Exhausted from Radiation?

Options
cindyc59
cindyc59 Member Posts: 44
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone else gotten really tired from radiation? I had chemofirst then double masectomy with reconstruction, and now radiation and still getting herceptin.Ialso go for lymphedema and physical therapy. I also moved got my kids in new schools and am going through a divorce. I am just so tired! The chemo made me tired for a few days and then I would make a comeback. I don't know if its a culmination of everything or if it is from the radiation itself. Has anyone else experienced extreme fatigue from radiation?

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Cindy -- I'm just tired reading your posting
    Chemo .. a double mastectomy, plus reconstruction .. divorce and move .. You are my HERO ..

Herceptin has the same side efforts as any chemo, with the exception of hair loss .. Fatigue, etc... rads - also make you tired ..

I can believe that you are still standing.

Hydrate and try to walk .. mild to moderate exercise may help with the fatigue .. Try to be good to yourself, and rest when possible.

Culmination of all the events in your life ..tired .. I would be ready to shot someone ..

Keep up the faith, and strength.

VickiSam
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Hi Cindy
    YOu have been thru a ton of stuff!!! CHemo, radiation, divorce, kids, double mastectomy...geez, Im tired and I just had the double mastectomy and chemo! YOu should be tired...most of us are tired just raising kids let alone going thru all the other stuff.

YOU need to take care of yourself and to be gentle with yourself. I am tired after surgery and chemo. I am 52 years old, working with a husband who is retired and the kids are out of the house. I do nothing at home, but I do work full time. I do not have the stress of dealing with a broken relationship which will cause you sleepless nights and parenting young children.

Give yourself a break...rest when you can..take a bubble bath, listen to some cds, read a book, have a girls night out with some friends...eat well. Dont worry about your housework. ONly do what you have to do. Love your children, your family, enjoy nice days and connect with something bigger than yourself.

Take care of you

Hugs
    linda T
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    I was extremely tired during
    I was extremely tired during radiation also. I had chemo first, then single masectomy, then radiation. I was also on Herceptin, and i was exhausted the whole time during radiation. i needed to sleep 12 hours each nite. I found that nothing helped, my oncologist did tell me it was because i had been through so much, so i guess it was a culmination of everything. Plus, radiation makes you tired also. Plus, you have a lot of other things going on. take care and rest.
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    I also was very tired after
    I also was very tired after radiation. I had some other health problems going on, but I was so exhausted I couldn't even think! It has been about 3 weeks since radiation ended & I am finally feeling better. Hang in there--you have a lot on your plate--but it sounds like the worst is over.

Hugs & prayers...
  • cindyc59
    cindyc59 Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Tux said:

I also was very tired after
    I also was very tired after radiation. I had some other health problems going on, but I was so exhausted I couldn't even think! It has been about 3 weeks since radiation ended & I am finally feeling better. Hang in there--you have a lot on your plate--but it sounds like the worst is over.

Hugs & prayers...

Thanks!
    I was starting to feel like a failure because people were saying its easy and they worked full time. I was thinking that maybe I was being lazy or just being a baby but I really didn't feel this exhausted during the chemo like I do now. I moved 1 week after last chemo treatment and 2 wks b4 my double masectomy. I have been tired ever since the surgery and that was 2 months ago. Anyway thanks for making me feel better about being tired!
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    cindyc59 said:

Thanks!
    I was starting to feel like a failure because people were saying its easy and they worked full time. I was thinking that maybe I was being lazy or just being a baby but I really didn't feel this exhausted during the chemo like I do now. I moved 1 week after last chemo treatment and 2 wks b4 my double masectomy. I have been tired ever since the surgery and that was 2 months ago. Anyway thanks for making me feel better about being tired!

