missing my dad

cats_toy
cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
this poem written for my dad by his grandchildren. So touching and so sweet. It has now been three years in August since his passing and he has been in my thoughts more than ever lately, so I wanted to share. The original poem was put on a pdf and there was a picture of him with each of his four grandchildren in each corner, but I cannot upload a pdf here.
Cat

For Papa

For your heart warming smile,
for your grunts while you hug,
for the "look" that you give us,
when we say something smug.
for the twinkle in your eyes,
for the smile just so..
that reminds us of our parents,
you nurtured to grow.
Our hearts ache in sadness,
for the great man we'll miss..
for where ever you are,
we each send you
a kiss.

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Awwwww....poetry and dads.
    Awwwww....poetry and dads. Two of my favorite things. I lost my Dad to The Beast back in the early 1970's, and I miss him to this day. He was a writer an editor, a musician, and the most generous, kind-hearted person I have ever, ever met. I feel calm when I think of him, even now. He taught life-lessons without even trying. He was the epitome of grace and dignity, a hero, both principled and humble.

I am happy that your children had a Papa connection; his legacy will be passed from generation to generation. It doesn't take away from the loss, or make you miss him less, of course, but it cements him in your lives forever....a blessing not to be underestimated.

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Awwwww....poetry and dads.
    Double Post again!!! GRRRRRRRR LOL
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Cat that is so touching! I'm
    Cat that is so touching! I'm glad they and you have such warm and wonderful memories of your father. I'm sorry you're missing him so much now. It is a sweet sadness, those memories aren't they? I've found I've been missing my grandmother alot lately. She was always such a comfort.... and fun too. Thank you for sharing.

hugs
    jan
  • dbs1673
    dbs1673 Member Posts: 203
    missing
    I lost my Dad in August 2000. My entire family clan had been on a shore vacation the week before. The next week, he and God picked a hot summer morning to call him home even before he woke. Shocking yes, but wouldn't we all love to to raise in the morning like that...no pain, no aweful disease and and keeping your dignity (my father's worst fear was to be in a care facility with no dignity left). He sought comfort from me when my mother had breast cancer. Funny how I have received comfort from him with my beast even though he isn't physically here. Love is like the wind..you don't have to see it to feel it.

dawn
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Cat's Dad...
    I know how much you miss your beloved Dad, Cat. I can feel it through the board... Quite obviously to all of us - he was a very special man.

Thanks for sharing this beautiful poem, lovingly written by his grandchildren.

He may not be with you physically, yet his spirit lives within your hearts and memories.

Kind regards, Susan
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670

Cat's Dad...
    I know how much you miss your beloved Dad, Cat. I can feel it through the board... Quite obviously to all of us - he was a very special man.

Thanks for sharing this beautiful poem, lovingly written by his grandchildren.

He may not be with you physically, yet his spirit lives within your hearts and memories.

Kind regards, Susan

Cat
    I lost my sister three years ago this past february and wish she was here to help me right now. Im sorry you are missing your dad. I miss my sister alot too.

laura
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Thanks for
    sharing something so intimate with us,Cat.
    Your dad sounds like he was very special as is his daughter.
    Love,
    Patty
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Poems
    are a beautiful way of expressing feelings. Especially when heartache is involved. When my sister passed away at 37 almost three years ago, i wrote alot and others did too. My thoughts and heart is with you. Somedays it seems like the pain will never stop when i think of the loss of my sister. Im sorry you are feeling sad/

take care
    laura
  • Sicilia929
    Sicilia929 Member Posts: 8
    Father
    I relate so much. Lost my father 11/6/04 to prostate cancer. He was a Julliard trained concert pianist, and like chenheart, my dad was the kindest person I have ever known. I miss him with every breath I take. I lost my mom 6/11/01 and I miss her with every beat of my heart, and right now, going through this BC and chemo...I would give years off my life to have her (to have BOTH) here with me now. We are lucky to have had them at all.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    beautiful
    Thank you for sharing your poem, may memories live on forever.
    jackie
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    rjjj said:

beautiful
    Thank you for sharing your poem, may memories live on forever.
    jackie

Thank you for sharing
    I cannot relate, but one day I will. Your memories of your dad, well that's something special.
    dmc
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    I can certainly relate
    I lost my dad to the beast in 3 short months. It has been 24 yrs ago, but seems much shorter time. I still miss him so much. My heart is still broken. My only daughter was only 5 days old when he died. He never got to see her.

I think this time of year is depressing because everything is dieing back and nothing to look forward to except the long winter months. Although I love fall and all it's beauty I still get sad at times.

Love the poem
    Jadie<3
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Touching!
    Oh Cat, that is a wonderful poem to honor what obviously was a very loved man. I am sorry for your loss, but happy that you were blessed with such a wonderful dad!

Hugs,

RE
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    thank you all for the kind words
    Yes it seems as if a lot of us have lost someone, and it never gets easy, but expressing it occasionally really does help (even though it still brings tears to my eyes to read the poem). I feel for all of you who have experienced a loss, sister, brother, parent, friend. We do seem to get stronger as we go through our bc journey, but I am glad my dad at least did not have to see me or my mom go through our treatment, I know it would have been harder on him because he would have felt unable to fix it (as so many say about their husbands). Thank you all for letting me express, again, my sorrow and love.
    =^..^=
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    missing your Dad.
    I know what you mean.my Dad and Mom died of Cancer,And I miss them very much.i often think of them two.Their is a missing link to my heart for both of them.Someone ask what it felt like to lose a parent.I said it felt like someone reached in and pulled out a piece of my heart and never put it back.I think going through Cancer makes me miss them more.Take care.God Bless.(Pat).