Location, location, location

Comments

• velo8162
    velo8162 Member Posts: 15

Bumping for our new members
    Share if you'd like!

I live in Sugar Land, Tx, about 15 miles south west of Houston. Prior to that I lived in New Hampshire and Arizona. Was born and raised in Georgia.
  • Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945

Share if you'd like!

and glad to-
    I have lived

and glad to-
    I have lived all over the world
    not from Minneapolis
    but have been here 27 years
    and it is home :)
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member

Share if you'd like!

Not too hard to figure out
    I'm from Minnesota - bet you couldn't guess that! :) I live in kind of in the boonies, right on the edge of civilization - a south suburb of the Twin Cities. It is a nice balance - out on 10 acres with a big garden, fruit trees, and lots of wildlife, but yet an easy drive to as much culture, medical care, sporting events, or shopping you could ever want - including the Mall of America.

Much of my year is also spent in my house on Isla Mujeres, a little island across from Cancun. It is my "Mexico office." I just returned late August after a month there with my youngest son. I work out of both locations - US and Mexico. Unfortunately life threw me a little curveball and I will not be spending Halloween, New Year's, or the month of February in Mexico as originally planned. But I am still hoping to spend 7-10 days in February for our anniversary like we always do (we were married on the island). And one great big party is already in the works in April for my birthday after I finish chemo. I have friends from all over the US, Canada and Mexico planning to attend on the island. Now if I can just get this chemo train rolling, so I can reach the end and keep those plans... My oncologist says if I do well enough with chemo, after monitoring me for the first two treatments, he'll let me go in between other treatments.

I can't afford the airfare more than a couple times right now for the upcoming months (medical bills piling up) - and I prefer to go a minimum of 2 weeks at a shot once I do pay for air. But, hey - I'll take what I can get at this point. It is my second "home" and a big part of my recovery and remission from RSD/CRPS. I know if I can get there it will also help me with my cancer fight. The sunshine and ocean recharge me like nothing else can. And it is so much easier to get exercise in the winter in the warmth than in the freezing cold here. The ocean, and that special island with my extended family, hold healing powers for me - heart, body and soul.
  • Muzzy
    Muzzy Member Posts: 175 Member
    Great Idea
    I live in Sterling hghts Michigan and Charlotte North Coralina. It a long story.
    But I get the best of both worlds.
    Jeff
    Just Happy to be here!!
  • thready
    thready Member Posts: 474
    Texas Connection
    We are in Bedford, TX, known for.... well probably nothing. We are a part of the midcities area between Dallas and Fort Worth. I'm not a "true" Texan, Colorado is where I am originally from. Whe have had opportunities to live in several places including California (Rancho Cucamonga-yes that is a real place) and Wichita Kansas.
  • nmlandlady
    nmlandlady Member Posts: 37
    thready said:

Texas Connection
    We are in Bedford, TX, known for.... well probably nothing. We are a part of the midcities area between Dallas and Fort Worth. I'm not a "true" Texan, Colorado is where I am originally from. Whe have had opportunities to live in several places including California (Rancho Cucamonga-yes that is a real place) and Wichita Kansas.

Great post. I live in a rural town in north eastern New Mexico about 40 miles from the Texas border on interstate 40. Tucumcari (named after an Indian chiefs daughter and her true love). We are about 4500 in population (so no Walmart). I was born in Texas and lived equally in Texas (Amarillo, Dallas, Houston), Oklahoma and New Mexico. Our climate here is the best. We have 1 grocery store with outdated foods most of the time, fresh anything is a joke. We have a Kmart and Alco along with the Dollar Stores. Our restaurants consist of 3 that are worth spending money at-so when I drive 85 miles for Chemo or 110 miles one direction and 175 miles the other direction to shop-we really make a day of it. It really makes you appreciate the little things. My husband was born and raised in Houston area and we still have family in Pasadena, Friendswood, and League City. Thanks for the post, it is really neat to see where everyone is from.
  • WinneyPooh
    WinneyPooh Member Posts: 318

Great post. I live in a rural town in north eastern New Mexico about 40 miles from the Texas border on interstate 40. Tucumcari (named after an Indian chiefs daughter and her true love). We are about 4500 in population (so no Walmart). I was born in Texas and lived equally in Texas (Amarillo, Dallas, Houston), Oklahoma and New Mexico. Our climate here is the best. We have 1 grocery store with outdated foods most of the time, fresh anything is a joke. We have a Kmart and Alco along with the Dollar Stores. Our restaurants consist of 3 that are worth spending money at-so when I drive 85 miles for Chemo or 110 miles one direction and 175 miles the other direction to shop-we really make a day of it. It really makes you appreciate the little things. My husband was born and raised in Houston area and we still have family in Pasadena, Friendswood, and League City. Thanks for the post, it is really neat to see where everyone is from.

