Sicilian on board

Sicilia929
Sicilia929 Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am brand new. I have had a lumpectomy and will be starting chemo this week. I am an emotional wreck! As someone who follows Edgar Cayce and who is a certified personal trainer, it is hard to reconcile shooting poison into my viens. I will do the chemo but it scares me more than the cancer. I believe I will be getting cytoxan and docetaxel. Has anyone else had that combo who could put me at some ease? I am prone to panic attacks which, if you have had one, leads to you thinking you can't breath. The surgeon put me on Ativan which helps ALOT. I have read on the side effects "shortness of breath" and "sinus congestion".
I don't have computer access at home and I am not on line often as I have to go to a cafe. So if I don't respond promptly please understand. Thank you.

Comments

• Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    Hi Sicialia
    I just started Chemo so I understand your concerns. I do not take the same meds but I can assure you that the meds and technology they have today are great and it isnt as bad as you would think. Everyone is different but besides some fatigue and constipation, I am sailing through so far. I am also on Adavan and it is great...I agree. Just listen to these women on here..they know what they are talking about and are super supportive. Good luck..
  • Sicilia929
    Sam726 said:

Hi Sicialia
    I just started Chemo so I understand your concerns. I do not take the same meds but I can assure you that the meds and technology they have today are great and it isnt as bad as you would think. Everyone is different but besides some fatigue and constipation, I am sailing through so far. I am also on Adavan and it is great...I agree. Just listen to these women on here..they know what they are talking about and are super supportive. Good luck..

Thank you, Sam. I will
    Thank you, Sam. I will visit this site as often as possible. I'll get through this, I know. This is one of those times when you truly miss your mom and dad. Doesn't matter your age. I am reduced to a scared little girl who needs her mommy to hug her.
    God bless you and keep you, Sam.
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233

Thank you, Sam. I will
    Thank you, Sam. I will visit this site as often as possible. I'll get through this, I know. This is one of those times when you truly miss your mom and dad. Doesn't matter your age. I am reduced to a scared little girl who needs her mommy to hug her.
    God bless you and keep you, Sam.

awwww
    That makes me want to cry....yes, I know what its like to want mom and dad. My mom was here for a few days after my treatment. She definitely made things easier. Remember to lean on your friends and family. If you are like me you are super independent and its hard to ask for help. Im here if you need someone to talk to....Im a bit younger than you (33), but a good listener!
    Sam
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    WELCOME SICILIA
    I'm not on the same treatment plan as you, but wanted to say WELCOME to the board. There is so many knowledgable people here and they are a great comfort. Good Luck and Hugs, Diane
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    chickad52 said:

WELCOME SICILIA
    I'm not on the same treatment plan as you, but wanted to say WELCOME to the board. There is so many knowledgable people here and they are a great comfort. Good Luck and Hugs, Diane

Hi Sicilia
    If you are a fan of Edgar Cayce, you might enjoy reading the works of Dr. Bernie Seigel. His book, Love, Medicine and Miracles has some good advise about getting your head in the right place for having chemo, radiation, etc.

Consider yourself HUGGED!

Roseann
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Sicillia
    Welcome to the board. I was on cytoxan/adriamycin for 4 sessions every 2 wks then switched to taxol/herceptin about 4 wks ago. I was pretty panicy as well before my first chemo and I will first tell you that I took a xanax, antianxiety med before my treatment, then told my chemo nurse how nervous I was. They were wonderful to me.

I will also say that the cytoxan adriamycin combination was no cake walk but its do able. Chemo is not like you imagine it...all the nausea and vomitting...they have great premeds to help you with your symptoms. You just have to let your doc know how you feel.

I have been a runner for about 19 years and it was hard to reconcile the chemo...but only for a moment for me..I have faith in the medical community and I want to be around for awhile. I feel chemo will give me the best odds at a longer life.

Post often and vent when you want to..You will always find someone here to help you and to encourage you and soon you will be doing the same to others.

HUgs to you

LInda T
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Welcome to beating the beast
    Like you was not looking forward to placing chemicals in my body of that magnitude. Thought my head would explode and would throw up on everyone. Didn't happen. All the pre-meds do work at keeping side effects to a minium. Not on the same drugs, but all the drugs are working towards the same goal... killing the beast. Good luck and ask all the questions u want. Lots of excellant info from the ones that have been there, and that are there. Hugs and smiles, Katz
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Welcome Sicilia
    I just kept telling myself that the chemo will get rid of the beast, and anything that could be done to chase it out of my body was ok with me. I was afraid of chemo, but my oncologist was very kind and compassionate and made me feel like I was her only patient. She put my fears to rest. She did the chemo right in her office in a room with a big recliner that had so many settings you were always comfortable. I was always cold during chemo, and the chair had heat in it, and there were plenty of blankets. She had a stash of movies and each time I went I watched a movie, which always ended at the right time. Since it was in her office I could use my cell phone, and that kept my mind off of what was going on. Good luck and take a deep breath and put your battle gear on to fight the beast!
    You are in my prayers!
    Pat
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Welcome, Sicilia
    I had those two drugs along with another one for 6 cycles. Everyone is afraid of chemo, but most find that they do just fine on it. I'm not saying it will be a picnic, but you'll probably do better than you think. Remember to treat yourself very well, go slowly, and let yourself have little (or big) indulgences now and then. You are fighting a big, life-saving battle. Take your Ativan. I took xanax during treatment and it sure helped. Don't be afraid to ask for help either. I wish you well.

Mimi
  • Sicilia929
    mimivac said:

Welcome, Sicilia
    I had those two drugs along with another one for 6 cycles. Everyone is afraid of chemo, but most find that they do just fine on it. I'm not saying it will be a picnic, but you'll probably do better than you think. Remember to treat yourself very well, go slowly, and let yourself have little (or big) indulgences now and then. You are fighting a big, life-saving battle. Take your Ativan. I took xanax during treatment and it sure helped. Don't be afraid to ask for help either. I wish you well.

Mimi

Thank you
    Thank you to everyone who responded. I had my first treatment a week ago Friday and it wasn't as bad as I expected. Haven't lost my hair yet but I prepared by cutting it (it was waist length) short. Today I actually feel NORMAL. I believe the worst part was that I would start crying at everything and for nothing. This is a wonderful site full of amazing women and it truly helps to read what everyone has to say about their own experiences. I wish I had computer access at home but on my 'good' days I will come to the cafe to get what feels like a dose of sisterly love. Again....thank you.
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896

Thank you
    Thank you to everyone who responded. I had my first treatment a week ago Friday and it wasn't as bad as I expected. Haven't lost my hair yet but I prepared by cutting it (it was waist length) short. Today I actually feel NORMAL. I believe the worst part was that I would start crying at everything and for nothing. This is a wonderful site full of amazing women and it truly helps to read what everyone has to say about their own experiences. I wish I had computer access at home but on my 'good' days I will come to the cafe to get what feels like a dose of sisterly love. Again....thank you.

Good to hear
    Good to hear you are doing OK and feel normal. Chemo is no easy issue to deal with but if it can heal us it's worth it!! Do stay in touch and stay positive - it won't last forever!
    take care
    -Jenny
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member

Thank you

late welcome Sicilia
    Missed your first post, sorry, but ur sisters here did not, and not surprised. This is a wonderful group of people who know and commiserate with everything you are going through.
    Good to know your first treatment was "not bad", and that is a good thing, because the first is usally the worst. So, take care and post when you can
    Cat