After the long weekend, it's..... GOAL TUESDAY!!!

mimivac
mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well, I've had my fun this weekend and it's time to start the week off right. Got back on Monday and caught up with everyone's weekend plans. They all sounded great. Except for Marcia and her flu and Jackie with her back injury. Hope you're both doing much better now.

So, this week, I need to make a more specific life plan. My general goals are all fine and good, but without the specific steps, I end up fudging them too much. So, I've decided to make daily goals, with steps I can accomplish in one day. Today I will:

-- Write 3 pages of talking points for the speech I am working on
-- Figure out how to take a 2 mile walk from work on my lunch break
-- Make my mammogram appointment!!!
-- Cook salmon, vegetables, and lentils when I get home tonight
-- Update my "life plan" and set better, more specific goals

OK, ladies, what are your goals for this short week?! Let's make it count!

Mimi

Comments

• m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    My Goals:
    1. finish knitting project and start another
    2. prepare nutritious meals
    3. be ready for daughter and grandsons on Thursday...fun, fun FUN!
    4. pamper myself with long baths, manicure & pedicure
    5. exercise
    6. spend quiet time every day with my Lord
  • mimivac

My Goals:
    1. finish knitting project and start another
    2. prepare nutritious meals
    3. be ready for daughter and grandsons on Thursday...fun, fun FUN!
    4. pamper myself with long baths, manicure & pedicure
    5. exercise
    6. spend quiet time every day with my Lord

Sounds great!
    Sounds like a good week of activity, family, and time to yourself. Very nice. I need the long bath thing, too. And after camping this weekend, desperately need a pedicure. Walking around in slushy bogs with sandels on is not particularly good for your feet. Yuck.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    This week is rather
    This week is rather preparatory~I am going out of town for 10 days starting Friday. My 28 yr old niece had major spinal surgery, my sister ( her mom) has taken family medical leave, and I am on my way to Sacramento to give my sis a break and take care of my niece.My favorite brother aslso lives in Sacramento, and I am going to spend a few days with him as well.

I am also meeting with the dog trainer on Wednesday; our pup is good-naturedly high strung and I know nada about obedience training! This will help Reggie with him while I am gone as well!

I am trying to fit in the haircut/nails before Friday as well...we'll see!

The Tribe has its annual Pow-Wow this weekend; and Reggie's family own the Frybread stand...this will be the first time in 5 years I won't be working there. But as we all know, you simply can't plan for medical situations which arise! It is especially sad for me, as Reggie and his singing group will aso be performing on Saturday evening. Sigh.....

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • mimivac
    chenheart said:

This week is rather
    This week is rather preparatory~I am going out of town for 10 days starting Friday. My 28 yr old niece had major spinal surgery, my sister ( her mom) has taken family medical leave, and I am on my way to Sacramento to give my sis a break and take care of my niece.My favorite brother aslso lives in Sacramento, and I am going to spend a few days with him as well.

I am also meeting with the dog trainer on Wednesday; our pup is good-naturedly high strung and I know nada about obedience training! This will help Reggie with him while I am gone as well!

I am trying to fit in the haircut/nails before Friday as well...we'll see!

The Tribe has its annual Pow-Wow this weekend; and Reggie's family own the Frybread stand...this will be the first time in 5 years I won't be working there. But as we all know, you simply can't plan for medical situations which arise! It is especially sad for me, as Reggie and his singing group will aso be performing on Saturday evening. Sigh.....

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Oh my
    Sorry to hear about your niece, Claudia. I hope that she recovers fully and quickly. It's great of you to go and help out. I'm sure it's much appreciated. Maybe Reggie can have his singing group videotaped so you can watch it later. It won't be the whole experience of course, but better than nothing. My best to you this week on getting everything done. Definitely try to take a little time for yourself, too. Maybe a nice manicure would be relaxing....

Mimi
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    mimivac said:

Oh my
    Sorry to hear about your niece, Claudia. I hope that she recovers fully and quickly. It's great of you to go and help out. I'm sure it's much appreciated. Maybe Reggie can have his singing group videotaped so you can watch it later. It won't be the whole experience of course, but better than nothing. My best to you this week on getting everything done. Definitely try to take a little time for yourself, too. Maybe a nice manicure would be relaxing....

Mimi

Try to stay on Chemo - 18 week program as planned
    After crying like a baby this morning during my Herceptin treatment - week #6 out of 18, I found myself telling onc and staff that this would be my last treatment .. tired, fatigued and depressed. Next Tuesday at 9:00 a.m. would of been my 3rd cycle of TCH - plus 2 weeks of herceptin .. My onc does not want to give me a week off or two to build up my strength. So I am in a pickle .. do I cry my way thru 12 more straight weeks of chemo, or do I quit .. I am not a quitter .. just tired and fatigued. I wish I could just have the TCH and 2 weeks off, no heceptin .. but this is not the treatment plan for me.

