Am I a Cancer Patient? or A Cancer Survivor?

HillBillyNana
HillBillyNana Member Posts: 107
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
That sounds like a stupid question. But I was diagnosed in October of 2003. Wow! 6 years ago! I had surgery, chemo, radiation and finished the last of my chemo in July 2004. I took Tamoxifen for 5 years. April was my last month of the Tamoxifen. The oncologist wants me to take Femara for 5 years, but I am waiting till December to start that. So am I in treatment? I am a survivor!! but am I considered still in treatment? I have truly enjoyed this board. I wish I had joined it earlier.

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Well, it is rather
    Well, it is rather subjective...I considered myself a survivor when I woke up in the recovery room after the lumpectomy! Why? Well, before sugery I had a malignant tumor in my breast, and when I woke up, I didn't! Yes, I still had chemotherapy and radiation, so yes, I was in treatment, but I was a Survivor! As a matter of fact, I did my first Relay For Life 5 weeks post surgery, and I got to be in the Survivor's tent, and be treated like the survivor I was, along with the decades long survivors!

I know that officially it could be said that I was in treatment for the 5 years I took Arimidex...but when I am asked how long I have been a survivor, I say 7 years.

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Fran1947
    Fran1947 Member Posts: 72
    HillBilly Nana
    Here's what I think:

You are a strong, compassionate, caring woman who had cancer 6 years ago and is working hard not to get it again.

I agree that this is a great board - and I have been helped a lot by it - and I have noticed how caring you are.

Shalom,

Fran
  • HillBillyNana
    HillBillyNana Member Posts: 107
    Fran1947 said:

HillBilly Nana
    Here's what I think:

You are a strong, compassionate, caring woman who had cancer 6 years ago and is working hard not to get it again.

I agree that this is a great board - and I have been helped a lot by it - and I have noticed how caring you are.

Shalom,

Fran

I am a Survivor!!
    OK I get it. I am a survivor. 6 years. Thanks Fran, for saying I am strong, compassionate and caring. Those things are true or I probably wouldn't be here. I feel so good all the time. Getting better all the time. And I feel FOR those on here who are just starting the trip. The advice here is "focus" and that is what I did. My family did too. We just got through that first 8 months. And little things started to mean so much to me. I love cooking in iron skillets. When I was taking chemo and radiation, I could not pick up the skillet. My husband did it for me. After the chemo and my strength started coming back, I passed a milestone when I could pick up that skillet with cornbread in it and put it in the oven. My legs are getting stronger every day. I can almost get up from a squat now!! And hair? my hair is so thick and curly that I have to flat iron it. And I get haircuts every 2 or 3 months. I am saying all that so that the new ones here will know that it won't always be the way it is the day after surgery, or the day ofter chemo. It gets better. Because we are all strong, compassionate, and caring women. And my husband is the best. He nursed his first wife through 4 years of ovarian cancer, surgery, chemo. Then he nursed me through my breast cancer. Then 3 years later he suffered through prostate cancer (surgery). I am going to get a sign for our front door: "DON'T MESS WITH US! WE ARE TOUGH!"
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003

I am a Survivor!!
    OK I get it. I am a survivor. 6 years. Thanks Fran, for saying I am strong, compassionate and caring. Those things are true or I probably wouldn't be here. I feel so good all the time. Getting better all the time. And I feel FOR those on here who are just starting the trip. The advice here is "focus" and that is what I did. My family did too. We just got through that first 8 months. And little things started to mean so much to me. I love cooking in iron skillets. When I was taking chemo and radiation, I could not pick up the skillet. My husband did it for me. After the chemo and my strength started coming back, I passed a milestone when I could pick up that skillet with cornbread in it and put it in the oven. My legs are getting stronger every day. I can almost get up from a squat now!! And hair? my hair is so thick and curly that I have to flat iron it. And I get haircuts every 2 or 3 months. I am saying all that so that the new ones here will know that it won't always be the way it is the day after surgery, or the day ofter chemo. It gets better. Because we are all strong, compassionate, and caring women. And my husband is the best. He nursed his first wife through 4 years of ovarian cancer, surgery, chemo. Then he nursed me through my breast cancer. Then 3 years later he suffered through prostate cancer (surgery). I am going to get a sign for our front door: "DON'T MESS WITH US! WE ARE TOUGH!"

You are a survivor. You
    You are a survivor. You have been through so much and have such a great attitude. I love this site also, such good friends, wish we could all get together and meet!
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    You are a great example of a survivor!
    I wished I had found this site sooner as well - I had my surgery in April and just visited here a few weeks ago - in that short time I've felt so much better - just soaking up all the caring and kindness here - I agree, it would be great to meet all of you! I think we are all survirors - if we are still in treatment or 6+ years out - we are all just on a different place along this journey - it's great to have connected with such great, caring, positive people. It takes alot to fight this and surgery, chemo, radiation and drugs is a huge process - not an easy undertaking! Your new drug in December will just be another step along the way! Take care
    -Jenny
  • always
    always Member Posts: 256
    survivor!
    Webster defines survivor as to live on! It does not set a timeframe. I decided I was a survivor when I heard the results of the biopsy. I survived that minute. And in the last few weeks I have survived over and over again. I have moments...but I survive. That is what I have fallen in love with on this discussion board. It is okay to have moments...concerns..aches..fears. But the warriors with more distance reach out to remind us we are can and are doing this. I don't know anyone on here..but want to claim everyone of them as my new found friends and family. The courage is inspiring.