First time chemers-how you feeling?

laurissa
laurissa Member Posts: 773
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
It's been a rough week for me since chemo on Monday. Tuesday and Wed. had stomach cramps and headache. Last night and today I had body aches just like the flu from the leunasta shot. Hope it gets better soon. Do these symptoms get worse with each treatment?

Comments

• tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    body aches
    Laurissa,
    My oncologist suggested that I take Claratin when I got the Neulasta shot for the pain. It works so I would ask your oncologist.

The other symptoms I don't know about but maybe if they slow down the drip it might help.

Margo
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Rough day
    Had chemo on Tuesday, couldnt sleep tuesday nite, felt good on Wed and got my neulasta shot. Thursday has been rough with nausea, constipation. I followed some of the advice here and it has helped. I'm also taking zofran for nausea, but am on 2 different kinds of antibiotics for nasty infection at the incision sights. I'm feeling better now, just slept in front of the tv all day today. I know there is the possibility of discomfort about 3 or 4 days after the shot. One day at a time, one minute at a time--we'll get thru this.
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    natly15 said:

Rough day
    Had chemo on Tuesday, couldnt sleep tuesday nite, felt good on Wed and got my neulasta shot. Thursday has been rough with nausea, constipation. I followed some of the advice here and it has helped. I'm also taking zofran for nausea, but am on 2 different kinds of antibiotics for nasty infection at the incision sights. I'm feeling better now, just slept in front of the tv all day today. I know there is the possibility of discomfort about 3 or 4 days after the shot. One day at a time, one minute at a time--we'll get thru this.

Laurissa/Natly
    Had my first Tuesday. Started getting dry mouth right away, minor sore throat. Couldn't sleep either that night. Read on here it was probably the steroid.
    Yesterday, started the cramping & nausea,then got the Neulasta shot. Last night I had a slight headache, but slept much better.
    Today-total different story! Have had a bad headache most of the day,my scalp is sore,having throbbing pain at the top of my feet. I feel achy all over! It's kickin' my butt! Waiting until a little later to take a pain pill. Never thought for a moment I would skate out of this without any side effects, but didn't think it would hit so fast! That's all we can do Natly-and yes, we will get through this! Let's just try to keep our spirits up & know that we are doing what we need to do to slay the beast! Hope you are both feeling better soon!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Cat64 said:

Laurissa/Natly
    Had my first Tuesday. Started getting dry mouth right away, minor sore throat. Couldn't sleep either that night. Read on here it was probably the steroid.
    Yesterday, started the cramping & nausea,then got the Neulasta shot. Last night I had a slight headache, but slept much better.
    Today-total different story! Have had a bad headache most of the day,my scalp is sore,having throbbing pain at the top of my feet. I feel achy all over! It's kickin' my butt! Waiting until a little later to take a pain pill. Never thought for a moment I would skate out of this without any side effects, but didn't think it would hit so fast! That's all we can do Natly-and yes, we will get through this! Let's just try to keep our spirits up & know that we are doing what we need to do to slay the beast! Hope you are both feeling better soon!
    Hugz,
    Cathy

Cathy
    We are all hanging in there. I feel nausea again. Perhaps I'll call the onc tomorrow and ask for more anti nausea meds. My stomach is bloated from the water probably, and I feel very tired. I need to take 2 antibiotics at midnite, so I've set the alarm just in case I dose before midnite.
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    natly15 said:

Cathy
    We are all hanging in there. I feel nausea again. Perhaps I'll call the onc tomorrow and ask for more anti nausea meds. My stomach is bloated from the water probably, and I feel very tired. I need to take 2 antibiotics at midnite, so I've set the alarm just in case I dose before midnite.

Nat
    Yes, most definetely call if you are still feeling nauseated. My Onc. gave me a sample pack of Anzemet, which is stronger just incase the other med(Compazine)didn't work. So far I haven't had to take the stronger one. Big difference between mgs. From 10to100! I'm tired too but ache so much it's hard to sleep. Don't much like the idea of all these pills, but gonna buck up & take a pain pill so I can sleep! Good idea on setting the alarm. Hope you feel better soon! Take Care
    Cathy
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    natly15 said:

Cathy

I was given Emend to take on
    I was given Emend to take on days 2 & 3 after chemo, Zofran and Compazine for breakthrough nausea. So far Ive only had to take the Emend, it works great.
    Deb
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    Deb1969 said:

I was given Emend to take on
    I was given Emend to take on days 2 & 3 after chemo, Zofran and Compazine for breakthrough nausea. So far Ive only had to take the Emend, it works great.
    Deb

One week post chemo
    I started last Thursday. Days 3-5 were the worst for me. I had to go in to the onc because I had a fever, mouth sores, etc. Today I feel great. I need naps during the day in order to keep up with the kids, but I feel okay. I'm going to the pool today to swim with my MASTERS group. I know I won't be able to keep up, but if I exercise for 30minutes, I will consider that a HUGE accomplishment.
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    Cat64 said:

Laurissa/Natly
    Hugz,
    Cathy

Bad headache
    Tell your onc about the headache. I went in to review my symptoms, and she feels the headache was caused by the Zofran (sp) anti-nausea drug they gave before the chemo. So she has changed the drugs I am to take at my next treatment. Just let you onc know the symptoms and they can figure out how to correct it. Best of luck! Pitt