expanders

ruthielaine
ruthielaine Member Posts: 59
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone experienced alot of discomfort with the expanders - I had bilateral almost 2 weeks ago and these expanders feel like a tight rubber band around my chest pulling tighter and tigher. Do you think this is normal?

Comments

• mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Ruthie
    I had expanders placed in may and had to have 1 removed due to a nonhealing wound but the left side did feel tight. Maybe they put too much fluid in them initially cuz I know they did the first fill for me during surgery and they felt pretty tight. I guess if it continues I would call the surgeon and see what he thinks, but I remember they were pretty tight for me.

Hang in there
    Linda T
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi Ruthie
    I had expanders placed in may and had to have 1 removed due to a nonhealing wound but the left side did feel tight. Maybe they put too much fluid in them initially cuz I know they did the first fill for me during surgery and they felt pretty tight. I guess if it continues I would call the surgeon and see what he thinks, but I remember they were pretty tight for me.

Hang in there
    Linda T

Ruthie
    Ruthie,
    I had expanders put in in February and there may be some discomfort in the process. Each fill is different. My doctor only fills 60 cc's at the most each time. I will be having my expanders taken out on 11/10 and permanent ones put in--this is a day surgery--which I think should be an overnight stay just in case of complications. I might decide to stay at a hotel close to the hospital the day of the surgery just in case god for bid there is a complication.

I would hate to make a 4 hour drive back home and then have complications. It is worth the extra money to stay in a hotel very close to the hospital and then go home in the morning if everything is good.

Hugs,
    Margo
  • marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    I am 1 month post bilateral
    I am 1 month post bilateral mastectomy with Latissimus flap reconstruction and tightness with expanders have been a big problem. One nurse told me it might stay until implants are put in 4-5 mos and another nurse told me it was part of the healing from surgery and should get better in time. Do you still have drains? It did help after my drains were removed 2 1/2 wks after surgery. One of my friends asked if docs recommend heat or ice for tightness and soreness but I never asked. Lying flat on my back is what relieves it the most and Tylenol.
    Hope it gets better for you. Marilyn
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    I have an expander in 1
    I have an expander in 1 breast, and yes it is very uncomfortable and hard. So what you are felling is normal. It may get a little better, but as long as the expander is in, you will have that sensation. It is a foreign object in your body, plus it is stretching your skin.