Neulasta Shot-help

mbalder
mbalder Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO OR TAKE TO HELP RELIEVE THE BONE PAIN FROM THID AWFUL SHOT?

Comments

• elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    what I did
    Take 2 aleve and one claritin the day before, day of and day after the shot. Continue to take the aleve as needed. I was also given a prescription for vicodin which I took when I was desperate!
    If the pain is in the hips try to walk a little. I paced around the house when it got bad. When resting try to get into a position wher the worst parts are not touching anything. I could not not stand anything touching my ankles and used a soft pillow to prop my feet up on.
    Sorry you are going through this.
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    pain from shot
    Hi,I am sorry I am no help.I will be getting this shot Thurs. a day after Chemo.I would call my Dr and see what you can take.I know after my first Chemo over 2 wks. ago i had bad joint pain for two days.I can,t imagine what the shot will feel like.Good luck.God bless you.(Pat).
  • mbalder
    elm3544 said:

what I did
    Take 2 aleve and one claritin the day before, day of and day after the shot. Continue to take the aleve as needed. I was also given a prescription for vicodin which I took when I was desperate!
    If the pain is in the hips try to walk a little. I paced around the house when it got bad. When resting try to get into a position wher the worst parts are not touching anything. I could not not stand anything touching my ankles and used a soft pillow to prop my feet up on.

would extra strength tyleno
    would extra strength tyleno help? dont have aleve or clariton. i spent so much on drugs already.
  • mbalder
    ppurdin said:

pain from shot
    Hi,I am sorry I am no help.I will be getting this shot Thurs. a day after Chemo.I would call my Dr and see what you can take.I know after my first Chemo over 2 wks. ago i had bad joint pain for two days.I can,t imagine what the shot will feel like.Good luck.God bless you.(Pat).

SO U DIDNT HAVE THE SHOT
    SO U DIDNT HAVE THE SHOT AFTER 1ST ONE? I HAVE TO HAVE IT 8X EVERY TIME AFTER CHEMO.
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    elm3544 said:

what I did

The Neulasta causes the bone
    The Neulasta causes the bone marrow to release histamines, this is what causes the pain.
    It is building the white cells back up. I was told to use claritin as an antihistimine. My husband asked if I could use something different and she said no, use the claritin and the aleve. I have no idea why. I don't know if tylenol would work or not. Maybe you can call and get some advice from the oncologist's office.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I had 8 cycles total and
    I had 8 cycles total and only had the Neulasta shot after one. Some people get more. I was usually real sick the next day when you have to go back to get it. The one day I did get it, I took a small waist basket with me to the cancer center in case. I carried it around with me. I don't remember what pain I had with it back in 2003/2004. I thought your blood count being low determines if you got it or not?
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    mbalder said:

SO U DIDNT HAVE THE SHOT
    SO U DIDNT HAVE THE SHOT AFTER 1ST ONE? I HAVE TO HAVE IT 8X EVERY TIME AFTER CHEMO.

I had 8 neulasta shots. one
    I had 8 neulasta shots. one after each treatment... My bone pain with the last 4 shots was worse than the first four some days it was so bad all i could do is lay in bed with heating packs on my legs and back.. Oncologist believes it was from a combination of neulasta and the Taxotere.. I would just use the vicoprofin (vicodin with motrin)... EX tylenol most likely won't help, but you can try it.. Talk with your oncologist.. Take some thing before you go for the shot to help...
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Nuelasta
    I had severe pain and muscle spasms 5 days after my FIRST injection.....I was prescribed Vicodon as nothing else touched it and it worked like a charm!....Also my Decadron (steriod) was inreased. With the remaining three injections, I did not have this severe of a reaction, just tolerable bone pain. I would call my oncologist and have them prescribe something if Advil or Tylenol isn't helping, you shouldn't have to suffer like this......
    Hope you feel better
    Nancy
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I took Tylenol every 6 hours
    I took Tylenol every 6 hours and managed to control it with that. You should check with your oncologist first though. I know several people also recommend claritin but when I asked by oncologist about it, she hadn't heard that. She didn't tell me not to take it but wasn't aware that it helped the pain. If it's any consolation, the pain only lasted a couple of days for me. Best of luck!
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi mbalder
    I did fine with the neulasta shots until I started taxol/herceptin then I felt achy. I tried 800mg ibuprofen 2 times per day and it only helped for about 6 hours. I was given a prescription for allegra which is an antihistamine to take the day after chemo x 7 days and I have minimal pain issues now.

I dont know if my pain was taxol related or neulasta related, but it may not hurt to ask your oncologist if it would help you. Some gals also try claritin which is over the counter.

It wont hurt to ask.

Hugs
    Linda t
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Claritin
    I took some last nite and so far so good--please hang in there ;)