is there hope?

ruthielaine
ruthielaine Member Posts: 59
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Just had double mast and had micro invasive and dcis and 3 mm tumor in left breast (yes thats mm not cm?) Nothing in right breast. Even though cancer is micro Doc says it still diagnosed as Stage 3-B - is there still hope for survival and is there anybody else out there in this stage? Please help I'm scared to death.

Comments

• outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    ruthie
    I was stage 2A and not the same kind of cancer or experience as you-but I do KNOW that there is still hope for you! Know in your mind(if you are comfortable with your oncs)that they are going to do everything they possibly can to help you!There are others out there with your case and perhaps even others on this board. Do not give up and don't stop fighting!
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Ruthie,
    Please forgive me for not remembering, but do you have inflammatory breast cancer? I ask because that is automatically staged at 3b from the get-go and may or may not present with a tumor at all. As far as hope, YES there is hope. Of course there is. There are many women with a stage 3 diagnosis who are doing well and thriving years after diagnosis. Sometimes on my other site, young survival, someone will post a roll call for stage 3 women. You would be heartened by how many reply, years after diagnosis, many who were originally stage 3a, b, and c. And most of them are doing really well today. I personally know two stage 3C women (both estrogen negative) who are around and doing great 5 years down the line. I know this is scary for you, but you are not alone and there is hope. Lots of it. Hang in there and keep writing about your feelings.

Mimi
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    There's always hope...
    Hi Ruthie,

There is definately hope. Breast cancer treatments are very targeted today so we are living longer and better. We all hope for a cure but whatever stage we are when diagnosed, there is hope. I go to a support group run by Dr. Bernie Seigel (author of "Love, Medicine, and Miracles"). He tells stories of survivors of all types of cancer when doctors said there was no hope. One had stage 3 breast cancer at age 36 and is still alive today at 85. Surprisingly she refused chemo and radiation. He didn't recommend that and was very concerned but she survived anyway. I personally welcome any treatment that will increase my odds but if she can survive, so can we! Hang in there.

Roseann
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    roseann4 said:

There's always hope...
    Hi Ruthie,

There is definately hope. Breast cancer treatments are very targeted today so we are living longer and better. We all hope for a cure but whatever stage we are when diagnosed, there is hope. I go to a support group run by Dr. Bernie Seigel (author of "Love, Medicine, and Miracles"). He tells stories of survivors of all types of cancer when doctors said there was no hope. One had stage 3 breast cancer at age 36 and is still alive today at 85. Surprisingly she refused chemo and radiation. He didn't recommend that and was very concerned but she survived anyway. I personally welcome any treatment that will increase my odds but if she can survive, so can we! Hang in there.

Roseann

There is always hope! I
    There is always hope! I just look at my family and friends and know that I have to live and to never give up!

Hugs
  • ruthielaine
    ruthielaine Member Posts: 59
    mimivac said:

Ruthie,
    Please forgive me for not remembering, but do you have inflammatory breast cancer? I ask because that is automatically staged at 3b from the get-go and may or may not present with a tumor at all. As far as hope, YES there is hope. Of course there is. There are many women with a stage 3 diagnosis who are doing well and thriving years after diagnosis. Sometimes on my other site, young survival, someone will post a roll call for stage 3 women. You would be heartened by how many reply, years after diagnosis, many who were originally stage 3a, b, and c. And most of them are doing really well today. I personally know two stage 3C women (both estrogen negative) who are around and doing great 5 years down the line. I know this is scary for you, but you are not alone and there is hope. Lots of it. Hang in there and keep writing about your feelings.

Mimi

thank you Mimi that made me
    thank you Mimi that made me feel better - actually its stage 3A - I just looked at my report - so confusing and it is not inflammatory. I think the reason its stage 3A is because there were 4 of 14 nodes tested positive
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Ruthie, of course there is
    Ruthie, of course there is HOPE. I was diagnosed with Inflammatory Breast Cancer stage 4 in July, 2008. I am in remission now, and i am feeling well. I was terrified at first, absolutely shell shocked! I will keep you in my prayers.
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    meena1 said:

Ruthie, of course there is
    Ruthie, of course there is HOPE. I was diagnosed with Inflammatory Breast Cancer stage 4 in July, 2008. I am in remission now, and i am feeling well. I was terrified at first, absolutely shell shocked! I will keep you in my prayers.

meena, did you see that
    meena, did you see that program on Discovery Health last night? It was about a 27 yr old woman with IBC. It was very informative. She is doing well today.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    lanie940 said:

meena, did you see that
    meena, did you see that program on Discovery Health last night? It was about a 27 yr old woman with IBC. It was very informative. She is doing well today.

No, Lanie, I did not, but I
    No, Lanie, I did not, but I will look for it again. The usually run those again. Thank You
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    meena1 said:

No, Lanie, I did not, but I
    No, Lanie, I did not, but I will look for it again. The usually run those again. Thank You

Meena
    I only caught the end of it but I believe she was the youngest survivor of that particular BC.
    What I did hear was encouraging. Hope you can see it.
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • CHERYL 4
    CHERYL 4 Member Posts: 75 Member
    hope
    Ruth as long as u have a breath of life left u have hope ur a survior from day 1 just keep the faith im a 5yr 4mths 15 days survior i was stage 11 had lumpectomy 2 nodes pos
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    CHERYL 4 said:

hope
    Ruth as long as u have a breath of life left u have hope ur a survior from day 1 just keep the faith im a 5yr 4mths 15 days survior i was stage 11 had lumpectomy 2 nodes pos

Never give up
    You should believe in yourself. The survivor rate is high and the current treatment is very effective.
    I was diagnosed with Stage IIIC in June of 2008. Underwent surgery, reconstruction, Chemo, radiation and now on Tamoxifen. My surgeon told me that my cancer was completely removed and I never questioned this statement. Being survivor myself I could advice - fight back, never give up, and keep the faith.
    Cheers
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member

thank you Mimi that made me
    thank you Mimi that made me feel better - actually its stage 3A - I just looked at my report - so confusing and it is not inflammatory. I think the reason its stage 3A is because there were 4 of 14 nodes tested positive

Glad you're feeling better
    When I was first diagnosed, before we knew what stage I was, my surgeon told me that I was probably either stage 2 or 3. After this she stressed that I was NOT going to die. My oncologist told me the same thing. They said this knowing that I could be stage 3. Hope you're OK today. Update when you can.

Mimi