Proton Therapy for Brain Tumors in Children

Lyman Duggan
Lyman Duggan Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Brain Cancer #1
I am undergoing Proton Therapy at Shands Jacksonville University of Florida for Prostate Cancer and see a lot of kids going for Proton to the brain. Its 3D specific and breaks up the Cancer DNA molecules to the point where the cancer cells cannot re produce. The cancer dies off in a matter of months. There are 5 Proton centers in the USA. Very expensive 150 million dollar machines that seem to be only at universities... maybe a good thing. First one in the US at Loma Linda in California. So many success stories.. 5 year cure rate for Prostate cancer in the high 90's percent~! Do your homework Google Proton Therapy. I hope this helps some unlucky kids. I am a Shriner and work hard to keep out 22 Children s hospitals going~! We need all the help we can get. Never a charge for helping a child, burns and limb problems. Shriner's hospitals in my will for sure~!!

Comments

• sue Siwek
    sue Siwek Member Posts: 279
    how wonderful for you. let
    how wonderful for you. let me mention mclaren hospital in flint, michigan is building a proton center as well for all you mid-westerners out there who may be seeking treatment.
  • Lyman Duggan
    Lyman Duggan Member Posts: 3
    sue Siwek said:

how wonderful for you. let
    how wonderful for you. let me mention mclaren hospital in flint, michigan is building a proton center as well for all you mid-westerners out there who may be seeking treatment.

FLINT, Mich NEW PROTON CENTER~!!
    FLINT, Mich., Sept. 22 /PRNewswire/ -- Cancer patients residing in and near Michigan are one step closer to receiving one of the most advanced forms of treatment available with a new partnership being formed between McLaren Health Care and ProTom International, a Texas-based health care technology company.

ProTom's proton therapy system, the Radiance 330, combines the most advanced treatment capabilities in a lower-cost, small footprint solution and represents the next-generation of proton therapy. The novel compact accelerator design of the Radiance 330 supports active scanning beam delivery techniques with dynamic energy and intensity modulation for true 3-dimensional IMPT, providing superior treatment precision with significantly reduced capital and operating costs. This technology allows for proton beam centers to be built for about one-third the cost (currently upwards of $150 million) and on a much smaller footprint of conventionally built centers. Conventional proton beam centers span the size of a football field.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/mclaren-health-care-forming-partnership,970368.shtml