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    It is tough to get through
    It is tough to get through treatment. I had 4 cycles of A/C before surgery and 4 cycles of Taxotere after and then 6 weeks of radiation. I got really sick. Before surgery I thought the 4 cycles would be all I needed. After surgery I was told I'd need 4 more cycles of chemo. I was really upset but I did it. If your doctor says you need six then really try to get through it. But it is your decision. After treatment is over you will forget the pain so make sure you do what you will be able to live with later.
  • Crystlesmom
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

It is tough to get through
    It is tough to get through treatment. I had 4 cycles of A/C before surgery and 4 cycles of Taxotere after and then 6 weeks of radiation. I got really sick. Before surgery I thought the 4 cycles would be all I needed. After surgery I was told I'd need 4 more cycles of chemo. I was really upset but I did it. If your doctor says you need six then really try to get through it. But it is your decision. After treatment is over you will forget the pain so make sure you do what you will be able to live with later.

Thanks.....
    .....Marcia527. I really appreciate your input. You've been thought a lot, too. My prayers are with you and you're right about making sure you can live with your decisions later :>)
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options

Thanks.....
    .....Marcia527. I really appreciate your input. You've been thought a lot, too. My prayers are with you and you're right about making sure you can live with your decisions later :>)

Coping
    I had 4 treatments of A/C(once every other week) then 12 treatments of Taxol w/Herceptin(once a week for 12 wks) now I am on Herceptin alone(once every three wks for a year) I will finish this last treatment in August of 2010.

I was diagnosed 12/8/08. Double mastectomy w/tissue expanders 2/2/09(my 45th birthday). Will be having the tissue expanders taken out and replaced with permanent ones 11/10/09.

I have a 6 year old son who I have explained everything to and he seems to understand. I want to live to see him grow up so I will do anything to make that happen.

Hugs to you,
    Margo
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Options
    Carla
    First you are in my heart and prayers. I have done the same thing and just creeped on the board. Reading from everyone helped me alot. Im so sorry you are having such a difficult time with your treatments. Everyone is not the same and there has to be a reason why your doc ordered six for you and not just four. Ive seen all kinds of different treatments that others get on here. You are not a whiner either. Your body is going through hell right now and your feelings are totally real. Do you have nausea meds that you are taking? Any kind of meds you take after treatments? Oh, and you are definately not a wimp!! You are taking a beating right now. Dont be so hard on yourself. I just feel so bad that you are feeling you cant continue or do anymore. I can totally understand why you would feel that way though. Just try to think only two to go and maybe the next wont be as bad. I honestly dont know and you dont know what the next will bring. I know that your dr wouldnt have told you six if he didnt think it was best for you. I will pray for you. Try to continue with the last two. I know you dont want to, but in the end it will be worth it. What was your dx anyways? What stage? My heart goes out to you. Try to bring your head back up. I know it doesnt seem possible, but only two to go. Im so sorry for you.

take care and come back to vent again and keep us posted on what you decide. We will still be here no matter what. If you truely feel you cant go with another one then talk to your dr and tell him. Maybe he will have another plan for you. Dont beat yourself up over it. Talk with your dr, i think truely thats what you should do. Just dont give up. You will get thru this battle i am like all the others here.

take care
    laura
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    lolad said:

Carla
    First you are in my heart and prayers. I have done the same thing and just creeped on the board. Reading from everyone helped me alot. Im so sorry you are having such a difficult time with your treatments. Everyone is not the same and there has to be a reason why your doc ordered six for you and not just four. Ive seen all kinds of different treatments that others get on here. You are not a whiner either. Your body is going through hell right now and your feelings are totally real. Do you have nausea meds that you are taking? Any kind of meds you take after treatments? Oh, and you are definately not a wimp!! You are taking a beating right now. Dont be so hard on yourself. I just feel so bad that you are feeling you cant continue or do anymore. I can totally understand why you would feel that way though. Just try to think only two to go and maybe the next wont be as bad. I honestly dont know and you dont know what the next will bring. I know that your dr wouldnt have told you six if he didnt think it was best for you. I will pray for you. Try to continue with the last two. I know you dont want to, but in the end it will be worth it. What was your dx anyways? What stage? My heart goes out to you. Try to bring your head back up. I know it doesnt seem possible, but only two to go. Im so sorry for you.

