New to this

minibull
minibull Member Posts: 56 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
After reading most of your replies and comments, I felt so warmed about your supportive comments that it prompted to join in. I am also a new member of the Cancer Club having just been diagnosed last Friday 10/16 during a colonoscopy. Doc thinks that the mass has invaded the walls but doesn't know what stage I'm in. Due to see a surgeon 10/20 and am really scared but impatient to know how sick I am. I didn't have any symptoms except some blood was detected when I took the stool card test which prompted the colonoscopy. I feel great and cannot believe that I'm sick! I don't have any small children but I do have a husband and dogs who really need me around. My mind set right now is that I'm going to die within a few months and I know that I have to get out of this mode if my treatment is goind to be helpful. Anxiety and fear are my constant companions! I'll be checking back daily because reading about survivors is so inspiring.
Kathleen808, I also live in Hawaii and I want to know why you folks decided to go the mainland for your husband's surgery. Did you think that the docs there were better? I'm faced with that question and wonder if MD Anderson or Mayo would be better.

Comments

• dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Hi Minibull! Please don't
    Hi Minibull! Please don't think you'll be 'dead in months'! We have members who've been cancer free for 11 or more years.

Has your doctor scheduled a CT scan? You'll need to have that done to determine if you have cancer in other organs. As it is right now, you might just be a Stag IIB.

Vit. D3
    Calcium
    Exercise
    Mediterranean Diet
    Aspirin

These all have been shown to help cc patients. No aspirin pre surgery or during chemo, tho. :o)

Welcome and hang in there! You'll do GREAT!
    Diane
  • PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    maybe stage 2
    Cancer invading the colon wall might make it stage 2 --- just to take a guess. I had stage 2a rectal cancer over 3 years ago and I was treated successfully in Hawaii. I seem to be fine, now. Even if you turn out to have a more severe type of cancer than I did, you have a good chance of surviving.

I had my LAR operation at Castle Medical Center with Dr. Noguchi (who is not a board certified colorectal surgeon). I can't tell you about the pros and cons of being treated here in Hawaii, except that I never had any reason to doubt the quality of my own therapy here. Perhaps there would be more reason to travel to the mainland if your case is less routine than mine was.

--Greg
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    PLEASE PLEASE!
    Change your mind set to "I'm going to live a long life and cancer will not get me!"

Mind games can really weigh in on survival times. Seriously.

I worked with a woman (back in the early 80's) who got a cancer diagnosis and said, well, this is it and she died 2 weeks later. She put her mind to dying and then she did. My sister, on the other hand, had end stage cancer and put her mind to living and she did for quite some time and had a baby before her body gave out. PLEASE get your mind in the game. You will need it big time!

Just my $.02 worth.

peace, emily
  • grammadebbie
    grammadebbie Member Posts: 464
    Fight,Fight,Fight
    Dear Minibull,

I know it's hard but you really have to have a fighting spirit. You have a journey ahead of you that will require your mindset to be one of a fighter. You can't let this monster win. There are many many people that have advanced stage colon cancer that have beat it. Of course you will be on the emotional and physical rollercoaster that comes with this journey. You will have support from everyone here. People here really care for one another and will be here for you. We understand and want to encourage you. Put on your armor and lets go for it. Just think of your husband and doggies when you get down and that will help you to refocus.

Blessings to you,

Debbie (gramma)
  • just4Brooks
    just4Brooks Member Posts: 980 Member
    Welcome to the board. Sorry
    Welcome to the board. Sorry to hear about your news. My name is Brooks and I have stage 3 rectal cancer. I have went through 6 ½ weeks of chemo and radiation and then on August 13 surgery to remove the tumor. Surgery went great and the tumor showed NO signs of cancer left from the treatments. Now I’m at home and have done 3 treatments my final round of chemo. Stay strong, Bring somebody with you to all appointments becouse you wont remember anything the doctors will tell you. I had my wife. PM me if you need to.
  • shrevebud
    shrevebud Member Posts: 105
    Hi Mini:

Welcome to this forum. I too experienced a range of emotions when I was first diagnosed. I am stage IV colon and was initially told that I might have 9-12 months. I'm still here going on three years now (spring 2010 will be 3 years). I have continued to work and push myself to keep going. Sometimes it's hard but I believe that having that "I'm going to make it" attitude goes a long way in our journey/fight with cancer. I saw my internist a month or so ago and even he said that continuing to work has probably helped keep me alive. I'm not going to say that it's all been easy. Right now my tumor is growing and I've had some new spots show up on the CT scan I had last week. Plus I'm having a lot of pain so that makes me feel bad. Still not ready to give up and I hope that you don't either. There are a lot of experienced people on this forum and I've learned from them as well as sharing my experiences with people new to the board. I am just a few hours away from MD Anderson in Houston and considered going there in the beginning. I've heard a lot of good things about them but if you can get good quality care where you are you might want to try that first. I found that trying to keep things as normal as possible seemed to help me and going away like that would have been disruptive to my routine and lifestyle. I have faith that you and your doctor will make the decisions that are best for you. Take care. Roy
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Hi
    Hey, Minibull.

