wig problem,need advice please.

Options
ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone,since I am new to wearing a wig.I need some advice please.What do yo wear under wig to secure it,to make sure it don,t come off.And when i tryed the wig liner it keeps bunching up.The wig looks pretty good but I need a way to make sure it don,t move or worse come off.Thanks for the input in advance.have a great day.(Pat).

Comments

• tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Hi Pat
    Get a stocking cap, they are readily available and make the wig stick to your head like it was born there. I got mine off ebay. It's like a hosiery stocking with an elasticated rim, It works great for total cue-ball baldies (like I was).. If not there is stuff you can get from fancy dress/Theatre suppliers, it's like a double sided (Skin friendly) tape that you stick the sides of the wig down with. Hope this helps...Also hope you didn't follow the advice of the experts and got something that matched your own hair...........I went totally outrageous! Long blonde wig, just like the hair I had always wanted... I looked like Kiss without the make-up..LOL

Hugs to you Hun Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

Hi Pat
    Get a stocking cap, they are readily available and make the wig stick to your head like it was born there. I got mine off ebay. It's like a hosiery stocking with an elasticated rim, It works great for total cue-ball baldies (like I was).. If not there is stuff you can get from fancy dress/Theatre suppliers, it's like a double sided (Skin friendly) tape that you stick the sides of the wig down with. Hope this helps...Also hope you didn't follow the advice of the experts and got something that matched your own hair...........I went totally outrageous! Long blonde wig, just like the hair I had always wanted... I looked like Kiss without the make-up..LOL

Hugs to you Hun Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tasha, you're such a hoot!
    When I went in for my wig-fitting (I guess that is what you call it), I did the same thing. I tried on blond, white, gray, black, and red. I ended up with a conservative dark brown. I looked like a "woman of the streets" with some of those wigs on and, with my mother with me, I thought I should think otherwise.

I did buy a "monk" wig to wear under hats. The best laugh I had was when I put it on and my daughter, whose back was to me at the time, screamed when turned around. I lost it. She, however, saw no humor in it.

After awhile, I chose to got topless and wear only scarves. It was so much more comfortable.

As for keeping it in place, well, I wish I thought about that a bit more. Whenever I scratched my head my "hair" would move and without a mirror my wig often sat half-cocked on top of my head. I'm sure that I was a sight to see LOL.

dmc
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    Options
    dmc_emmy said:

Tasha, you're such a hoot!
    When I went in for my wig-fitting (I guess that is what you call it), I did the same thing. I tried on blond, white, gray, black, and red. I ended up with a conservative dark brown. I looked like a "woman of the streets" with some of those wigs on and, with my mother with me, I thought I should think otherwise.

I did buy a "monk" wig to wear under hats. The best laugh I had was when I put it on and my daughter, whose back was to me at the time, screamed when turned around. I lost it. She, however, saw no humor in it.

After awhile, I chose to got topless and wear only scarves. It was so much more comfortable.

As for keeping it in place, well, I wish I thought about that a bit more. Whenever I scratched my head my "hair" would move and without a mirror my wig often sat half-cocked on top of my head. I'm sure that I was a sight to see LOL.

dmc

hey
    I dont wear anything under mine and it never moves....i was paranoid it would but seems to stay just fine.
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    wigs
    sorry Pat, I did get a wig, but it sat on a post in my room, never to be worn. But they did give me a little stocking to wear under it. I would send it to you, but I gave the wig and stocking to someone else who became one of our ranks this year. Tag was still attached.
    You might try as others said to get scarves or hats, they are much more comfortable, and look very cute.
    Good luck!
    Cat
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    cats_toy said:

wigs
    sorry Pat, I did get a wig, but it sat on a post in my room, never to be worn. But they did give me a little stocking to wear under it. I would send it to you, but I gave the wig and stocking to someone else who became one of our ranks this year. Tag was still attached.
    You might try as others said to get scarves or hats, they are much more comfortable, and look very cute.
    Good luck!
    Cat

Depending on where you
    Depending on where you bought it, some wig shops will fit them to your head ... they tighten them so they don't slip easily. They know that it will need to be stitched up when all your hair comes out ... and they don't charge extra for you to go back in so they can tighten it.
  • CoeBruno
    CoeBruno Member Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Help with wearing wigs...
    I started out with the head stockings, but found them to be itchy and hot. My cousin sent me a "Comfy Grip" from www.headcovers.com It costs $25 and is worth every penny! No itching, more comfortable, and I just love it!
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    CoeBruno said:

Help with wearing wigs...
    I started out with the head stockings, but found them to be itchy and hot. My cousin sent me a "Comfy Grip" from www.headcovers.com It costs $25 and is worth every penny! No itching, more comfortable, and I just love it!

Coebruno.
    Thank you for the info.i to tryed the wig stocking.And thought it was hot and uncomftorable.i will try this one your talking about.Thanks.(Pat).
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    ppurdin said:

Coebruno.
    Thank you for the info.i to tryed the wig stocking.And thought it was hot and uncomftorable.i will try this one your talking about.Thanks.(Pat).

Another thought
    There's always the 6 inch nail.. ouch! Jxxxxxxxx
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Have it fitted.
    Go back and have it properly fitted by someone experienced. Many years ago, I used to wear a lot of different wigs and hairpieces (in my 20's in the '70's just 'cause I was a crazy hairdresser). Almost all the full wigs (except the VERY expensive humane hair that were carefully ordered) had to have 'tucks' taken in them so that they would stay on no matter what I did with them on. Wigs can fit so that they stay on comfortably pretty much no matter with proper fitting. Good luck finding someone who knows what they are doing.

Susan

PS - Can get some toupe glue/tape to hold it on if all else fails.