Restaging?????? What Does That Mean?????

idlehunters
idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I have a PET scheduled for 9/26 and I got a letter in the mail from the Oncology Center saying this scan is for restaging. HUH? I thought once a IV always a IV...right???

Jennie

Comments

• shrevebud
    shrevebud Member Posts: 105
    Staging
    Hi Jennie:

I imagine that they are using this terminology for billing purposes - sort of like for medical justification as to why they are doing the scan - to see whether there has been any progression of disease or hopefully, improvement. Just my thoughts on the subject. I wouldn't take this as cause to worry. This will also probably be how they code the procedure for billing purposes. Take care. Roy
  • eric38
    eric38 Member Posts: 583
    shrevebud said:

Staging
    Hi Jennie:

I imagine that they are using this terminology for billing purposes - sort of like for medical justification as to why they are doing the scan - to see whether there has been any progression of disease or hopefully, improvement. Just my thoughts on the subject. I wouldn't take this as cause to worry. This will also probably be how they code the procedure for billing purposes. Take care. Roy

It Was Explained To Me By My Onc
    My oncologist described it as that you are always considered stage 4 but there are various stages along the way such as when you are in remission or there is low activity you are restaged for the moment. You can be restaged temporarily, so it is what you are at that time. So you can be restaged to stage 2 but since they never think that you will stay that way you are always stage 4. I have no idea if that makes sense to you but that is how it works.

Eric
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    eric38 said:

It Was Explained To Me By My Onc
    My oncologist described it as that you are always considered stage 4 but there are various stages along the way such as when you are in remission or there is low activity you are restaged for the moment. You can be restaged temporarily, so it is what you are at that time. So you can be restaged to stage 2 but since they never think that you will stay that way you are always stage 4. I have no idea if that makes sense to you but that is how it works.

Eric

My Onc...
    ... Told me you don't necessaarily get restaged to a lower stage of cancer, once a 3 or 4, always a 3 or 4, maybe it depends on the onc?

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • eric38
    eric38 Member Posts: 583
    Shayenne said:

My Onc...
    ... Told me you don't necessaarily get restaged to a lower stage of cancer, once a 3 or 4, always a 3 or 4, maybe it depends on the onc?

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

Maybe that was just the way
    Maybe that was just the way I understood it. I apologize if I gave false information.

Eric