First chemo

mbalder
mbalder Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I start my first round of chemo tomorrow I will have Adrimicin and cytoxen. Just wondering if anyone has done or took anything special to help them get through these treatments, would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks Marcia

Comments

• elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Marcia, read Vickisam's
    Marcia, read Vickisam's post.
    Did you get a prescription for anti-nausea pills? Don't be afraid to take pain meds. I was afraid to become dependant on them and stayed up all night many times in pain. My Dr told me it was OK to take up to 6 Vicodins per day and I was taking one. Good luck.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Welcome, Marcia
    Your AC chemo is something that many here have been through. I did AC plus T. Your doctor will probably give you several anti-nausea medications. I took Emend and Zofron and had Compazine in case of severe nausea (never needed it). You may also get the Nuelasta shot the day after your treatments. These help keep your white blood cell count up so that you do not become too weak or get neutropenic disease. You will also be prescribed steriods to take on the days before and after your treatments, again, to keep you from getting too weak. Your blood counts will be closely monitored so that everything is in order before each treatment. You'll get through it. Feel free to ask questions as they come to you. Good luck tomorrow. You probably won't feel a thing during treatment. I didn't.

Mimi
  • mbalder
    mimivac said:

Welcome, Marcia
    Your AC chemo is something that many here have been through. I did AC plus T. Your doctor will probably give you several anti-nausea medications. I took Emend and Zofron and had Compazine in case of severe nausea (never needed it). You may also get the Nuelasta shot the day after your treatments. These help keep your white blood cell count up so that you do not become too weak or get neutropenic disease. You will also be prescribed steriods to take on the days before and after your treatments, again, to keep you from getting too weak. Your blood counts will be closely monitored so that everything is in order before each treatment. You'll get through it. Feel free to ask questions as they come to you. Good luck tomorrow. You probably won't feel a thing during treatment. I didn't.

Mimi

Was your treatments every
    Was your treatments every other week? I have 8 rounds every other week. I do have a shot on Fri. but they said it was a booster shot, is that different than the nuelasta?
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    mbalder said:

Was your treatments every
    Was your treatments every other week? I have 8 rounds every other week. I do have a shot on Fri. but they said it was a booster shot, is that different than the nuelasta?

Treatments
    Mine were every three weeks. It sounds like you're having dose dense chemo. I think the booster is the Nuelasta. It boosts your white cell count.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Welcome, Marcia. I took
    Welcome, Marcia. I took taxotere and cytoxan followed by the Nuelasta shot the next day. I really have not had any side effects from the chemo with the exception of tiredness. I do experience bone pain on days 3-4 after the Nuelasta but I can control that with Tylenol. Good luck, you'll do just fine.
  • mbalder
    MyTurnNow said:

Welcome, Marcia. I took
    Welcome, Marcia. I took taxotere and cytoxan followed by the Nuelasta shot the next day. I really have not had any side effects from the chemo with the exception of tiredness. I do experience bone pain on days 3-4 after the Nuelasta but I can control that with Tylenol. Good luck, you'll do just fine.

does the taxotere work the
    does the taxotere work the same as the adrimyacin? Wonder how Onc. determine which to use? Was yours every other week? Did u have Taxol?
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    mbalder said:

does the taxotere work the
    does the taxotere work the same as the adrimyacin? Wonder how Onc. determine which to use? Was yours every other week? Did u have Taxol?

I think the taxotere is the
    I think the taxotere is the same family as taxol, but I'm not 100% sure about that. I take my treatments every 3 weeks.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Welcome
    Marcia!
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    MyTurnNow said:

I think the taxotere is the
    I think the taxotere is the same family as taxol, but I'm not 100% sure about that. I take my treatments every 3 weeks.

I asked my onc the same
    I asked my onc the same thing about Taxol and Taxotere, she said its the same thing she used the example of Advil and Ibuprofen, in the same family.
    Deb
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Welcome
    Marcia!

Just want to say good luck
    Just want to say good luck Marcia.

Sue :)
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Ritzy said:

Just want to say good luck
    Just want to say good luck Marcia.

Sue :)

Hi
    I want to say hi, welcome and wish you good luck with chemo!

Leeza