looking for someone who can tell me about pain and mastectomy

blooey
blooey Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Dcis surgery number 2! Looking for someone who can tell me about the pain and side effects of having a double d removed with an mastectomy.

Comments

• jikaras
    jikaras Member Posts: 58
    DCIS
    I had DCIS and a double mastectomy in January. I had no pain from the surgery itself, because so much is cut away and all the nerves are lost..... I had discomfort from the drain tubes, but that was only temporary.
    Are you having reconstruction? If so, what type?

Jill
  • Jeanie4164
    Jeanie4164 Member Posts: 13
    mastectomy / pain
    I need to know what type of surgery u will have to be able to help you and if you are having reconstruction done.

Hugs Jeanie
  • blooey
    blooey Member Posts: 3
    jikaras said:

DCIS
    I had DCIS and a double mastectomy in January. I had no pain from the surgery itself, because so much is cut away and all the nerves are lost..... I had discomfort from the drain tubes, but that was only temporary.
    Are you having reconstruction? If so, what type?

Jill

pain
    Thanks for your info. I am on my second surgery this coming tues. within 3 weeks, started off with dcis stage o level low. Then path came back level high, stage 0. thought they could get all of it in shot, however came back that there were some ducts infected too close to the margin on one side. If it comes back there is need for a third surgery I will have a mastectomy. You are very right! I do believe the drain tubes are the most uncomfortable part. Reconstruction would be a must for me, however no nothing about it at this time. Any input would be wonderful. How are you doing know with everything? Did you have a choice on your treatment? or was the best choice for you? If you don't mind me asking. Thanks
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    I had a double mastectomy
    I had a double mastectomy with reconstruction with expanders... What are you having reconstruction? if so what type...

For me surgery wasn't too bad.. the drains are the worst.. I had mine in for 14 days.. They are a pain in the ****, always in the way and make it difficult to sleep..

when they start filling the expanders you have tightening and a lot of pulling as things stretch out, but its just uncomfortable not really painful. and that lasted for quite a few weeks even after I was done filling them.

Expanders them self are uncomfortable... they are hard as rocks and you can't sleep on your stomach anymore

Let us know what your planning and everyone can better help you with your question...

good luck
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • mcsessions
    mcsessions Member Posts: 48
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Not that bad
    My mom had a radical mastectomy and had NO PAIN at all, she was moving and lifting her arm hours after surgery, she got 21 nodes removed and spent 2 nights at the hospital.

She also complained about the drains being a little uncomfortable but manageable.

I bought her a beautiful camisole to wear post surgery that came with two pockets to hold the drains, these pockets have some velcro on them so they can be adhered to the interior side of the blouse that way you can also hide them.

You can find it in a mastectomy boutique or you can make them yourself it's the simplest thing but very useful.
    She later found that she could adhere the pockets to all of clothes like sweats and underwear.
    Hope this helps.
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Marlene,Did you have just
    Marlene,

Did you have just the sentinel node removed, or did they remove more lymph nodes? That's awesome you'll be back to playing so soon after your surgery! Are things tight? Do you have full mobility of your arms? How quickly does full range of motion return after your surgery?

I too have DCIS and am considering prophylatic bi-lateral mast.
  • cindyc59
    cindyc59 Member Posts: 44

Marlene,Did you have just
    Marlene,

Did you have just the sentinel node removed, or did they remove more lymph nodes? That's awesome you'll be back to playing so soon after your surgery! Are things tight? Do you have full mobility of your arms? How quickly does full range of motion return after your surgery?

I too have DCIS and am considering prophylatic bi-lateral mast.

what is DCIS? I just had
    what is DCIS? I just had adouble masectomy on July 31st. It was painful, but the drugs helped, I had partial reconstruction with trans flap It was a 9 hour surgery. Ididstart driving after a week (stopped the painmeds), I still dont have full range of motion in my left arm but therapy is helping,
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    cindyc59 said:

what is DCIS? I just had
    what is DCIS? I just had adouble masectomy on July 31st. It was painful, but the drugs helped, I had partial reconstruction with trans flap It was a 9 hour surgery. Ididstart driving after a week (stopped the painmeds), I still dont have full range of motion in my left arm but therapy is helping,

DCIS
    Cindy,

D.C.I.S. is Ductal Carcinoma In Situ. My onocologist told me that technically it's pre-cancer and it's only in the ducts. For some women it involves the whole breast, in others, it is localized. It can be a pre-cursor for more invasive forms of cancer.
  • cindyc59
    cindyc59 Member Posts: 44

DCIS
    Cindy,

D.C.I.S. is Ductal Carcinoma In Situ. My onocologist told me that technically it's pre-cancer and it's only in the ducts. For some women it involves the whole breast, in others, it is localized. It can be a pre-cursor for more invasive forms of cancer.

thanks for the info!

thanks for the info!