doxil is scareing me

Lauracec
Lauracec Member Posts: 101
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
everything I am reading on here is just scary about the doxil and sounds very painful and it seems like everyone I read about it didn't work. is that true ? any good stories about it? Laura

Comments

• green50
    green50 Member Posts: 312
    Doxil
    I used it and it didnt help me much, but I dont remember and bad side effects. As all chemos I was just a little tired. I am ovarian stage 3. HOpe it works for you.
    Prayers and Hugs
    Sandy
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Positive Note ♪
    Dear Laura, I was on Doxil in 2005 and it worked for me, in fact was the first drug that gave me a 3 month chemo break. For the side affects just follow the instructions on heat and wearing things that rub. Also, go to the store and get yourself epsom salts and original Eucerin creme for your hands n feet. Or to the pet store and get instant ocean, Yes Pet Store :-) Eat ice during infusion and use cold backs on your hands and feet.

Doxil takes a couple treatments so dont' worry it is isn't working right away. Just like many of the drugs, some work for some of us and not for others. The positive note on Doxil is for some reason most women lose weight. Other than hands and feet I felt pretty good too.

Hugs N Prayers Bonnie
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR said:

Positive Note ♪
    Dear Laura, I was on Doxil in 2005 and it worked for me, in fact was the first drug that gave me a 3 month chemo break. For the side affects just follow the instructions on heat and wearing things that rub. Also, go to the store and get yourself epsom salts and original Eucerin creme for your hands n feet. Or to the pet store and get instant ocean, Yes Pet Store :-) Eat ice during infusion and use cold backs on your hands and feet.

Doxil takes a couple treatments so dont' worry it is isn't working right away. Just like many of the drugs, some work for some of us and not for others. The positive note on Doxil is for some reason most women lose weight. Other than hands and feet I felt pretty good too.

Hugs N Prayers Bonnie

A list of things to help
    To help control HFS after administration, follow these guidelines for at least 1 day before and 3 to 5 days after each treatment: I actually followed this for a week and it made a world of difference.

Managing and Preventing Hand-Foot Syndrome

Things to Avoid:

Avoid repetitive or friction-causing activities (e.g., avoid rough towels, sexual activity, sweeping, or typing)

Avoid heat, including hot water or steam, on your skin (e.g., take cool, short showers or baths; avoid washing dishes)

Avoid the drying out of the skin on your hands and feet by using plain, mild skin lotions or creams for itching that do not contain irritants such as perfumes

Try not to put pressure on your skin (e.g., don’t kneel for long periods, sit on hard surfaces or lean on your elbows)

Avoid using adhesive bandages

Don’t chop hard foods such as raw vegetables

Things to do:

Wear comfortable, well-ventilated, low-heeled shoes or slippers (great advice)

Wear sunblock (SPF 15 or higher) every day on all exposed skin; avoid using sunblock that contains irritants such as perfumes

Stay in cool places and out of direct sunlight

Use mild soaps and pat skin dry after bathing; don’t rub

Check hands and feet, between fingers and toes in particular, for signs of irritations
    Apply gel ice packs to your hands and feet or soak them in cold-tepid water when possible
    Wear loose clothing

Drink plenty of cool or room temperature liquids; suck on ice chips or sip cool beverages as often as possible

Hope this helps :-)
  • Lauracec
    BonnieR said:

A list of things to help
    To help control HFS after administration, follow these guidelines for at least 1 day before and 3 to 5 days after each treatment: I actually followed this for a week and it made a world of difference.

Managing and Preventing Hand-Foot Syndrome

Things to Avoid:

Avoid repetitive or friction-causing activities (e.g., avoid rough towels, sexual activity, sweeping, or typing)

Avoid heat, including hot water or steam, on your skin (e.g., take cool, short showers or baths; avoid washing dishes)

Avoid the drying out of the skin on your hands and feet by using plain, mild skin lotions or creams for itching that do not contain irritants such as perfumes

Try not to put pressure on your skin (e.g., don’t kneel for long periods, sit on hard surfaces or lean on your elbows)

Avoid using adhesive bandages

Don’t chop hard foods such as raw vegetables

Things to do:

Wear comfortable, well-ventilated, low-heeled shoes or slippers (great advice)

Wear sunblock (SPF 15 or higher) every day on all exposed skin; avoid using sunblock that contains irritants such as perfumes

Stay in cool places and out of direct sunlight

Use mild soaps and pat skin dry after bathing; don’t rub

Check hands and feet, between fingers and toes in particular, for signs of irritations
    Apply gel ice packs to your hands and feet or soak them in cold-tepid water when possible
    Wear loose clothing

Drink plenty of cool or room temperature liquids; suck on ice chips or sip cool beverages as often as possible

Hope this helps :-)

Bonnie, on the list of
    Bonnie, on the list of things to help does it get better after the 3 -5 days if I follow. like for instance. no sexual activity is that the whole 6 months i'm on it or just the 3-5 days. not that that is a big part of our life. ( it's been months) but we are only in our 40s and I was hoping it could be a part of life again. thankyou God bless you and this does help to see someone had a remission from it. Laura
  • BonnieR
    Lauracec said:

Bonnie, on the list of
    Bonnie, on the list of things to help does it get better after the 3 -5 days if I follow. like for instance. no sexual activity is that the whole 6 months i'm on it or just the 3-5 days. not that that is a big part of our life. ( it's been months) but we are only in our 40s and I was hoping it could be a part of life again. thankyou God bless you and this does help to see someone had a remission from it. Laura

3-5 days
    It is for only 3-5 days after infusion. But I discovered that to start the day before and go a full week is better. Doxil would be a drug I'd be willing to try again. :-) Hugs Bonnie
  • Lauracec
    BonnieR said:

3-5 days
    It is for only 3-5 days after infusion. But I discovered that to start the day before and go a full week is better. Doxil would be a drug I'd be willing to try again. :-) Hugs Bonnie

thankyou so much
    what a relief. I think I will just relax now and not worry about it. like I should have in the begining. Hugs and prayers Laura
  • ladyjogger31
    ladyjogger31 Member Posts: 289
    Doxil
    Hi Laura, Bonnie has given you the best adivse. I listened to her and I was okay until my 5th round then wow was I hit hard under the arms. So becareful.
    hugs and Prayers, Terry
  • bgsvatek
    bgsvatek Member Posts: 4

Doxil
    Hi Laura, Bonnie has given you the best adivse. I listened to her and I was okay until my 5th round then wow was I hit hard under the arms. So becareful.
    hugs and Prayers, Terry

Doxil
    Hi all
    first time -
    Had hysterectomy in 2004 w/6 rounds of carboplatinum/taxol. was fine until a few mos ago, ca 125 increasing each checkup - had a scan and went to dr- found a lymph node in groin area that had increase. just had removed and today was my follow up. Will start Doxil next week. I'm a little nervous about the heat related info since I am naturally hot natured and always hot! I am in Houston - have the AC but not always helpful. thanks for all your info! My other question is - why is "typing" on of the things to avoid? i don't understand this. I asked the nurse and she said perhaps getting the plastic cover over the keypad which will cushion fingers. i'm concerned becuase i AM a phone rep - i spend my days on the phone and typing!
    can anyone tell what they went through w/the typing?
    God bless all of y'all!
    Blanca
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator