Has anyone had to see a different oncologist in the middle of treatment?

HillBillyNana
HillBillyNana Member Posts: 107
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My original oncologist left the cancer center to go to hospice. So I had to see a different one the last couple of times. I felt sort of abandoned. Like I wanted him to take me all the way through this thing. The new doctor is putting me on a different drug than what the old one had talked about. He mentioned Arimidex. She is going to put me on Femara. I dont' think I really have a question. But it does make me wonder, Does she know everything about me? Why the difference in prescriptions?

Comments

• lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    I got the impression mine
    I got the impression mine wanted me to try Femara also, but I told him I preferred Arimidex.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Sorry to hear that
    It must be discouraging to have to change from someone that you've already established a relationship with.
    Don't be afraid to ask your doctor about the change. Make her explain her reasons until you're comfortable with it, or, since you have to change doctors anyway, maybe get a second opinion.
    Good luck, and stay strong!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I would share your honest
    I would share your honest feeling with the "new" doctor. I'm sure she wouldn't be offended and can understand your concerns. Best of luck.
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    I switched
    I had seen my 1st oncologist after my diagnosis testing..after surgery I told my surgeon that I wanted a new oncologist because the first one and I didn't seem to connect...He said no prob and now I will see a brand new one on the 13th when we will talk about when to start chemo and rads...I really hope I like this new Dr. otherwise I will switch again..so I guess I am not much help to you yet. sorry.
  • HillBillyNana
    HillBillyNana Member Posts: 107

I switched
    I had seen my 1st oncologist after my diagnosis testing..after surgery I told my surgeon that I wanted a new oncologist because the first one and I didn't seem to connect...He said no prob and now I will see a brand new one on the 13th when we will talk about when to start chemo and rads...I really hope I like this new Dr. otherwise I will switch again..so I guess I am not much help to you yet. sorry.

Thanks for the replies
    I am going to see the 'new' doctor and share my feelings with her. As a matter of fact, I am hoping to get my 'old' doctor back. As I said, he left the cancer center and went to the hospice part, but when I called to check on taking a flu shot, I heard his name in the options I could press. If he is back, I will ask to see him instead.
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member

Thanks for the replies
    I am going to see the 'new' doctor and share my feelings with her. As a matter of fact, I am hoping to get my 'old' doctor back. As I said, he left the cancer center and went to the hospice part, but when I called to check on taking a flu shot, I heard his name in the options I could press. If he is back, I will ask to see him instead.

Follow your instincts...
    Hi Nana,
    If you feel any discomfort, get a second opinion. Unless you are in an area where there are no good hospitals, all the docs are probably medically competant. Personality is what allows us to go to the doctor knowing we are safe. Mine is very loving and makes me feel that no matter what happens, she will be there to help me through it. For those of us with cancer, isn't that the most important quality. You deserve the best so don't settle for less.

Roseann