PAIN

mbalder
mbalder Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I GOT MY 1ST CHEMO THURS. & MY SHOT YESTERDAY & TODAY MY LEFT ARM IS KILLING ME. THE CHEMO & SHOT BOTH HAD TO GO IN THIS ARM DUE TO LYMPS REMOVED ON RIGHT. THIS HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE? ANYTHING HELP TO RELIEVE THE PAIN?

Comments

• dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    moltrin/tylennol
    My dr had me take moltrin then switch off to tylennol at the two-hour mark. I did this around the clock and it helped the pain. The problem was that this med routine caused constipation, but dulcolax worked great to relieve it. It seems like a lot of meds on top of the drugs you are already receiving, but the combo did work. After a day, or so, nausea might be a problem so I would stop the drug routine after a 24-hour period. The pain shouldn't be an on-going issue beyond the first day or so.

Check with your doctor to make sure that this is okay. Others, those who have had more recent treatments, may know of betters ways to combat the pain without conflicting issues.

Good luck to you.
    dmc
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    I've been through it
    The leunasta shot is the worst of it all. I think. For me, the pain really started 36 hrs. after the shot and lasted 2 more days after that. Got mine on Tuesday. Today, I'm about good as new! It does pass, but it's hell going through the body aches. The injection sight in my arm didn't hurt, mainly my legs. I had alot of stomach cramping from the chemo all week. I took ibuprofen, benadryl every other dose, as my nurse said. And I had some percoset left from my port surgery I took. I dread getting another shot. Feel better.
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi mbalder
    I would be sure to mention the left arm pain to the oncologist on monday. I know that certain chemos are hard on the veins which is why they sometimes place a port depending on what they are giving you...especially if you have only 1 arm to access. The neulasta never bothered me. I guess I would try the ibuprofen but be sure to call your doctor in the am.

Hugs
    Linda T
  • mbalder
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi mbalder
    I would be sure to mention the left arm pain to the oncologist on monday. I know that certain chemos are hard on the veins which is why they sometimes place a port depending on what they are giving you...especially if you have only 1 arm to access. The neulasta never bothered me. I guess I would try the ibuprofen but be sure to call your doctor in the am.

Hugs
    Linda T

thanks
    thanks to all for your help! I'll call mon.
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    mbalder said:

thanks
    thanks to all for your help! I'll call mon.

mbalder
    If you are having pain from the Neulasta shot ask your oncologist if Claritin will help with the pain.. That is what my oncologist recommended.

Hugs,
    Margo
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

mbalder
    If you are having pain from the Neulasta shot ask your oncologist if Claritin will help with the pain.. That is what my oncologist recommended.

Hugs,
    Margo

MBalder .... I give myself the Neulasta shot
    Try your belly or upper thigh next time ... Neulasta will build up your white blood cells during chemo, so we need it .. However, take preventive measure like Claritin or Advil....

May I ask .. what type of chemo treatments you're taken ?

VickiSam
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Hi mbalder,
    welcome!
  • mbalder
    VickiSam said:

MBalder .... I give myself the Neulasta shot
    Try your belly or upper thigh next time ... Neulasta will build up your white blood cells during chemo, so we need it .. However, take preventive measure like Claritin or Advil....

May I ask .. what type of chemo treatments you're taken ?

VickiSam

I AM ON A/C RIGHT NOW 4
    I AM ON A/C RIGHT NOW 4 ROUNDS THEN TAXOL
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    Can you get the shot in your
    thigh or tummy? I had neupogen rather than neulasta (spelled?) - I think it's a generic for it. Anyway, my hubby had to give me a shot for 7 days after my chemo (with A/C) and it didn't bother me much in my thigh - I switched each leg every other day. Or try your tummy? I too had my chemo in the left arm because of my unilateral mastectomy on the right with lymph nodes removed too. They didn't put a port in because I guess I had good veins, that part did hurt as they used my hand many times rather than my arm. It did get easier. I didn't need the shots when I started my second round of chemo which was taxol. Just don't be shy about talking with your Dr. Let him know how you are feeling - sometimes you have to tell them more than once! Take care and know it won't last forever
    -Jenny
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Did you have a port put in?
    Did you have a port put in? I had a port put in my chest for chemo.