Athens< GA Go DAWGS
    Athens, Ga 20 plus years;\
    Winney
  • Greylloyd
    Greylloyd Member Posts: 3
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi
    I'm from Melbourne, in the state of Victoria, Australia.

cheers
  • amcp
    amcp Member Posts: 251 Member
    Living in Tennessee
    My husband was born in Brownwood Texas and I was born in Florence Alabama. We both grew up and lived 30 plus years in WASKOM TEXAS which is 15 miles from Shreveport Louisana off Interstate 20. Very very small town was once known for having the most Service Stations. We have moved around with my husbands job. Lived on the coast of Texas in a small town called Point Comfort Texas and Port Lavaca Texas. It was 125 miles to Houston. We now live in Maryville Tennessee which is about 15 miles from Knoxville. We are not far from the Smokey Mountain National Park. I have an older sister in Atlanta, GA, a brother in Topeka, KS and a younger sister still in our home town Waskom, TX. Frank has one brother in Virginia and another in North Carolina. Thanks for the thread ...it's great to know where everyone lives.
    Praying for everyone,
    Anna
  • menright
    menright Member Posts: 256 Member
    Granby Connecticut
    I live in a town in NW Connecticut very near the Massachusetts border.

My town was founded in 1786. Lots of interesting history around these parts.

Mike
  • DennisR
    DennisR Member Posts: 148
    Hi All,
    I live in Helena,

Hi All,
    I live in Helena, Montana. Helena is the State Capital...and well...Gary Cooper was born here. Actually Helena is a very Historic town and was founded during the Gold Rush days and was home to many of the Copper Kings and has numerous Historic Homes built by European Craftsman brought over from the various Countries the Ultra Rich Kings just to build their homes. I guess they didn't appreciate the TeePees, Tents & Tar paper shacks the locals seemed to prefer. I was born in Hibbing,Minnesota and still own a rustic cabin there on a small privately owned lake near Big Fork. (And did I mention Gary Cooper was born in Helena, Montana? :) I also lived in Lincoln. Nebraska, so I'm a Husker Fan, and also lived in Reseda, California, Gunnison, Colorado, Ogden, Utah, and Las Vegas, Nevada. My wife of 44 years, Gerry, was born in London, England and has sisters in London and Venice, Italy.
    DennisR
  • orthodocswife
    orthodocswife Member Posts: 5
    DennisR said:

Hi All,
    I live in Helena,

Hi All,
    I live in Helena, Montana. Helena is the State Capital...and well...Gary Cooper was born here. Actually Helena is a very Historic town and was founded during the Gold Rush days and was home to many of the Copper Kings and has numerous Historic Homes built by European Craftsman brought over from the various Countries the Ultra Rich Kings just to build their homes. I guess they didn't appreciate the TeePees, Tents & Tar paper shacks the locals seemed to prefer. I was born in Hibbing,Minnesota and still own a rustic cabin there on a small privately owned lake near Big Fork. (And did I mention Gary Cooper was born in Helena, Montana? :) I also lived in Lincoln. Nebraska, so I'm a Husker Fan, and also lived in Reseda, California, Gunnison, Colorado, Ogden, Utah, and Las Vegas, Nevada. My wife of 44 years, Gerry, was born in London, England and has sisters in London and Venice, Italy.
    DennisR

Birmingham, Alabama
    Beautiful town with a bad rep! Only city I can think of with a mayor who is facing federal charges. Hey, we got the Faulkner/Snopes thing down pat... Anyone interested in leprechauns check out the you tube Alabama town that has spotted one! Lolaughter!
  • cbcardb12
    cbcardb12 Member Posts: 84

Birmingham, Alabama
    Beautiful town with a bad rep! Only city I can think of with a mayor who is facing federal charges. Hey, we got the Faulkner/Snopes thing down pat... Anyone interested in leprechauns check out the you tube Alabama town that has spotted one! Lolaughter!

Snellville, GA...
    Small, beautiful, friendly town about 27 miles north of Atlanta. My brother calls it "Bugville".We've lived in this area for 21 years. Originally from Greensboro, NC.
  • tammy41
    tammy41 Member Posts: 48
    cbcardb12 said:

Snellville, GA...
    Small, beautiful, friendly town about 27 miles north of Atlanta. My brother calls it "Bugville".We've lived in this area for 21 years. Originally from Greensboro, NC.

i live in northfield
    i live in northfield newhampshire very small town it has lots of lakes all around and tons of snow in the winter would'nt want to be anywhere but here i love it(its so small i get to go to the store in my pjs and im not the only one there dressed like that)tammy
  • jscho
    jscho Member Posts: 62

Not too hard to figure out
    I'm from Minnesota - bet you couldn't guess that! :) I live in kind of in the boonies, right on the edge of civilization - a south suburb of the Twin Cities. It is a nice balance - out on 10 acres with a big garden, fruit trees, and lots of wildlife, but yet an easy drive to as much culture, medical care, sporting events, or shopping you could ever want - including the Mall of America.

