Help Stomach Issues

carkris
carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have finished my 3rd treatment of AC. all along I have had no desire to eat and have lost weight. I didnt worry too much about it as I am overweight. Progressively 4 days after treatment I end up constipated and then next day diahrea for days. unfortunately I have problems "down there" that get inflamed causing extreme pain. So much so that i didnt eat or drink enough and ended up hospitalized for dehydration. My onc says the diahrea is unusual, someone I know who is on another regime for ovarian attributes it to the neulasta. Otherwise I have done well believe it or not. because of the hospitalization the 4th treatment is being postponed a week. however I still am havig issues, have started benefiber. I did have a culture sent but it was sent on antibiotics, as the hospital put me on them because my WBC was low. I gave them another one 4 days later. Anyway does anyone else deal with this? I am trapped to my home and tub. I am also now terrified about the taxol, which I will receive for 12 weeks. Tring to keep my spirits up but am discouraged.

Comments

• chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    CARKRIS
    Sorry to hear that your having so much trouble. I only had constipation with the AC. I'm on Taxol/Herceptin now and luckily have had no problems. Hugs, Diane
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Very sorry to hear of your
    Very sorry to hear of your difficulties. I have had probs. with meds causing stomach probs. myself, though not to the extent you mention. Forcing myself to eat fiber foods & drinking a small can of prune juice each morn. has helped.

Have you told your oncologist? The nurses at my onc. seem to have suggestions for just about every problem that comes along.

Hope that your situation improves. Hugs & prayers...
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Tux said:

Very sorry to hear of your
    Very sorry to hear of your difficulties. I have had probs. with meds causing stomach probs. myself, though not to the extent you mention. Forcing myself to eat fiber foods & drinking a small can of prune juice each morn. has helped.

Have you told your oncologist? The nurses at my onc. seem to have suggestions for just about every problem that comes along.

Hope that your situation improves. Hugs & prayers...

I have talked to my onc, the
    I have talked to my onc, the NP, a GI doc(not too helpful) the most help was the dietician at the hospital. Has anyone heard of this with neulasta? thanks for the good wishes.
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    carkris said:

I have talked to my onc, the
    I have talked to my onc, the NP, a GI doc(not too helpful) the most help was the dietician at the hospital. Has anyone heard of this with neulasta? thanks for the good wishes.

I checked neulast out on the web...
    Hi Carkris,

I went to their official site and it says it helps to keep the white blood cells up to fight infection when someone is on a strong chemo regime. You might want to do some surfing on the topic to see what the SEs are. Sounds good but I was reading their own website.

Roseann
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    Carkris
    I too lost weight while I was on the A/C - but I was nauseated the whole time. I had to take neupogen shots - the same one that raises the white count during chemo. I had my chemo every two weeks so my hubby had to give me shots two days after the chemo for 7 days to make sure my white count stayed up. The neupogen made me achey but no other problems. After A/C I had taxol and it was easier. No stomach issues with it - just bone pain and my nails turned strange - both made me tired but as my treatment was every two weeks I was tired the whole time - just when I started feeling a little better it was time to go again. Hang in there - talk to your Dr. I really think the taxol won't be as bad. Take care!
    -Jenny
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    I also have digestive
    I also have digestive trouble going on. It's weird, it's like a combination of diahrrea and constipation at the same time, if thats possible. Just little squirts at a time and I am sore, too, like a hemmoroid or something. I took a dose of imodium to see if that helps. Thats the only trouble I'm having.
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    carkris
    so sorry you are having this problem, it sucks in regular life, and has to be worse while going through the chemo. I did not have that problem, and strangely enough, most women gain weight during chemo instead of losing it (I know I did, and I am going to continue to use that as my excuse...).
    You probably don't have to worry about the Taxol though, it is completely different from the AC (I had 4 rounds of A/C, then 4 rounds of Taxol), and the main side effects are the bone and joint pain.
    Hope it gets better for you, and please try to keep your spirits up!
    Cat
  • mberg
    mberg Member Posts: 62
    stomach
    I am on taxotere/carboplatin/herceptin and have had LOTS of experience with stomach issues~ I will tell you what I did, ask your dr to see what they recommend, as always! I have chemo on weds. the weeks I get all 3 meds. I take a prescription medication called Cholestyramine twice a day mixed with lemon kool aid (it's the only thing that masks the flavor) the other weeks I take 1 a day. Then on the second day after chemo I take an immodium before bed. I usually get constipated for 3 days after then get diarrhea for 5 days after that, pleasant I know!!!I take up to 8 immodium per day depending on how bad the diarrhea is. I drink as much water as I can, or gatorade,etc. The cholestyramine is a colesterol drug that keeps you from absorbing fats in your food it makes things solid in your stomach i guess? I know my grandma (yes, my grandma) takes the same med for her diarrhea that she gets from having colon surgery last year. I try and limit foods that I know make me sick ie tomato based sauce etc. Good luck with you! I have 5 down and 1 chemo to go, so hopefully you can get your symptoms under control and feel better!!! monica