Anyone awake? I need advice on taxol vs taxetere for 11 am today

Options
rosebud5
rosebud5 Member Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have stage 2 breast cancer. 2.4 cm, lymph nodes clean. I'm just about to finish A/C (adriamycin and cytoxan). Was going to follow it with taxol. My doctor is asking if I want to get it every week for 12 weeks or every 2-3 weeks for another period of time. He also said taxetere was as option. Anyone had any of these chemos?

Thanks! Rosebud

Comments

• pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    Options
    I'm currently on Taxotere
    I'm currently on Taxotere and Cytoxan. Here's what I got from another website for you about taxol vs taxotere...

Taxol (paclitaxel) and Taxotere (docetaxel) are both from the same family of medications - the taxanes. Both of these show a high level of activity when used as single agents in metastatic breast cancer.
    In reviews of reported studies, when compared with standard therapies Taxotere looks to be the most active single agent in treatment of metastatic breast cancer.

There are some differences in the treatment schedules of the 2 medications, and there are some differences in the side effects of these 2 medications. I have listed the side effects of both medications.

Taxotere: decrease of white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets, flu-like symptoms, fluid retention, numbness and/or tingling to fingers and toes, muscle aches or bone pain for a few days after each treatment, mouth sores, hair loss, decreased appetite.
    Uncommon Side Effects: allergic-type reaction, blood pressure and heart rate changes, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, skin rash usually occurs on hands and feet, nail changes, menstrual cycle may become irregular or stop permanently, menopausal effects including hot flashes and vaginal dryness. Decreased desire for sex during treatment.

Taxol: decrease of white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets, allergic-like reaction, blood pressure or heart rate changes during the infusion of the medication, mouth ulcers, numbness and/or tingling to fingers and toes, muscle aches or bone pain for a few days after each treatment, mouth sores, hair loss, diarrhea.
    Uncommon Side Effects: nausea and vomiting, nail changes, menstrual cycle may become irregular or stop permanently, menopausal effects including hot flashes and vaginal dryness. Decreased desire for sex during treatment.

I hope that helps.
  • rosebud5
    Options
    pitt said:

I'm currently on Taxotere and Cytoxan. Here's what I got from another website for you about taxol vs taxotere...

Taxol (paclitaxel) and Taxotere (docetaxel) are both from the same family of medications - the taxanes. Both of these show a high level of activity when used as single agents in metastatic breast cancer.
    In reviews of reported studies, when compared with standard therapies Taxotere looks to be the most active single agent in treatment of metastatic breast cancer.

There are some differences in the treatment schedules of the 2 medications, and there are some differences in the side effects of these 2 medications. I have listed the side effects of both medications.

Taxotere: decrease of white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets, flu-like symptoms, fluid retention, numbness and/or tingling to fingers and toes, muscle aches or bone pain for a few days after each treatment, mouth sores, hair loss, decreased appetite.
    Uncommon Side Effects: allergic-type reaction, blood pressure and heart rate changes, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, skin rash usually occurs on hands and feet, nail changes, menstrual cycle may become irregular or stop permanently, menopausal effects including hot flashes and vaginal dryness. Decreased desire for sex during treatment.

Taxol: decrease of white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets, allergic-like reaction, blood pressure or heart rate changes during the infusion of the medication, mouth ulcers, numbness and/or tingling to fingers and toes, muscle aches or bone pain for a few days after each treatment, mouth sores, hair loss, diarrhea.
    Uncommon Side Effects: nausea and vomiting, nail changes, menstrual cycle may become irregular or stop permanently, menopausal effects including hot flashes and vaginal dryness. Decreased desire for sex during treatment.

I hope that helps.

Thanks so much!
    Thanks for getting this info for me! Do you remember the name of the website? What does it mean by taxotere is the most active single agent?

What is your diagnois? Mine is invasive ductal carcanoma. After lumpectomy, doctor recommended taxotere and cytoxan. Another recommended Adriamycin and cytoxan followed by taxol. My mom is an 8 year survivor. When my mom and I spoke to the doctor, we thought that she had taxol and adriamycin. So my mom and I agreed to go with taxol after the A/C. Now I find that taxotere is also and option.

Rosebud

ps. I apologize for my spelling.
  • brenda247
    brenda247 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    Hey Rosebud I just got
    Hey Rosebud I just got finished with Taxofere.. Hope this helps you it did me.. I had stage 2 invasive & aggressive 2 cm.. I had a masectomy on April 20 2009 and no trace in limpnodes.. I was told from my dr this was the best for me.. I know that different drs use different meds but I am still clean. It does have alot of side effects but I know I made the right choice..
    GOOD LUCK AND BEST WISHES TO YOU!!!!!! Brenda
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    Options
    brenda247 said:

Hey Rosebud I just got
    Hey Rosebud I just got finished with Taxofere.. Hope this helps you it did me.. I had stage 2 invasive & aggressive 2 cm.. I had a masectomy on April 20 2009 and no trace in limpnodes.. I was told from my dr this was the best for me.. I know that different drs use different meds but I am still clean. It does have alot of side effects but I know I made the right choice..

Try chemocare.com lots of
    Try chemocare.com lots of info on all types of chemotherapy.
    Hope this help.
    Deb
  • mbalder
    mbalder Member Posts: 31
    Options
    pitt said:

I hope that helps.

IS THE TAXETERE THROUGH AN
    IS THE TAXETERE THROUGH AN IV ALSO?
  • rosebud5
    Options
    mbalder said:

IS THE TAXETERE THROUGH AN
    IS THE TAXETERE THROUGH AN IV ALSO?

taxetere
    yes it's through an IV.
  • rosebud5
    Options
    brenda247 said:

Hey Rosebud I just got

taxol vs taxetere
    Brenda, thanks! My doctor suggested the taxol. So I'm going with it. I start in 2 weeks. I've going to get it weekly. I've seen a study that was done saying that weekly was better than every 3 weeks. Doctor also said every 2 weeks was good too. I went with weekly hopeing less side effects!

Thanks again!
  • rosebud5
    Options
    Deb1969 said:

Try chemocare.com lots of
    Try chemocare.com lots of info on all types of chemotherapy.
    Hope this help.
    Deb

chemocare.com
    Thanks Deb I'll look at it.
  • mcsessions
    mcsessions Member Posts: 48
    Options
    rosebud5 said:

taxol vs taxetere
    Brenda, thanks! My doctor suggested the taxol. So I'm going with it. I start in 2 weeks. I've going to get it weekly. I've seen a study that was done saying that weekly was better than every 3 weeks. Doctor also said every 2 weeks was good too. I went with weekly hopeing less side effects!

Thanks again!

rosebud5
    Where did you find that study? My Mom has been offered the same option but hasn´t made a decision yet.
    Thanks a lot!