not new to the boards, just new here, asking for a friend.

daydreamer110761
daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Good morning ladies. I'm not new to the boards, have been hanging around at the colorectal site, just finished chemo in May.

I have a friend who was dx'd last month with bc. She had her lumpectomy 2 days ago, it took longer than they expected, and they took lymph nodes from under the armpits and neck, said they found more than they had expected. As of last nite, they had not staged her yet, but told her that in addition to radiation they were going to add chemo. She was still a bit out of it and doesn't remember if they told her what or how long, but she was asking me about the chemo since I am the only one she knows who has had it.

As I know the cocktails are very different, and are different for each person as well, I told her I would ask here (she has yet to log on here like I told her to). I was a poster child for chemo, experienced a bit of everything but nothing so severe that I couldn't take it, and I completed all 12 treatments. All that is left now 4½ months out is neuropathy to the fingers and feet, and occasional leg cramps (although the weather is getting colder and so are my hands and feet).

What types of side effects do you all feel? I also have figured out that no matter what they use, seems like hairloss is inevitable (I experienced minimal). She has long long hair, and I was going to suggest to her to have it cut now, and donate to locks of love before it starts to fall out, am i right to do that? Are there different lengths of time for treatments, or is it basically a 6 month deal as I had and then foloow up scans? How long are you usually stuck in the chair, and is a pouch for 46 hours involved? I just don't know what to tell her, or the best ways to help her prepare and to help her through. Looking for suggestions.

When I get more information, you can be sure I will be back to ask more questions. I can't seem to get her to come here, but this site helped me more than anything. No one understands more than the people who are experiencing it. It's hard to know you are ill and not look like anything is wrong, and even harder to explain it.

thank you ahead of time!
Daydreamer

Comments

• pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Good morning
    Good morning daydreamer, I just joined this site about a month ago, I don't have any friends yet but I'm sure many will respond for you. I'm stage IIIc BC and in chemo right now, it depends on her type of cancer and the severity of it for her "cocktail" mix. Mine is as my doctor puts it "the strongest" and I have been very fortunate on the nausea however I can't stay awake long and my bones and body ache like crazy. We each respond differently, I have heard of women only missing work to get there chemo and that's it, amazing, then others it wipes 'em out. I think a short hair cut with a donation to locks of love is a GREAT idea, I cut mine really short too. There is a slim slim slim chance she wont lose her hair so shaving it is not a good idea. When you cut it short you can see how it'll be when it grows back :) Your friend is lucky to have you and I know if you come here and ask you shall get answers. My thoughts and prayers are with the two of you, take care :)
    Kari
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Hi Daydreamer
    GM-What a good friend you are!I'm sure it will be of great comfort to her having you there to help her through this. She can sign on here and just read if you can convince her to do so. That alone can help alot. I'm no pro on Chemo as I just started Tuesday, but I would say it all depends on what Meds she will be on. Each person is different with the time frame also. I will only be having 2 treatments before surgery. The rest depends on surgery. My treatments are about 5 hours. Have never heard of a pouch. So far I have only experienced light-headedness, dry mouth, achiness, sore scalp, and of course the ever famous nausea. Then there's constipation,diarrhea,&fatigue. Hair loss is pretty common with chemo too. I had long hair and decided to chop it off ahead of time & did donate it to LocksofLove. Any suggestions you give her to make things easier on her I think would be valued. This site has helped me tremendously too. It has made my journey through BC a much lighter one. The women here are absolutely amazing! She can also call ACS and they will send her brochures and recommend different resources of help to her. Hope this helps! Feel free to come back anytime. Someone is always here to help!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Hi, Daydreamer.
    Your friend is very fortunate to have you and best of all you know how helpful these boards are. I would suggest that you encourage her, once she's ready, to log on and just read if nothing else. I have completed 3 of my 4 chemo treatments. Yes, I think the majority of the chemo drugs used to treat bc do have the side effect of hair loss. I am one of the lucky ones and have not experienced a lot of side effects. My main one is tiredness and some bone pain after the Nuelasta shot. That is a shot given the day after chemo to help in increasing the white blood count. I did lose my hair about 14 days after my first treatment. That was one of the hardest things for me. But, it's only temporary and I want to beat this beast, so it's well worth it. Your friend's treatment will depend on her final pathology and there are many women with various dx's that will be able to provide their experiences. This is a great site with wonderful members that are very caring, supportive and helpful in getting through all the treatments. Good luck.
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Hi Daydreamer -
    You are a true friend, and when she's ready we'll be here for her. I finished chemo back in March and then had 36 radiation treatments due to the results of a test called the Oncotype DX test. Its a fantastic test but costs a lot and a lot of insurance companies do not cover it. If they don't the lab told me they would pick up the tab for the test and do it anyway. It gives a recurrence score for the cancer. Mine was high, so they treated me aggressively. This might not be the case for your friend. My hair started to fall out within 3 weeks of treatment (taxotere/carboplaten) and has grown back enough now that nobody stares at me - ha ha. I too have some neuropathy but just in my toes. No matter what her stage is, she will be in some sort of treatment, mine was only stage 1, but I had 6 rounds of chemo and 36 rads. Some of the ladies here have more and some have less, but reading all the posts there are so many cocktails that hardly any of us get the same treatment. Please convince her to come here, these ladies are fantastic and we will welcome her (and you) with our big virtual hugs!
    Pat
  • stevie178
    stevie178 Member Posts: 31
    Friends
    Daydreamer , In here you will find more then friends I think .....you will find a very large family that is unlike any other your use to that spans the globe and knows no boundaries. I will be here a lot over the next few weeks/months and however long after that to see this through for not only my wife but to share what I learn with others and try to give back the peace of mind that I am getting right now. Please feel free to contact me anytime and I will get back to you promptly. Take care and since you have given a shoulder to lean on I will offer you mine .