Glad to have you here, because it's a good place to talk about all things cancer, plus anything else on your mind. Please don't think you're doomed because of your diagnosis. Give it time, find out what you're dealing with, and then fight, fight, fight.

We'll be here to support you.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    You just got the news a
    You just got the news a couple of days ago. You are doing great for reaching out looking for answers and support! Shocking isn't it? You will have some more answers on the 20th- yet a lot won't be answered until after more testing and until after surgery. My initial consult with a colorectal surgeon- first it took over a week to get into see him and then he couldn't even schedule my surgery for 6 weeks out. I got a second opinion at Mayo (I live about 100 miles north in Minneapolis)and within a weeks time all testing was done and I was recovering from surgery! The treatment between the 2 were the same, both known colorectal surgeons- the biggest reason with going to Mayo was I just felt like they took it more seriously and more professionally. I have never doubted my care, the surgeon or followup surgeries (I have had 2 follow ups at Mayo). More than anything all the way through my human being cells, I believed I was getting the best care possible. One of the things that Mayo said right up front was that many people just have the testing and 2nd opinion done at Mayo and return back to their home for the surgery. But ya know, after visiting Mayo, the testing, meeting with the surgeon- I knew I wanted everything handled there. They are that good.
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    Patteee said:

You just got the news a
    You just got the news a couple of days ago. You are doing great for reaching out looking for answers and support! Shocking isn't it? You will have some more answers on the 20th- yet a lot won't be answered until after more testing and until after surgery. My initial consult with a colorectal surgeon- first it took over a week to get into see him and then he couldn't even schedule my surgery for 6 weeks out. I got a second opinion at Mayo (I live about 100 miles north in Minneapolis)and within a weeks time all testing was done and I was recovering from surgery! The treatment between the 2 were the same, both known colorectal surgeons- the biggest reason with going to Mayo was I just felt like they took it more seriously and more professionally. I have never doubted my care, the surgeon or followup surgeries (I have had 2 follow ups at Mayo). More than anything all the way through my human being cells, I believed I was getting the best care possible. One of the things that Mayo said right up front was that many people just have the testing and 2nd opinion done at Mayo and return back to their home for the surgery. But ya know, after visiting Mayo, the testing, meeting with the surgeon- I knew I wanted everything handled there. They are that good.

I totally agree!
    My father says Mayo runs like a Swiss Watch and I couldn't agree more with you both! Plus, I love love love my oncologist.

Glad you had such a good experience there too Patteee! I'm always singing their praises.

peace, emily
  • amyboston
    amyboston Member Posts: 91
    I am new too, welcome!
    Hi,
    I had my colonoscopy on the just two weeks ago and had the continuing DX last week...so I am new too!

I felt so alone after my DX, I found this place and it has really helped, I feel
    warm and supported by all the support I have received in just a few days of being here.

I have been surprised that most times my questions are answered before I ask them, just
    by readying the posts.

Blessings,
    Amy
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Hi
    Hi,

We live in Kailua, Oahu and **** had his colonoscopy at Castle Medical Center. When we found out it was cancer we asked his GI doc if he could go any where in the country for surgery where would he go and who would he see. He did not hesitate. He said he would see Dr. Philip Fletchner at Cedar Sinai in LA. Dr. Fletchner is a colon surgeon. He does colon surgery 5 days a week. You are not going to find a doctor in Hawaii who specializes like that. Our docs are good but we only have 1.3 million people in the whole state. We just don't have the numbers. Dr. Fletchener teaches colon surgery to the residents at UCLA as well. They do not do the surgery, we made sure. My husband had 75% of his colon removed and he is doing well in regard to the surgery issues.
    ****'s oncologist is Dr. Jonathan Cho and we think he is great. Busy.... but very good.
    Best to you.

Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • butterfly23
    butterfly23 Member Posts: 256
    Welcome!
    Welcome to our little family! first, get the death thoughts out of your head, there are sooo many survivors on this site! So many inspiring stories! We are here for your questions, fears and of course some laughs! I also don't have children but I do have a dog! She does not leave my side during chemo! She keeps me sane! Please keep us updated with your treatments!
    Karyn