no vitamins

Taina
Taina Member Posts: 166
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just started radiation today. Per doctor NO VITAMINS while rads tx.
prep for rads twice last week, marks on my breast and 2 tattoos. Todays
zap was short, not bad at all, feel my breast hard and warm.

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Good luck! I've seen others
    Good luck! I've seen others posts on here about no vitamins during rads!

Take all the creams they advise. Ritzy has some good advice on her posts.

Hang in there! :)
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Hi Taina! I just finished
    Hi Taina! I just finished my zappers today and am going to go take a nap before we celebtate, but, wanted to reply to you. No vitamins! You don't want those cells to get healthy or healthier. I think all rads oncologist agree with that! I am surprised that your breast is already warm and hard. You hang in there and just ask if you need to know anything about mine. But always, only do what your rads oncologist says. Are you putting the creams on yet? You should, right from the start.

Sue :)
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I copied and pasted this
    I copied and pasted this from the BreastCancer.org site...interesting, indeed!

Your radiation oncologist may tell you to avoid taking certain supplemental antioxidant vitamins, such as vitamins C, A, D, and E, while you're having radiation therapy. These vitamins might interfere with radiation's ability to destroy cancer cells.

Here's why: Radiation works in part by creating free radicals — highly energized molecules that damage cancer cells. Free radicals in the environment can damage all cells, but in the case of radiation treatment they are focused on the cancer cells. Antioxidants help keep free radicals from forming, or neutralize them if they do form.

Because of the potential conflict between the goal of radiation therapy (to make free radicals) and the goal of antioxidants (to neutralize free radicals), it makes sense to stop taking any antioxidant supplements during radiation therapy. When radiation is finished, you can resume taking your supplements.

Throughout your treatment, do your best to eat a well–balanced diet that contains all of the vitamins you need. Vitamins that come naturally from food are unlikely to interfere with treatment.

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Taina
    chenheart said:

I copied and pasted this

Your radiation oncologist may tell you to avoid taking certain supplemental antioxidant vitamins, such as vitamins C, A, D, and E, while you're having radiation therapy. These vitamins might interfere with radiation's ability to destroy cancer cells.

Here's why: Radiation works in part by creating free radicals — highly energized molecules that damage cancer cells. Free radicals in the environment can damage all cells, but in the case of radiation treatment they are focused on the cancer cells. Antioxidants help keep free radicals from forming, or neutralize them if they do form.

Because of the potential conflict between the goal of radiation therapy (to make free radicals) and the goal of antioxidants (to neutralize free radicals), it makes sense to stop taking any antioxidant supplements during radiation therapy. When radiation is finished, you can resume taking your supplements.

Throughout your treatment, do your best to eat a well–balanced diet that contains all of the vitamins you need. Vitamins that come naturally from food are unlikely to interfere with treatment.

Hugs,
    Chen♥

thanks
    thanks a lot for the information......
  • Taina
    Ritzy said:

Hi Taina! I just finished
    Hi Taina! I just finished my zappers today and am going to go take a nap before we celebtate, but, wanted to reply to you. No vitamins! You don't want those cells to get healthy or healthier. I think all rads oncologist agree with that! I am surprised that your breast is already warm and hard. You hang in there and just ask if you need to know anything about mine. But always, only do what your rads oncologist says. Are you putting the creams on yet? You should, right from the start.

Sue :)

congrats!!!!
    congratulations....i'm so happy or you...
    i have to ask them for creams...
    i just got aloe.....
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    chenheart said:

I copied and pasted this

Hugs,
    Chen♥

No vitamins too
    My rads oncologist said no to vitamins too. And, like Ritzy said, you don't want your cells to get healthy. That is basically it. Good luck to you!

Leeza
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    My rads oncologist said no
    My rads oncologist said no vitamins too. And, it makes sense, even though I had never thought of it before. Be sure and use your creams Taina. And, get lots of rest!

♥ Noel
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Taina said:

congrats!!!!
    congratulations....i'm so happy or you...
    i have to ask them for creams...
    i just got aloe.....

I was told no vitamins
    I was told no vitamins during my rads too. You always need to do what your own rads oncologist says, but, I think most do say no.

Good luck to you with your rads Taina!

HUGS!