Best Wishes

Steve & T
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Everybody seems to have a
    Everybody seems to have a different plan based on their condition. I had 12 weeks of chemo (4 cycles one every three weeks) before surgery and 12 weeks (4 cycles one every three weeks) after surgery. The first 4 cycles were A/C and the second 4 cycles were Taxotere. Then 6 weeks of radiation, every weekday. I was a stage 3a. Large tumors with lymph node involvement.

I have not heard of a pouch for 46 hours in breast cancer. I have not heard of anyone keeping their hair either. But there is always a first time. Telling her about Locks of Love was a good thing. It's still up to her what ever she does.

I got pretty sick on chemo but I know plenty here on the boards didn't. If she doesn't have anyone at home to help her, I'd suggest frozen dinners so she can eat when she feels like it with little work.

Good luck
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
    Marcia527 said:

Everybody seems to have a
    Everybody seems to have a different plan based on their condition. I had 12 weeks of chemo (4 cycles one every three weeks) before surgery and 12 weeks (4 cycles one every three weeks) after surgery. The first 4 cycles were A/C and the second 4 cycles were Taxotere. Then 6 weeks of radiation, every weekday. I was a stage 3a. Large tumors with lymph node involvement.

I have not heard of a pouch for 46 hours in breast cancer. I have not heard of anyone keeping their hair either. But there is always a first time. Telling her about Locks of Love was a good thing. It's still up to her what ever she does.

I got pretty sick on chemo but I know plenty here on the boards didn't. If she doesn't have anyone at home to help her, I'd suggest frozen dinners so she can eat when she feels like it with little work.

Good luck

Thank you everyone
    Who answered me, and you can be sure that I will be here asking more questions as soon as she gets a pathology result back, and an idea of what is to happen.

I just didn't want to seem rude if I suggested the Locks of Love, she has beautiful long hair, and I'd hate to see it go to waste. Everything I have read so far leads to hair loss, when associated with bc treatment.

I have to say that reading everything here, and the different cocktails - wow! I learned so much with my own, but the names of everything here is different. Although the one thing in common is anything with a "platin" in it - what a ride that one is! (I had to do a steroid shot, then sit for 4 hours hooked up for oxaliplatin and something else, then wear a pouch for 46 hours every other week). So, then, if you don't have to "wear" your chemo for 46 hours, does everyone still need a port?

well, just got a mini phone update - they didn't get it all and will be doing more surgery, there is lymphnode involvement, she is meeting with an oncologist in a week, and I assume she would be starting chemo and/or rads within 3 weeks. as of this moment she doesn't feel much like talking.