VickiSam
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    VickiSam said:

After crying like a baby this morning during my Herceptin treatment - week #6 out of 18, I found myself telling onc and staff that this would be my last treatment .. tired, fatigued and depressed. Next Tuesday at 9:00 a.m. would of been my 3rd cycle of TCH - plus 2 weeks of herceptin .. My onc does not want to give me a week off or two to build up my strength. So I am in a pickle .. do I cry my way thru 12 more straight weeks of chemo, or do I quit .. I am not a quitter .. just tired and fatigued. I wish I could just have the TCH and 2 weeks off, no heceptin .. but this is not the treatment plan for me.

VickiSam

You can do it!!!!
    VickiSam, I know you can. It's not easy but you knew it wouldn't be. You're not a quitter as you said, so I guess your alternative is to get through it the best way you can. I think I can speak for all of us, we're here to help in whatever way we can. Just, please, keep telling yourself, I CAN DO IT!!!
  • mimivac
    VickiSam said:

VickiSam

It's OK to cry through it
    It's OK to be at your wit's end, tired and depressed. Try to keep at it. Ask your oncologist for more tips on maintaining your energy level and reducing side effects. This is very, very hard and you're not the first to want to quit, that's for sure. Have you tried accupressure, therapeutic massage, meditation, or other techniques? I know you are probably too tired to think about alternative medicine right now, but there are things you can do that might help with side effects. Don't give up, Vicki. Put everything you've got into finishing the program. Make that your one and only goal and promise yourself one heck of a reward when it's all over. Shift your attention to planning out a dream vacation. Do what you can to keep on track. Push through this. You are very strong and have already been through a lot of the treatment.

Mimi
  • chenheart
    Mimi..I wanted to tell you
    Mimi..I wanted to tell you about feeding the homeless on Monday...and how EASY it was. I know you are interested in doing it too, and this was over the top beyond simple.

We had an impromtu potluck here at the house Saturday night; Reggie's singing group came over to practice, and all of the guys brought something. So, what I made, and made a lot of, was perfect for dividing up for the homeless. I had made 2 beefy mac casseroles in 8X13 pans. We had so much food here, that only about 1/4 of it was eaten. I had some paper bowls, so I cut the leftover ( now cold) casserole into big squares, and had enough to fill 10 bowls. I put a plastic spoon in each bowl and covered it with foil. Someone brought a store bought bundt cake, I sliced 10 pieces and put them in baggies. Two people brought those big serving platters of cut melons, so I divvied them up into 10 baggies as well. and here is what made me think of you~ as far as the ease and welcomed food...you'll never guess what else I did! I had pita bread which was getting kinda dry...so, I made PBandJ and added ripe banana slices to each pita! I cut them in half, and yup~I made 10! I put 5 meals each into 2 paper supermarket bags and headed to our city park. I even put a can of dog food in each bag as many of these ppl have dogs who get hungry and I don't want the men to have to give away their needed food to feed their dogs.

I saw 2 groups of 4 at 2 different parks, and just walked over and said " Hi Guys...I have some food here~ can you use it?" They are always so happy and gracious; I have never had a bad experience. Neither of the groups had dogs, and I sooo don't want to insult anyone, so I made sure to tell them I put in a can of dog food for any of their friends who might have dogs!

So, Mimi, this is just to tell you that you don't have to make a gourmet feast to help people, give them a meal and have it be nutritious! All you need is a willing heart, which you already have!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • mimivac
    chenheart said:

Mimi..I wanted to tell you
    Mimi..I wanted to tell you about feeding the homeless on Monday...and how EASY it was. I know you are interested in doing it too, and this was over the top beyond simple.

We had an impromtu potluck here at the house Saturday night; Reggie's singing group came over to practice, and all of the guys brought something. So, what I made, and made a lot of, was perfect for dividing up for the homeless. I had made 2 beefy mac casseroles in 8X13 pans. We had so much food here, that only about 1/4 of it was eaten. I had some paper bowls, so I cut the leftover ( now cold) casserole into big squares, and had enough to fill 10 bowls. I put a plastic spoon in each bowl and covered it with foil. Someone brought a store bought bundt cake, I sliced 10 pieces and put them in baggies. Two people brought those big serving platters of cut melons, so I divvied them up into 10 baggies as well. and here is what made me think of you~ as far as the ease and welcomed food...you'll never guess what else I did! I had pita bread which was getting kinda dry...so, I made PBandJ and added ripe banana slices to each pita! I cut them in half, and yup~I made 10! I put 5 meals each into 2 paper supermarket bags and headed to our city park. I even put a can of dog food in each bag as many of these ppl have dogs who get hungry and I don't want the men to have to give away their needed food to feed their dogs.

I saw 2 groups of 4 at 2 different parks, and just walked over and said " Hi Guys...I have some food here~ can you use it?" They are always so happy and gracious; I have never had a bad experience. Neither of the groups had dogs, and I sooo don't want to insult anyone, so I made sure to tell them I put in a can of dog food for any of their friends who might have dogs!