Much of my year is also spent in my house on Isla Mujeres, a little island across from Cancun. It is my "Mexico office." I just returned late August after a month there with my youngest son. I work out of both locations - US and Mexico. Unfortunately life threw me a little curveball and I will not be spending Halloween, New Year's, or the month of February in Mexico as originally planned. But I am still hoping to spend 7-10 days in February for our anniversary like we always do (we were married on the island). And one great big party is already in the works in April for my birthday after I finish chemo. I have friends from all over the US, Canada and Mexico planning to attend on the island. Now if I can just get this chemo train rolling, so I can reach the end and keep those plans... My oncologist says if I do well enough with chemo, after monitoring me for the first two treatments, he'll let me go in between other treatments.

I can't afford the airfare more than a couple times right now for the upcoming months (medical bills piling up) - and I prefer to go a minimum of 2 weeks at a shot once I do pay for air. But, hey - I'll take what I can get at this point. It is my second "home" and a big part of my recovery and remission from RSD/CRPS. I know if I can get there it will also help me with my cancer fight. The sunshine and ocean recharge me like nothing else can. And it is so much easier to get exercise in the winter in the warmth than in the freezing cold here. The ocean, and that special island with my extended family, hold healing powers for me - heart, body and soul.

Isla Mujeres
    Hi, I spent a few days on Isla Mujeres about 15 years ago and remember it fondly. We enjoyed the beautiful beaches and good snorkeling. Much nicer than Cancun, in my book. We also took a boat ride to a nearby island that is a bird sanctuary, though I don't remember its name.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your recuperation time down there.

Best,
    Jeremy
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    Central Wyoming
    I grew up in Boston, MA but have called Lander, WY home since 1974. I've also lived and worked in Kenya, East Africa, and Baja California Sur, México. Traveled and climbed in PNW, SW, Alaska, Bolivia/Peru and India/Nepal.

Leslie
  • Mchapp
    Mchapp Member Posts: 95
    lesvanb said:

Central Wyoming
    I grew up in Boston, MA but have called Lander, WY home since 1974. I've also lived and worked in Kenya, East Africa, and Baja California Sur, México. Traveled and climbed in PNW, SW, Alaska, Bolivia/Peru and India/Nepal.

Leslie

Almost Heaven
    Northern Tip of West Virginia - 18 miles due west of Pittsburgh airport - 5 miles from East Liverpool, Ohio...
    (grew up at Deep Creek Lake, Maryland - 45 minutes south of Morgantown, WV)

Couch burning WVU fan too!

Steeler fan ALL the way!
  • nanagrandma
    nanagrandma Member Posts: 40
    I live in upstate N.Y. A town called Bainbridge . They hold the the general clinton canoe reggatta. It starts in cooperstown and ends in bainbridge. It's a 70 mile flat river race. People come from all over to race.
  • AceSFO
    AceSFO Member Posts: 229
    mom_2_3 said:

Morris County, NJ
    I live in Morris County, NJ.

No jokes about New Jersey, ok? I have heard them all!

And yes, I do love the Sopranos!!

Here's a bit of history...(cut and paste)

"During the Revolutionary War, Morris County was known as The Military Capital of the American Revolution , because of its strategic location, which prompted Gen. George Washington and his Continental Army to make their winter encampments near Morristown on two different winters. Much of the historic lore of these encampments is preserved today in Morristown National Historical Park."

I love the history here, the old houses and being 25 miles from NYC. It's the best of all worlds (if you forget about our Governor, property taxes and industrial smells...). :)

Morris County!
    Hey! I grew up there! It's beautiful, but nobody believes it unless they've been there. Maybe I'll PM you and we can talk in more detail. I love it there and go back at least once a year. My folks are still in the house I grew up in and my sister and her family are nearby in Boonton. Ha! Small world!
  • AceSFO
    AceSFO Member Posts: 229
    San Francisco CA
    Should be obvious from my user name. But I grew up in Northern New Jersey (Morris County, like mom_2_3). I've been here in SF since 1985 but still go back to NJ at least once a year. Big tight family, and since Dec '07 I have a new little niece who is amazing and fun to be with.