First Onocological Appointment - what questions should we ask?

2»

Comments

• tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Be prepared
    Hey, Laurie.

The only thing I want to add is to be prepared for the emotions that first oncology visit will evoke. I was diagnosed Stage 1 and met my oncologist soon after I was recovering from my resection. Because I already knew there was no lymph node involvement, and that I was most likely not going to be having chemo (I didn't), I blithely assumed the oncologist would see me once, and thus would end my cancer story.

When I got there and found out the schedule of regular bloodwork and office visits and such, it hit me that I REALLY was a cancer patient, and that it was going to be more than a tiny blip. I managed conversation with the doctor and the nurses, thought I was okay, walked in my house, sat down and cried like a baby. That's the first moment the enormity of what had happened hit me.

Good luck with the appointment. Let us know what is recommended, and we'll be here to help y'all through it.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Hi Laurie
    I see you are getting a lot of good advice so won't add to that other than to say "What you are doing is exactly what you need to be doing!"

Be proactive, learn about the disease; research options! All of this will help you and hubby get the best possible outcome.

Good luck on Monday... Rob; in Vancouver

Online dictionary of Cancer terms... http://www.cancer.gov/dictionary/
  • jakesman
    jakesman Member Posts: 33
    Shayenne said:

Hello!!
    Hey Laurie and Denny! Welcome to our wonderful family! We try to be as helpful as we can here, we can laugh, argue, (not too much!), cry and vent, hopefully have more laughs though!

I totally encourage you to go away this weekend, and have a blast, don't let cancer make you stop doing the things you love, cancer doesn't have that power, make sure you have as much fun as possible! I know it's hard with it on your minds right now, but it will get better, and you both will start wanting to just get the treatments and kill that piece of crap cancer! I hope you both have fun.

I always forget to ask the onc questions, but I'd definitely ask what the others have said, and hopefully he will get a port to administer the chemo through, it's heaven sent, instead of getting it through your veins, it goes through this drum-like thing that is implanted usually on your left or right collarbone.

Make sure you ask about pain meds, and side effects, anti-nausea meds, and what to expect after the disconnect of the pump should he get one. It's kind of hard to think of what to say when we don't know exactly what he's getting, but you know we're here for you when you come back from you spectacular weekend, to give us more info when you find out.

His music sounds lovely, and I can't wait to listen to it, I love all kinds of music (except country, sorry folks!) but, I'm also a metalhead. I love progressive rock where they even put orchestral and rock music together, like the band Kamelot, his voice is so lovely! I look forward to hearing Denny's music as well!

Glad you came by to the house here, and hope you keep on coming, have fun, and don't let the cancer overcome you! it doesn't have that power...prayers and positive thoughts coming your way!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

Hey Donna, I hope you see
    Hey Donna, I hope you see this post (not sure how to PM on this forum), but I noticed you said you like progressive metal. I want to encourage you to check out a record label called Ulterium Records (www.ulterium-records.com/ or www.myspace.com/ulteriumrecords) and the bands that are on that label (for e.g. Theocracy, Incrave, etc.). I believe they're mostly progressive metal (I know they're dominantly melodic-based and not scream-based). Last time I checked, all of them have Christianity-centered lyrics, much of which can be really uplifting. I'm not really into this kind of metal (though I'm into practically every other kind of metal, as well as music in general), but I hope this can be a blessing to you! :)