Haircut to shaving my head after chemo #1

mbalder
mbalder Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
OK GIRLS I AM ON DAY 10 AFTER 1ST CHEMO AND STILL NO SHEDING OF HAIR. I TOLD MY 6 & 9 YEAR OLD DAUGHTERS THEY CAN GIVE ME A HAIRCUT ONCE ITS STARTS SHEDING. THEY ARE SO EXCITED, I WANTED TO INVOLVE THEM SOMEHOW BUT DIDNT WANT TO FREAK THEM OUT JUST GOING BALD, SO THEY KNOW THE DAY AFTER THEY GIVE MOMMY A HAIRCUT I AM GETTING IT SHAVED. I DONT CARE WHAT HAIRCUT THEY GIVE ME I WILL BE HOME ALL DAY ANYWAY. I'LL KEEP YOU POSTED ON HOW THEY DO, HA!

MARCIA

Comments

• mcsessions
    mcsessions Member Posts: 48
    That is such a good idea,
    That is such a good idea, getting them involved will help them look at it as something exciting and fun to do.
    Have fun¡
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Sounds like a Plan......
    And a great one at that! Involving the little ones helps. I forgot one day and went out on my front deck without my wig, hat or scarf on. A mother was walking her little 2 year daughter down the street and the child literally stopped dead in her tracks. Her mother tried pulling her along, but she just stood and stared at me. I walked out to her and of course she hid by her Mom but I talked to the mother (who I know from the neighborhood). She kept apologizing that her daughter had never seen a bald woman before so I talked to her and basically showed her that I was the same lady she sees a lot of times on her walks. I had her rub my head for good luck - she got a kick out of that. Now when she sees me she points to my head and says "hair" because its grown back so much. I think your idea with your girls is a great one and will help them (and you) a lot.
    Hugs - Pat
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    padee6339 said:

Sounds like a Plan......
    And a great one at that! Involving the little ones helps. I forgot one day and went out on my front deck without my wig, hat or scarf on. A mother was walking her little 2 year daughter down the street and the child literally stopped dead in her tracks. Her mother tried pulling her along, but she just stood and stared at me. I walked out to her and of course she hid by her Mom but I talked to the mother (who I know from the neighborhood). She kept apologizing that her daughter had never seen a bald woman before so I talked to her and basically showed her that I was the same lady she sees a lot of times on her walks. I had her rub my head for good luck - she got a kick out of that. Now when she sees me she points to my head and says "hair" because its grown back so much. I think your idea with your girls is a great one and will help them (and you) a lot.
    Hugs - Pat

Good idea
    Sounds better than what I did. I was told my hair would "for sure get thin" with taxol ... but I pictured a few hairs here and a few hairs there. So ... I thought I would be real smart and made an appointment to get my hair cut VERY short before my hair "thinned." So ... on day 13 after my first treatment I told my hairdresser to cut it very, very short. Then on day 15 I ran my fingers through my hair and ended up with a fist full of hair. It was thinning alright ... but in BLOBS and GOBS! So I'd wasted money on a haircut that lasted less than 2 days. Oh well ... I was prepared and had bought a cute little denim bucket hat from tlc ... so I grabbed my hat and went over to a friend's house and she shaved the whole mess off. And ... it did feel pretty good to take control of the situation... instead of having it fall out in bits and pieces for several days. Just wish I'd been smart enough not to go to the hairdresser and waste that money ... :-)

hugs.
    teena
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    That's an AWESOME idea!!! I
    That's an AWESOME idea!!! I had friends bet on when my hair would go. We had a fun time. My hair starting coming out in my hands on day 14. I shaved it on day 15. Way to involve the kids. My whole family knew about the betting pool and it was fun to try and guess which friend would win the money! You have cancer but it doesn't have you! Good luck!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    pitt said:

That's an AWESOME idea!!! I
    That's an AWESOME idea!!! I had friends bet on when my hair would go. We had a fun time. My hair starting coming out in my hands on day 14. I shaved it on day 15. Way to involve the kids. My whole family knew about the betting pool and it was fun to try and guess which friend would win the money! You have cancer but it doesn't have you! Good luck!

Marcia .. I am giving you huggs and KUDOS
    for involving your 2 daughters. What a GREAT idea. Shaving our scalps -- this enpowers us.

VickiSam
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    VickiSam said:

Marcia .. I am giving you huggs and KUDOS
    for involving your 2 daughters. What a GREAT idea. Shaving our scalps -- this enpowers us.

VickiSam

HMMMMM....
    Not too sure if my kids would enjoy that or not... I'll have to bring it up. My eldest children I don't believe would care to take part, but my 11 yr old may :) Thanks for the suggestion. GOSH, I just hope I'm strong enough!
  • spunky56
    spunky56 Member Posts: 12
    SHAVE
    I recommend shaving as soon as you see it falling out. I waited a few days and then one day, I took a shower and washed my mid length hair. It MATTED! I could not get the mat out no matter how much conditioner I used. I had to go to a hairdresser and traumatize her with the big mat of hair on my head. It was aweful for all. Your hair will be at this stage before 3 weeks from 1st chemo treatment. Be ready. To me, losing my hair was the worst part of treatment. The rest is manageable with good honest communication w/dr. and chemo staff. Don't ignore symptoms. Let them know how you feel and they will find ways to minimze effects. Think possitve.
  • spunky56
    spunky56 Member Posts: 12
    Marlene_K said:

HMMMMM....
    Not too sure if my kids would enjoy that or not... I'll have to bring it up. My eldest children I don't believe would care to take part, but my 11 yr old may :) Thanks for the suggestion. GOSH, I just hope I'm strong enough!

Strength
    You will be stong enough. There is indeed power in positive thinking. Take it a day at a time! This too will pass. :) It gets easier.