Post DaVinci

cottontop56
cottontop56 Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Good afternoon everyone, I underwent the removal of my prostate thru the use of the DaVinci Robot last Thursday, Oct. 1st. I was the 1st on the table at 7am and back in a room by about 1pm. Surgery went well according to my doctor. I was up walking by about 4 pm. Got to come home Friday, Oct. 2 about 4:30 pm. Haven't really noticed much pain, but quite a bit of "soreness" in the surgery site. Everyone has said before, this is just normal. Dr. gave me a "leg bag" and other than having to empty quite a bit(I'm told this is good.) Dr. doesn't like changing the bags. Risk of infection increases. I'm doing great. Beginning to sleep better and diet is ok. Was worried about "BM's", but Dr. had recommended stool softener's. They really work and as of last night that bridge has been crossed. I go back Thursday, Oct. 8th. Am hoping x-ray of urethra shows ok for catheter removal. I will get biopsy reports then of any further spread. Hoping for good news in this area. Dr. told my wife things looked good in this area after surgery, but needed report to know for sure which is normal. Have been up walking a lot and drinking like a camel headed out for a long trip. Luckily the fluid isn't backing up like a camel though. Appreciate all the pre-op comments, suggestions, and prayers from all of you.

Comments

• lewvino
    lewvino Member Posts: 1,010
    Good luck on your further
    Good luck on your further recovery! Sounds like your are coming along nicely. I had my Davince surgery back on Aug 12th. It was a good 5 weeks for me before I was pain free but every one is different.

Larry
  • NM
    NM Member Posts: 214
    Hi and Good Luck on Recovery
    My recovery was similar to yours (now 5 weeks post -op)My catheter was in for 6 days(foley) then removed. That was a happy day as I started to think of my cath like a ball and chain.

I took stool softeners until catheter was removed then was told if I needed them take them if not dont.

I also want to remind you to walk all you can as I believe this helps with healing.Dont overdue anything as my Doctor said if it hurts dont do it.The not lifting part has been the hardest on me as i am a very active person.

I hope you pathology report comes back with no positive margins(mine did) and my doctor also told my wife things looked good as yours did. I will pray for you as I have done for all patients with cancer and wish you the best and hope your recovery goes well.

Nick
  • cottontop56
    NM said:

Hi and Good Luck on Recovery
    My recovery was similar to yours (now 5 weeks post -op)My catheter was in for 6 days(foley) then removed. That was a happy day as I started to think of my cath like a ball and chain.

I took stool softeners until catheter was removed then was told if I needed them take them if not dont.

I also want to remind you to walk all you can as I believe this helps with healing.Dont overdue anything as my Doctor said if it hurts dont do it.The not lifting part has been the hardest on me as i am a very active person.

I hope you pathology report comes back with no positive margins(mine did) and my doctor also told my wife things looked good as yours did. I will pray for you as I have done for all patients with cancer and wish you the best and hope your recovery goes well.

Nick

Pst Op
    Thank both of you for your remarks. The hardest thing for me has been to not try and overdue it also. The 2nd hardest has been to not lift my 3 yr. old grandson(in picture). He and I bonded when he was a newborn and we are very close. He knows something is wrong but not sure quite what. It has been a long summer( 4 total surgeries in 3 months. Looking forward to catheter removal and getting on with my life just like ya'll. Have a great evening. John
  • lewvino

Pst Op
    Thank both of you for your remarks. The hardest thing for me has been to not try and overdue it also. The 2nd hardest has been to not lift my 3 yr. old grandson(in picture). He and I bonded when he was a newborn and we are very close. He knows something is wrong but not sure quite what. It has been a long summer( 4 total surgeries in 3 months. Looking forward to catheter removal and getting on with my life just like ya'll. Have a great evening. John

It is hard to not do the
    It is hard to not do the things that you are used to. I love to cut our grass but had to let my stepson take that over though I'm looking forward to next spring and being back on the mower. I visited my oldest son in NYC this past week and it was hard to not lift the suitcases, and then when there dog tried to set on my lap.....well you get the picture.
    Larry
  • wxman
    wxman Member Posts: 19
    lewvino said:

It is hard to not do the
    It is hard to not do the things that you are used to. I love to cut our grass but had to let my stepson take that over though I'm looking forward to next spring and being back on the mower. I visited my oldest son in NYC this past week and it was hard to not lift the suitcases, and then when there dog tried to set on my lap.....well you get the picture.
    Larry

I had my surgery on
    I had my surgery on September 3. I did my best to stay on an easily digestable diet for the 11 days that my catheter was in. I would not recommend eating any big meals which would be hard to digest during that time.
  • injuredbyDaVinci
    injuredbyDaVinci Member Posts: 35

Pst Op

injured during surgery
    Dear Cottontop,
    Scroll down to injured during surgery and read about all my good luck. I have had a cathether in me for almost 4 months. Hope you get feeling better real soon.
  • cottontop56

injured during surgery
    Dear Cottontop,
    Scroll down to injured during surgery and read about all my good luck. I have had a cathether in me for almost 4 months. Hope you get feeling better real soon.

Post DaVinci
    Hooray!!!!!! I got my catheter out today. Gleason went up a little from a 3 plus 3 to a 4 plus 3. Doc said the 4 indicated a little more aggression. The tumors were confined as best they can tell(it had not broken through yet, but was just sooooooo close). Surrounding tissue was clear/nerves were spared. Time to get on with life.
  • lewvino

Post DaVinci
    Hooray!!!!!! I got my catheter out today. Gleason went up a little from a 3 plus 3 to a 4 plus 3. Doc said the 4 indicated a little more aggression. The tumors were confined as best they can tell(it had not broken through yet, but was just sooooooo close). Surrounding tissue was clear/nerves were spared. Time to get on with life.

Glad to hear the cath came
    Glad to hear the cath came out! Keep us posted on your control of the urine. I had excellent results. Used 1 pad the first day and that has been it for me. I hope you have the same results.

Larry