SO am i ok now?

lolad
lolad Member Posts: 670
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
hey everybody. Got a question. I finished my last chemo last week. Go back to see my onc in four weeks to start on tamoxifen. I have never had a pet scan and wonder if i should. How do i know that im cancer free? Is it just by the blood work they do or what? Any answers here?

thanks
laura

Comments

• Grains
    Grains Member Posts: 27
    Hi,
    As far as I know, they

Hi,
    As far as I know, they will do blood work and also a physical exam. You also should keep up with your own body and check yourself for lumps, etc. I remember how fearful I was right after chemo. During Chemo, I knew I was doing something to fight the cancer. When it was over, I often thought I was just waiting for it to come back and every time I heard of someone else getting cancer, I was scared to death. That is very normal, I think. You should go onto the cancer.org and look up info about this. It helped me a lot. Just know that you have done everything in your power to fight this. Your onc will be vigilant about checking you and making sure you are ok. If you notice any changes in your body or have any questions, write them down and ask your onc about it. Just take one day at a time and enjoy it as much as possible. Try not to think of the "what if's" and concentrate on NOW. Hope this helps
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    My expierience
    Hi Laura, your doctor will most likely see you every three months and run blood work along with a physical exam and of course talk to you to see if you have any concerns or changes in your physical being. If he suspects a problem or if you have concerns that the doctor thinks are signs of a recurrence then he will most likely do a PET scan or CAT scan or bone scan. I would suggest that when you see your doctor again that you ask him this very question. Ask him are you considered to be in remission and are what can you expect to be done in the future to ensure that you remain in remission or that if there is a recurrence that it is found quickly. I have found it to be a good practice to take a notebook with me to my appointments with all my concerns written down so that I don't forget my questions. I hope this has been helpful.

Hugs,

RE
  • brenda247
    brenda247 Member Posts: 124
    I just got done 2
    Hi
    I felt so much of the same way as you and I still do.. I took my last treatment of chemo on Oct 1 2009.. Before I got through my last treatment I asked the my onocology was there a pill or something I could take after my treatments were over.. He said yes there is but you cant take them cause I had 2 much estrigen in my body.. I said ok what can I do?? Will I be looking over my shoulder from here on out waiting for it to come back.. Cancer runs in my family so I wasnt gonna end it this way..
    I was taking taxotere and herceptin the onocology said when my chemo was over you are gonna still take herceptin that will be fighting for the mext year so dont worry its gonna be ok..
    So my advice to you is talk to your dr, get information on if you need to take something, what is best for you and tell him or her how you feel..
    I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST!!!

p.s. my mom had the same cancer as me and after her surgery she never had to take anything..
    NOT EVEN TREATMENTS & shes been cancer free for 3 years..

HUGS!!!
    Brenda
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    They would only do a pet
    They would only do a pet scan if you had swollen lymph nodes, which means the cancer may have spread through your blood system, and you had a cat and bone scan that shows anything abnormal. Pet scans are very expensive and the insurance company must give authorization it. But I do believe they can tell by the blood work. Congratulations on finishing your chemo, next step hair!
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    My oncologist ordered a pet
    My oncologist ordered a pet scan before I started chemo.. and is planning on doing another one in dec. after I finish treatment.

I would ask your oncologist what he thinks about doing one...
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    e_hope said:

My oncologist ordered a pet
    My oncologist ordered a pet scan before I started chemo.. and is planning on doing another one in dec. after I finish treatment.

I would ask your oncologist what he thinks about doing one...

Laura
    Ask your oncologist Laura. I think they only do a PET scan, CAT scan or a bone scan IF they suspect something. But, if you are worried, be sure and tell your oncologist that.

So far, my oncologist has only ordered blood work, a diagnostic mammo and an ultrasound.

I love your picture of you and your daughter!

Kylez ♥
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    RE said:

My expierience
    Hi Laura, your doctor will most likely see you every three months and run blood work along with a physical exam and of course talk to you to see if you have any concerns or changes in your physical being. If he suspects a problem or if you have concerns that the doctor thinks are signs of a recurrence then he will most likely do a PET scan or CAT scan or bone scan. I would suggest that when you see your doctor again that you ask him this very question. Ask him are you considered to be in remission and are what can you expect to be done in the future to ensure that you remain in remission or that if there is a recurrence that it is found quickly. I have found it to be a good practice to take a notebook with me to my appointments with all my concerns written down so that I don't forget my questions. I hope this has been helpful.

Hugs,

RE

What I know
    I think we mainly have mammos, ultrasounds, MRI's and blood work done. I think they only order the scans when there is a concern.

♥ Noel
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    PET Scan
    I had a PET Scan done prior to surgery only because it was arm pain that brought me to the Doc in the first place, when my cancer was ultimately found. So there was a reason in place to have one. Now that treatments are over, I see Medical Oncologist every 3 months where I get an exam, blood work, and any other test she feels is neccessary depending on her findings or our conversation. Surgical and Radiation Oncologist every 6 months where Mammos and breast MRI's will be ordered when neccessary. I will be back on the Tamoxifen in another week now that ovary surgery is over. Your Oncologist will keep a good eye on you along with your PCP. Do what I do....I mention every little twinge happening in my body and leave it up to them to decide if it is significant or not! Pammy
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Akiss4me said:

PET Scan
    I had a PET Scan done prior to surgery only because it was arm pain that brought me to the Doc in the first place, when my cancer was ultimately found. So there was a reason in place to have one. Now that treatments are over, I see Medical Oncologist every 3 months where I get an exam, blood work, and any other test she feels is neccessary depending on her findings or our conversation. Surgical and Radiation Oncologist every 6 months where Mammos and breast MRI's will be ordered when neccessary. I will be back on the Tamoxifen in another week now that ovary surgery is over. Your Oncologist will keep a good eye on you along with your PCP. Do what I do....I mention every little twinge happening in my body and leave it up to them to decide if it is significant or not! Pammy

I had a MRI prior to surgery
    I had a MRI prior to surgery to make sure that there was no more bc showing up in either breast. I had a CAT scan prior to rads to help them to map out my rads plan. I will have an ultrasound, mammo and blood tests in my future. I just finished rads this week! YEA! lol

Ask your onco about any further tests and why he is ordering them. Always speak up.

Scans, bone, PET or CAT, after treatment, is usually only if there is something wrong.

Sue :)
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Ritzy said:

I had a MRI prior to surgery
    I had a MRI prior to surgery to make sure that there was no more bc showing up in either breast. I had a CAT scan prior to rads to help them to map out my rads plan. I will have an ultrasound, mammo and blood tests in my future. I just finished rads this week! YEA! lol

Ask your onco about any further tests and why he is ordering them. Always speak up.

Scans, bone, PET or CAT, after treatment, is usually only if there is something wrong.

Sue :)

Your oncologist will order
    Your oncologist will order whatever tests that you need Laura. But, be sure and go over your questions with him. I had a MRI before surgery to make sure there was no other cancer in my breasts, so that the lumpectomy would be enough, followed by radiation. I also had a CAT scan for radiation. I will get mammograms and ultrasounds for years, probably the rest of my life. I think, as everyone else said, that they only order scans, bone etc., when there is a question or concern of cancer returning.

HUGS
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Hi Laura
    I think they only do a PET scan if there is a problem. I think normally they do a physical exam, mammo's, ultrasound, blood tests and maybe a MRI. That would catch any new cancer that might pop up. Your oncologist will go over this with you. Be sure and take these questions with you and ask him. You look more like your daughter's sister than her Mom. :)

Leeza