New here

matsu
matsu Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and to breast cancer. What/who do you consider a "survivor?" Had a 7 mm. mass show up on ultrasound, not on mammography, nor could it be felt. Surgeon removed it September 21 - ductal cell carcinoma. Did a lymph node biopsy - nodes clear. He's declared me cancer-free and return in 6 months for check up. Whaddaya think about that plan? And do I consider myself a survivor, or.... Thanks. It's so strange to feel "qualified" for this space, but grateful you're all here. :o)

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Welcome to the Club you never wanted to join!
    I recently posted that I considered myself a survivor the minute I woke up from surgery~ I had a cancerous tumor when I went in for surgery, and had none when I woke up again! I did the chemo, radiation, and took meds after that ( and my nodes were involved) but I was , and AM a survivor!!!

You are the poster-child for early detection and treatment! HOORAY that you had such a tiny tumor, although just knowing about it probably made it seems as large as the grand canyon to you! Clean nodes and a tumour removed and no other treatment except for follow ups with your Dr? Awesome!

As for your survivor question? You had carcinoma...by definition cancer! so hell yeah you are a survivor! You are welcome to these boards whenever you'd like~you it the "profile!"

But the main thing, now that mortality has tapped you on the shoulder~ be vigilant about your health and get out there and LIVE LIFE!!!!!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • matsu
    chenheart said:

Welcome to the Club you never wanted to join!
    I recently posted that I considered myself a survivor the minute I woke up from surgery~ I had a cancerous tumor when I went in for surgery, and had none when I woke up again! I did the chemo, radiation, and took meds after that ( and my nodes were involved) but I was , and AM a survivor!!!

You are the poster-child for early detection and treatment! HOORAY that you had such a tiny tumor, although just knowing about it probably made it seems as large as the grand canyon to you! Clean nodes and a tumour removed and no other treatment except for follow ups with your Dr? Awesome!

As for your survivor question? You had carcinoma...by definition cancer! so hell yeah you are a survivor! You are welcome to these boards whenever you'd like~you it the "profile!"

But the main thing, now that mortality has tapped you on the shoulder~ be vigilant about your health and get out there and LIVE LIFE!!!!!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

survivor?
    Thank you so much, Chen! What a positive and uplifting message. Poster child? Wow! I thought it came and went awfully fast, but guess I'll take it, huh? So many suffer so long, and so much more. I plan to keep my yearly mammogram in December, and will continue to monitor carefully. God bless you.
  • chenheart
    matsu said:

survivor?
    Thank you so much, Chen! What a positive and uplifting message. Poster child? Wow! I thought it came and went awfully fast, but guess I'll take it, huh? So many suffer so long, and so much more. I plan to keep my yearly mammogram in December, and will continue to monitor carefully. God bless you.

:-) We will all be envious
    :-) We will all be envious of you~ in a mentally healthy way, of course!

I noticed you asked if someone was from California~ we have lotsa Ca Girls in here, myself included! I lived in Long Beach for 27 years, and now live in Santa Ynez; 30 miles north of Santa Barbara and 3 miles from Solvang, if you are familiar with the area. Where are you from?

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    chenheart said:

:-) We will all be envious
    :-) We will all be envious of you~ in a mentally healthy way, of course!

I noticed you asked if someone was from California~ we have lotsa Ca Girls in here, myself included! I lived in Long Beach for 27 years, and now live in Santa Ynez; 30 miles north of Santa Barbara and 3 miles from Solvang, if you are familiar with the area. Where are you from?

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Matsu .. Congrad's - on finding the lump and no rads or
    chemo treatment. This is a good sign, indeed.

I am from California .. Anaheim Hills, Yorba Linda - West Corona area. Are you around here ?

Vicki Sam
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Yes you qualify
    And yes you are a survivor. Anyone who has been diagnosed and is still living is a survivor.

Welcome. I agree with Claudia that you could be a poster child for early detection. You are so lucky that you found it so early.

Hugs
    Jadie<3
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Welcome Matsu!
    So glad that you are with NED-No Evidence of Disease !What a nice avatar picture you have!
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    Congratulations! I am so
    Congratulations! I am so happy that you have been given such great "all clear" news! Yes - DCIS is cancer! Doctors consider it to be Stage 0 since there was no invasion! You clearly are an over-achiever to have sailed through this the way you have. At first my surgeon was hoping I would be a Stage 0. Your plan sounds in line with everything my doctors have told me and all the research I've done to confirm what my doctors have told me. Enjoy your new lease on life and never hesitate to tell people that you are a breast cancer survivor. We all aspire to that distinction! Rock on!
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    OK California girls
    I'm from South Dakota and currently freezing my butt off, however; it's
    better I'm in the middle of all my treatments during winter than summer.....my chemo will be done and bilateral mastectomy (lymphs and ovaries) surgery in mid January when we are below zero temps. I may be living vicariously through you California ladies as I'm snuggled up on the couch with a heating blanket and my lap top :) Anybody from South Dakota out there?
    Kari
  • chenheart

OK California girls
    better I'm in the middle of all my treatments during winter than summer.....my chemo will be done and bilateral mastectomy (lymphs and ovaries) surgery in mid January when we are below zero temps. I may be living vicariously through you California ladies as I'm snuggled up on the couch with a heating blanket and my lap top :) Anybody from South Dakota out there?
    Kari

Well, we have freezing
    Well, we have freezing weather in California too~ from where I live ( central Calif) up to nothern Calif which of course gets all of the brrrrrr-freeeezing Sierra Nevada snow/ice! We won't mention late summer wildfires and now mud-slides!!! No place is perfect, afterall sigh! LOL

Stay snuggled up with your lap-top; you will be in great company! :-)

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • chenheart

OK California girls
    Kari

Well, we have freezing
    Wow...triple post!
  • chenheart

OK California girls
    Kari

Well, we have freezing
    Dreaded Double Post!
  • matsu
    chenheart said:

Well, we have freezing
    Wow...triple post!

California Dreamin'
    I saw a picture of Natly15 who looked like a lady I square danced with in the 1980s in Costa Mesa California. Since a couple of you have asked: I lived in the East Bay area, then Mission Viejo, then Costa Mesa. Left there in 1987 and moved to Alaska...LOVED IT!!! But no family there, so came back "to America" in 2001 and moved to Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri. But now, ever on the go, I guess, my beautiful waterfront home is for sale and I am planning to buy in an Active Adult Community in Beaumont, California as soon as it sells. I guess I've done my running and gunning, and heading home to settle down. Or am I? :o) Thank you all for your support and encouragement. A nurse from another doctor's office told me I was crazy to not do chemo, radiation, and wait 6 months for a check up. Well, that felt conflicted! But I'm choosing to hear all of you, and accept the opinion of the surgeon whom I'm paying for wisdom, and go with his recommendation. Hopefully the 6 month MRI (both breasts) will confirm it was a wise choice. God bless you all as you journey.