Yeah Cindy,
    you have been through a lot! My hat is definately off to you!I struggled through the effects of chemo,but my life was very simple then and mostly what I concentrated on was getting better. Everything else pretty much took a backseat because I had little to no energy.
    You are definately not a failure!
  • terpsi
    terpsi Member Posts: 33
    Options
    exhausted from radiation
    I'll just add to the other comments that you are definitely carrying a hero's worth of stress, and that alone will cause a tremendous amount of fatigue in itself.

Radiation, however, can be utterly the most fatiguing of treatments for cancer. I had radiation in 2004 when I first was diagnosed and again this year after my breast cancer returned. Both times I was exhausted. This time I could barely stay awake through the day and needed to have naps to get through my work day. I worked, but I would take breaks and end up sleeping soundly for an hour each time. I'd set my iPhone alarm to wake me, or I probably would have kept sleeping. After I'd get home, I would lie and and fall asleep instantly. People often underestimate the effects of radiation, and one effect is extreme fatigue.

If you can give yourself some time to nap 20 minutes at a time, it can help. Then, allow yourself the good night of sleep that your body requires during this time. It will take some time after you finish radiation for the fatigue to wear off.

With all of the other things that are happening in your life, you have enough on your plate to exhaust anyone. I've always been a very energetic person, and I couldn't believe the fatigue from the radiation. It took my by surprise. Hang in there and be kind to yourself. I learned the benefits of sleep during this time, and it really helped :).

Hugs,
    Donna
  • spunky56
    spunky56 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    We could almost be twins
    Yes, radiation makes you tired. I think I was more tired with radiation than chemo. Maybe I just expected it more with chemo and thought radiation would be a walk in the park. I too am going thru a divorce. I too have relocated. Had to go on unemployment when I started chemo as I lived in a rural area. Then a month or so after chemo, I got a PT job and 9 months later they "restructured" me out of a job. Just ended Herceptin the end of June. July 4th was My Independence Day.*Thank you all for celebrating with me. :) Now trying to gain strength. Keep on Keepin On. One thing I stuck my head in the sand about was the effects of radiation to my muscles. It scars them. So, do regular stretching exercises for all muscles in the "quarter" of the body you are having radiation on. This will help to limit the scar tissue you will later have to stretch back out. And be very liberal with the moisturizer! I was told that once a limb begins to swell, get the fluid out ASAP. Once the process begins it is very hard to get it under control- some never succeed! So be sure to EVERYTHING you can to get the fluid out of there. *a good massage therapist can also help get fluid to drain. I would ask for a referral and include that in your treatment plan! Good Luck and remember the power of positive thinking is with you.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

Yeah Cindy,
    you have been through a lot! My hat is definately off to you!I struggled through the effects of chemo,but my life was very simple then and mostly what I concentrated on was getting better. Everything else pretty much took a backseat because I had little to no energy.
    You are definately not a failure!

6 moths later I am still tired
    Cindy,
    You are doing as" adequately well" That a quote from my Chart notes, written by resident.
    You have been thought so many procedures and treatments. Radiation seems to be easy, but it cumulative, Plus if you have a sensitive skin, it could complicate your situation. is normal and should take care of yourself. I I already said YOU ARE A HERO you need to be proud of yourself. Recovery takes time.

I had extreme fatigue after I completed radiation too. Prior radiation I had radical mastectomy, reconstruction, 6 cycles of Chemo and 36 radiation treatments and currently on Tamoxifen. I did not have divorce, but I was laid off on my last day of Radiation.It was very stressful, but could not be compared with your situation. It has been 6 months since I finished radiation and I am not 100% back to normal yet. Even before my diagnosis (Stage III) I had more energy, than today.12 months of nonstop treatment made my body weak. Probably in my case Tamoxifen is a additional factor as well. I am still taking a nap every day around 3 pm.

There are some treatment to help with fatigue. I used acupuncture, however if you have lymphedema ( I do), that quadrant is prohibited from using needles. It did help. Trigger point injections could help too.
    If you interested in details of fatigue treatment you can write me a privet message.
    Hugs