Surgery on Monday!

cindycflynn
cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I go in for my lumpectomy on Monday. Hoping for clear margins and clean lymph nodes (the lymph nodes looked good on the ultrasound so I'm thinking positive)!

Next steps will be radiation and Hormone Therapy, with possible chemo based on what they find on Monday. I will meet with my medical oncologist after the surgery, so I don't know a lot of details yet.

This board has provided me with a LOT of great information and support in my short time here. I am grateful for all of you.

Wish me luck!

Comments

• elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Good luck to you! I hope for
    Good luck to you! I hope for the best possible results for you!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Best of luck on your
    Best of luck on your surgery. It will be fine and I'll be hoping for just radiation and hormone therapy. If by chance you have to do chemo, it's also doable, just a little longer treatment. Let us know how it goes!!
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    GOOD LUCK!
    If it helps at all, I had my lumpectomy in May.......I can honestly say, I had no problems at all from it.....I was scheduled for 1:00 pm, was awakened at 2:30 in the recovery room, given a coke and crackers, was asked on a scale of 1-10 what my pain level was, I said about a 5......was given pain meds via the IV.......15 minutes later I was asked again, I replied, about a 4....more pain meds given, as it needed to go to 3 or below before I was released......15 minutes later, I walked to a "step down" recovery, my husband and sister in law joined me and I was home on the couch by 4:15! I took my pain meds at home on a REGULAR basis, for two days. I never waited for the pain...better to prevent it than try and manage it once it gets hold of you. After two days I was basically pain free....that's not to say I wasn't sore, (I was but very tolerable) especially the incision from the lymphnode removal and that stayed sensitive for about a month, not painful, just sensitive. I had no sutures, etc. I was "glued." Able to shower two days later, and no bandage required afterwards.

We are all different in our reactions and side effects but I hope and pray it all goes smoothly for you.
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Cindy
    My best wishes to you on Monday that you have a successful surgery with clear margins! It's great you are going in with a good positive attitude! Will pray for you & update us when you can!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • BunnyJane
    BunnyJane Member Posts: 213
    MAJW said:

GOOD LUCK!
    If it helps at all, I had my lumpectomy in May.......I can honestly say, I had no problems at all from it.....I was scheduled for 1:00 pm, was awakened at 2:30 in the recovery room, given a coke and crackers, was asked on a scale of 1-10 what my pain level was, I said about a 5......was given pain meds via the IV.......15 minutes later I was asked again, I replied, about a 4....more pain meds given, as it needed to go to 3 or below before I was released......15 minutes later, I walked to a "step down" recovery, my husband and sister in law joined me and I was home on the couch by 4:15! I took my pain meds at home on a REGULAR basis, for two days. I never waited for the pain...better to prevent it than try and manage it once it gets hold of you. After two days I was basically pain free....that's not to say I wasn't sore, (I was but very tolerable) especially the incision from the lymphnode removal and that stayed sensitive for about a month, not painful, just sensitive. I had no sutures, etc. I was "glued." Able to shower two days later, and no bandage required afterwards.

We are all different in our reactions and side effects but I hope and pray it all goes smoothly for you.

Sending good luck~

I had a lumpectomy in June. Like MAJW indicated, you are not in the operating room very long. I was in the operating room at 2:45 and dressed and ready (?) to leave the hospital by 5:30. I took one pain pill before I left the hospital and a few Tylenol the day after. Overall, it can be a pretty painless procedure, but everyone is different and may have different experiences.

I hope that the lumpectomy is easy for you. Jane
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Had lumpectomy in July.
    Had lumpectomy in July. Clean margins & no lymph node involvement. I went in the operating room at 1 p.m. & was home by 3:30 or 4 p.m.! (Hospital is 5 min. away) Only needed 3 pain pills & there was remarkably little pain. I hope that yours is as easy. But if it is not, just remember that the doctors & nurses are there to help you--ask any questions you need to.
    Take it easy when you get home--you deserve it. Let us know how everything goes.

I will be thinking of you on Mon. Hugs & prayers...
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    Good luck on Monday!!
    Hi Cindy,
    Rest up this weekend and do something fun! Hope everything goes well on Monday - it'll be nice to get that over with! I'll keep you in my prayers - let us know how you're doing when you can! Take care
    -Jenny