4th A/C today - Taxol in 2 weeks.

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Last time I saw Dr. T (oncologist)2 weeks ago he wasn't real happy about the shrinkage amount over the previous 2 weeks but went ahead and ordered the 3rd A/C. Today, he was a bit happier but wanted to talk with the surgeon so he went ahead an ordered the 4th A/C. While I was getting it, his nurse came in and told me that the decision (as of now) is to start Taxol in 2 weeks. I already have an appt. with the surgeon in 3 weeks as he wanted to see how 'things' were progressing.

Any info about what to expect from Taxol, please. I know that it takes 5 hours to do and I will have education before it.

Comments

• jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    Taxol
    Hi Rague,
    I had 4 rounds of A/C, then 4 rounds of Taxol - I had mine dose-dense, every two weeks for 16 weeks instead of the 3 week program. The taxol did take a longer time - about 4 - 5 hours. They watch carefully for an allergic reaction. After those treatments I had bone and joint pain. My toes and fingers got tingley the more treatments I had. Also, my fingernails and toenails got what looked like bruise marks on them - I've been done for 6 weeks now and still have some tingley feeling in my fingertips and toes and my nails are growing out and have ridges on them and look a little funny. I got really sick with the A/C - nauseated and really tired - the taxol didn't cause nausea, but I was tired and achey for several days after. Hope this helps a little - it's good you're done with the A/C - I had my chemo after my surgery. What surgery are you planning? Take care and keep me posted.
    -Jenny
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    I was on AC and now on Taxol
    I was on AC and now on Taxol for 12 rounds and I just #6 today. I also am getting Herceptin, which you won't get. Only my first treatment with Taxol was about 5 hours or so and now I am there for 2 hour every week, but thats with the hercepitin. Taxol was much easier that the AC. Some joint pain, tired but all doable and better that the AC. Good luck
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Rague
    After A/C taxol is a cake walk!!! The infusion takes longer and you will get tired and get achy. My oncologist prescribed allegra for the joint pain; Some gals have received claritin. They dont know why it works but it does help. I was taking 800mg ibuprofen 2 times per day and only got relief for about 6 hours and then it was bothering my stomach.

Ask about the allegra or the claritin and see what your doc says... but you will find taxol much easier.

take care
    LInda t
  • lmmo
    lmmo Member Posts: 56
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi Rague
    After A/C taxol is a cake walk!!! The infusion takes longer and you will get tired and get achy. My oncologist prescribed allegra for the joint pain; Some gals have received claritin. They dont know why it works but it does help. I was taking 800mg ibuprofen 2 times per day and only got relief for about 6 hours and then it was bothering my stomach.

Ask about the allegra or the claritin and see what your doc says... but you will find taxol much easier.

take care
    LInda t

thanks for this info
    I also just completed my 4th A/C and will be getting Taxol. My onc wants me to have taxol every 3 weeks. My muga % dropped so he decreased the A/C by 25% this round. I appreciate the information.
    Lisa