I also can't take much credit for being a great friend. She is my fiance's ex wife. However, I like her, and I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I have offered to cook meals, help decifer what the doc is telling her, drive and sit with her during chemo if she needed company, etc. All I have to go on is my own experience and what I would have wanted, then again we are all different.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member

Thank you everyone
    Who answered me, and you can be sure that I will be here asking more questions as soon as she gets a pathology result back, and an idea of what is to happen.

I just didn't want to seem rude if I suggested the Locks of Love, she has beautiful long hair, and I'd hate to see it go to waste. Everything I have read so far leads to hair loss, when associated with bc treatment.

I have to say that reading everything here, and the different cocktails - wow! I learned so much with my own, but the names of everything here is different. Although the one thing in common is anything with a "platin" in it - what a ride that one is! (I had to do a steroid shot, then sit for 4 hours hooked up for oxaliplatin and something else, then wear a pouch for 46 hours every other week). So, then, if you don't have to "wear" your chemo for 46 hours, does everyone still need a port?

well, just got a mini phone update - they didn't get it all and will be doing more surgery, there is lymphnode involvement, she is meeting with an oncologist in a week, and I assume she would be starting chemo and/or rads within 3 weeks. as of this moment she doesn't feel much like talking.

I also can't take much credit for being a great friend. She is my fiance's ex wife. However, I like her, and I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I have offered to cook meals, help decifer what the doc is telling her, drive and sit with her during chemo if she needed company, etc. All I have to go on is my own experience and what I would have wanted, then again we are all different.

Port
    To answer your question regarding a port, no, not everyone has one. I did not but I will only have 4 chemo treatments (1 left). Mine along with the bloodwork weekly was done through my veins. I've been told I have good veins. I'm glad because I really didn't want another surgery to put in the port and then one to take it out. Best of luck to this lady.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729

Thank you everyone

I did not have the port
    I did not have the port because I was told I had good veins and they left it up to me. However, plenty who post have said they love their ports. The first 4 cycles they could rotate the arm they used. The last 4 they were limited to one side. Not supposed to use the surgery side for needles or blood pressure if they remove lymph nodes.
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    padee6339 said:

Hi Daydreamer -
    You are a true friend, and when she's ready we'll be here for her. I finished chemo back in March and then had 36 radiation treatments due to the results of a test called the Oncotype DX test. Its a fantastic test but costs a lot and a lot of insurance companies do not cover it. If they don't the lab told me they would pick up the tab for the test and do it anyway. It gives a recurrence score for the cancer. Mine was high, so they treated me aggressively. This might not be the case for your friend. My hair started to fall out within 3 weeks of treatment (taxotere/carboplaten) and has grown back enough now that nobody stares at me - ha ha. I too have some neuropathy but just in my toes. No matter what her stage is, she will be in some sort of treatment, mine was only stage 1, but I had 6 rounds of chemo and 36 rads. Some of the ladies here have more and some have less, but reading all the posts there are so many cocktails that hardly any of us get the same treatment. Please convince her to come here, these ladies are fantastic and we will welcome her (and you) with our big virtual hugs!
    Pat

I was dx with breast cancer
    I was dx with breast cancer on 8/7/09. Im triple positive, Estrogen, Progestrone, and HER2 positive, also have mets to my liver. I just received my second chemo on my 40th birthday. My hair began to fall out before my 2nd dose. Right now Im taking Adriamycin and Cytoxen every 3 weeks, then Taxol every 3 weeks along with Herceptin that will be weekly for 52 weeks. My chemo lasts for about 3-4 hours this includes the IV nausea meds and steroids, then the following day I take shot of Neulasta to help build up my WBCs.
    Deb
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    Marcia527 said:

I did not have the port
    I did not have the port because I was told I had good veins and they left it up to me. However, plenty who post have said they love their ports. The first 4 cycles they could rotate the arm they used. The last 4 they were limited to one side. Not supposed to use the surgery side for needles or blood pressure if they remove lymph nodes.

I do have a port placed in
    I do have a port placed in my right upper chest, been having some problems with the disolveable stitches not disolving. It is uncomfortable but manageable, still have to be stuck with needle but nothing like an IV stick, plus EMLA cream helps to numb site.
    Deb
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Thank you everyone

http://csn.cancer.org/node/177000
    H and welcome,
    Vicki did a very good post 3 days ago http://csn.cancer.org/node/177000
    Excellent summary on what to expect.
    Best wishes to you and your friend