So, Mimi, this is just to tell you that you don't have to make a gourmet feast to help people, give them a meal and have it be nutritious! All you need is a willing heart, which you already have!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Great!
    Chen, I love it. You are so right, it doesn't have to be complicated or fancy or over-thought. And a selfish reason to do it is that it gets you out of yourself and ruminating about the little (and big) things that are wrong in your own life. It's funny that you posted this today b/c just yesterday I was thinking about this idea again and mentioned to Simon that I wanted to do it. Once again, you have inspired me.
  • chenheart
    mimivac said:

Great!
    Chen, I love it. You are so right, it doesn't have to be complicated or fancy or over-thought. And a selfish reason to do it is that it gets you out of yourself and ruminating about the little (and big) things that are wrong in your own life. It's funny that you posted this today b/c just yesterday I was thinking about this idea again and mentioned to Simon that I wanted to do it. Once again, you have inspired me.

I am glad you feel
    I am glad you feel inspired...one more thing~ it's getting cold out, as if you didn't know, and it's a long time between meals. I dunno, I just think it's not so bad in the summertime for these lost souls, but winter? Even here in Calif it is in the low 40's right now; I can only imagine the DC area. PB and J with banana slices...you can't go wrong with that! :-)

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • mimivac
    Well...
    I made my mammogram appointment and my bloodwork appointment yesterday, so that's good. I also went home and cooked and cleaned pretty much all evening. Packed my lunch.... and then forgot it sitting on the counter this morning. How long do cooked salmon and mushrooms last without refrigeration? Ugh.

Well, today I will try to work diligently so that I feel good about meeting the girls tonight for tapas and drinks after work. Hope everyone is doing well with their goals this Wednesday morning.

Mimi
  • mimivac
    mimivac said:

Well...
    I made my mammogram appointment and my bloodwork appointment yesterday, so that's good. I also went home and cooked and cleaned pretty much all evening. Packed my lunch.... and then forgot it sitting on the counter this morning. How long do cooked salmon and mushrooms last without refrigeration? Ugh.

Well, today I will try to work diligently so that I feel good about meeting the girls tonight for tapas and drinks after work. Hope everyone is doing well with their goals this Wednesday morning.

Mimi

Coming along
    Well, it's almost Roll Call Friday and I am still working on my weekly goals. It's been a hazy, busy week. Haven't cooked as much as I've wanted to. Hopefully I will remedy that tonight: snow crab legs, chicken, and a big salad to be made.

I've started listening to Pema Chodrun on audio book. I'm not sure what I think of it. She talks about staying in the moment and experiencing the world on a non-conceptual basis and letting illness be your teacher and open you up. Interesting concepts. The problem for me is that when I'm in the moment, I forget all the things I need to do and kind of space out. I'm not used to that. I'm used to planning and thinking ahead and organizing and listing. Things to think about.

Anyway, just ruminating. Hope everyone is having a good week and is ready for the weekend. It's rainy and cold here in DC. Just want to snuggle under the covers with my cats.

Mimi
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    mimivac said:

Coming along
    Well, it's almost Roll Call Friday and I am still working on my weekly goals. It's been a hazy, busy week. Haven't cooked as much as I've wanted to. Hopefully I will remedy that tonight: snow crab legs, chicken, and a big salad to be made.

I've started listening to Pema Chodrun on audio book. I'm not sure what I think of it. She talks about staying in the moment and experiencing the world on a non-conceptual basis and letting illness be your teacher and open you up. Interesting concepts. The problem for me is that when I'm in the moment, I forget all the things I need to do and kind of space out. I'm not used to that. I'm used to planning and thinking ahead and organizing and listing. Things to think about.

Anyway, just ruminating. Hope everyone is having a good week and is ready for the weekend. It's rainy and cold here in DC. Just want to snuggle under the covers with my cats.

Mimi

Crab legs
    Mmmm.....can I come over? I LOVE crab legs! I really like reading your posts because you just "talk" about your day - it makes a good read.

It is rainy and cold in Wisconsin, too. The next time I'm in Northern VA it would be fun to meet you. All of my in-laws live in DC or Northern VA so when you talk about restaurants or places you go I try to figure out if I've ever been there. I like Red Hot & Blue in Roslin for ribs. We were planning to go to VA this past summer (haven't been there for two years now), but my bc dx in May screwed that all up and now we won't make it until next summer I suppose.

A few years ago (2002 or 2003) we were in DC on the 4th of July. It was in the high 90s when we were there (with a heat index of 104 or something) and because of 9/11 they had all the grassy areas blocked off with snow fencing. I was so proud that I packed some nice shirts and enough underwear for the trip that I never packed any shorts and ended up walking around all day in jeans (not smart). Anyway, we watched the parade and then went all over the place around the mall (the Smithsonian with the rock shop in it is a must stop place for us) and checked out the Air & Space Museum and other places like that. We had to walk all the way around using the sidewalks and then I had to have my purse and all the bags searched every time we went somewhere. Since then I have learned to travel lighter when we go walking around and I make sure I don't have any "weapons" (pocket knife or small scissors) or "drugs" (prescription or Tylenol in an unmarked container) that may be seen and confiscated by the security people. Having them see my stash of pads and tampons was embarassing enough. :-)