First chemo

mbalder
mbalder Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I got my first chemo treatment today, it been about 6 hours and I already feel sick to my stomach and very tired. Have others felt this way? I thought it wouldnt start to kick in until next day. Any ticks you may have done to help you feel good?

Please help!

Comments

• tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    Hi Mbalder
    I felt ill about

Hi Mbalder
    I felt ill about 6 hours after treatment also, just take the anti-nausea meds, and drink lots of fluids. I am sorry that you have to go through this, but just take your time and rest. It will pass with time.
    tj
  • mbalder
    mbalder Member Posts: 31
    tjhay said:

Hi Mbalder
    I felt ill about

Hi Mbalder
    I felt ill about 6 hours after treatment also, just take the anti-nausea meds, and drink lots of fluids. I am sorry that you have to go through this, but just take your time and rest. It will pass with time.
    tj

hi
    Did you have a/c? R U done w/treatments?
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi mbalder
    I had a/c every 2 wks for 4 cycles, then started taxol/herceptin every 2 wks x 4 and will continue herceptin for about 1 year. AC is tough chemo. I usually felt ok the day of chemo but then I started feeling a little nauseaus the next night and by 2 days later I felt like I had morning sickness. I literally had to make myself eat about 1 time per hour and I kept track of how much liquid I drank so I could be sure I got at least 9 to 10 8 oz glasses of something throughout the day. The poor appetite and aversion to food last about 1 week but I still force fed myself. I also made myself walk 1 to 2 miles per day which helped the fatigue. Will you be on the a/c the entire time or will they switch you to something else midway thru?

You have to try to hang in there. I had an epiphany about 3 cycles into chemo. It occurred to me that I wasnt supposed to feel normal during chemo. You will have a new normal for a while and that is the way it is. Dont compare how you felt a year ago to how you feel now...you will feel tired but exercise will help...you may feel urpy but just like morning sickness its probably better to keep something on your stomach. Eat small and often and if it doesnt help speak to your oncologist and maybe they will give you a different antinausea med.

Hang in there and post often...we are all here to help you get thru this

Hugs to you
    Linda T
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Mbalder
    There are a few of us that just started our Chemo this week too. Laurissa,Natly,Pitt,not sure who else,but you can read our posts. I felt light-headed while doing the Chemo & for a while thereafter. Later in the afternoon I did feel nauseated so I took the med & it helped. Couldn't sleep, due to steroid. Yesterday wasn't so bad,had a Neulasta shot though. Today, I feel pretty lousy. I don't know that there is anything to make us "feel good" after Chemo??? All we can do is take our meds, drink lots of fluids and get all the rest we can. If you have any problems or find that your meds aren't working,call your Oncologist for something stronger. I too didn't think these things would happen so fast. As others have said-we are all different. Hope you're feeling better real soon!
    Take care
    Hugz,
    Cathy