did my first walk for breast cancer today...

Options
e_hope
e_hope Member Posts: 370
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
What an awesome and powerful experience today was... My local Woman's 5K for breast cancer... pouring down rain and only 40 degrees and over 3000 woman showed up.. , 450 survivors walk in parade. Such a moving experience.. and they raised over $200.000 for local programs..

Comments

• tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    I am glad
    I am glad you were able to experience this.
    What an amount for local programs.

Hugs to you,
    Margo
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

I am glad
    I am glad you were able to experience this.
    What an amount for local programs.

Hugs to you,
    Margo

That is awesome .. I am still crying .. cold
    weather and all.. 3K people showed up!! WOW, is all I can say.

VickiSam
  • kathyrcady
    kathyrcady Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi ehope' I was wondering if you could tell me how the walk/run races make the money for the local programs. I want to get involved in a 5k and wondered they are able to collect money. Do you get people to sponcer you or how is it done. Thsmk you,and I hope you are having a nice weekend
  • kathyrcady
    kathyrcady Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi ehope' I was wondering if you could tell me how the walk/run races make the money for the local programs. I want to get involved in a 5k and wondered they are able to collect money. Do you get people to sponcer you or how is it done. Thsmk you,and I hope you are having a nice weekend
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    Options

Kathy..
    all the money they

Kathy..

all the money they raised at the event stays in "the valley" our local area... I didn't have to do any fund raising at all.. I paid 36 dollars to participate.. and they had 5500 woman registered... (its an only woman event)... and the 5k committee gets donations from local companies... Penn National bank donated 15K alone..

not sure of the inner workings.. i just thought it was impressive that they raised that much in a slumping ecconomy
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Options
    e hope
    I walked last sunday where i live and you are so right about it being so moving and emotional. We raised over 600.000 for ours. I have a friend i have known since elementary school. He was born with an underdeveloped leg and to this day walks with a full metal brace. He walked in Dayton the other day and even though it was agonizing for him, he believed in the cause so much for me and someone else he knows who is going through bc he finished that walk. I was so amazed at his power and will and determination to raise the money he did and to actually finish. He was so proud and cried for all the survivors. He will be blessed for what he did and to do it in pain the whole time. But he didnt care, determination got him through. He is truely an angel.

take care
    laura