take care and come back to vent again and keep us posted on what you decide. We will still be here no matter what. If you truely feel you cant go with another one then talk to your dr and tell him. Maybe he will have another plan for you. Dont beat yourself up over it. Talk with your dr, i think truely thats what you should do. Just dont give up. You will get thru this battle i am like all the others here.

take care
    laura

yes, it is awful
    Caria,
    I understand your pain. I had taxotere/ cytoxan 6 cycles every 3 weeks.
    I was diagnosed with Stage III and did everything I was told. It was relatively ok for me until #4 and then really awful #5 and #6. When I finished my oncologist said that "I have been a tough lady".
    I did not want to be tough, but I did it for my family. I wish I can comfort you or give advice, or say that it is going to be easy. Asks your oncologist and explain your symptoms, so he will give you medications to combat side effects.
    Hugs,
    New Flower
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    wimp???absolutely not!!!
    you have had four cycles of having someone push poison in your body, you are strong! You are over halfway there! Yes, it gets hard, but the benefit is your chances of recurrence drop considerably.
    Hang in there, whine, complain, b*tch, whatever it takes, you are entitled to do it, and we here, understand.
    You will make it.
    Cat
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    cats_toy said:

wimp???absolutely not!!!
    you have had four cycles of having someone push poison in your body, you are strong! You are over halfway there! Yes, it gets hard, but the benefit is your chances of recurrence drop considerably.
    Hang in there, whine, complain, b*tch, whatever it takes, you are entitled to do it, and we here, understand.
    You will make it.
    Cat

You whine or post whatever
    You whine or post whatever you want, anytime you want on here. Chemo is hard and we all know that and understand. Praying for you!

HUGS
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

You whine or post whatever
    You whine or post whatever you want, anytime you want on here. Chemo is hard and we all know that and understand. Praying for you!

HUGS

Whiner, I think NOT .. Just venting .. out of frustration
    I am on Chemo .. TCH wk 1, herceptin wk 2 and herceptin wk 3 which equals 3 straight weeks of chemo or 1 cycle.. I don't get a break, in fact I am going for 18 weeks of chem . I am scheduled to complete my 18 weeks in early January. Beleive me when I say, that I've had 6 straight weeks of chemo, and it SUCKS .. all the various side efforts, not to mention the fatigue. Week #7 starts tomorrow, with TCH .. so I have a white board on my refig .. counting down the 18 weeks .. week 7 .. 11 more weeks to go. According to what I read, and postings .. my chemo is very aggressive up front, and herceptin every 3 weeks for 6 months afterwards is very doable in my book.

My onc has indiciated that I will see him starting early Feb. once every 3 weeks for herceptin drips. My final day of herceptin chemo is July 2010.

I will not be on any other drug i.e. taxol or otherwise, as I am ER/PR negative. Herceptin is needed for my Her2 positive status. TCH is for my DCIS breast cancer, or so I've been told.

Bi-lateral scheduled for early 2010 - seeing plastic surgeon again on November 3rd.

I get frustrated and anger .. due to the waiting for appointments, the poking and sticking of needles, and the endless time spent in waiting rooms.

Keep moving forward .. You are a Warrior, and so many of us breast cancer sisters are watching and praying for you to cross the finish line with Chemo treatments.

Strength and Courage,

VickiSam
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    carla.
    I am sorry you are having such a hard time with chemo.I am doing 4 rounds .one every 3wks.Unfortuntly I had all the side effects with first treatment.I really didn,t know if i could do any more.but thank God this second one has not been as bad.But i know what you mean.it is not easy getting through it.but we will do it.We can not let this beast beat us.good luck. Love and prayers.(Pat).
  • Crystlesmom
    Options
    ppurdin said:

carla.
    I am sorry you are having such a hard time with chemo.I am doing 4 rounds .one every 3wks.Unfortuntly I had all the side effects with first treatment.I really didn,t know if i could do any more.but thank God this second one has not been as bad.But i know what you mean.it is not easy getting through it.but we will do it.We can not let this beast beat us.good luck. Love and prayers.(Pat).

Thanks....
    ....everyone!! You have all been such a help and I've read and reread all your responses.. I will be getting my 5th treatment this Thursday and I know I'll survive (smile)....mostly all thanks to you all!!

BTW.....stage 2, spread to my lymphnodes..............

You all are my heroes!!

Carla