hair comming out.

ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was told by my Dr. that my hair would be out by my second chemo.So I knew it was comming.My next appointment is next Weds.When I combed my hair yesterday I seen some loose hairs.Today like hairs laying loose on my head.I would take my hand through it and bunches of hair was in my hand.I cryed some more.Went for a drive and cryed some more.I know I will be shaving it soon.I think it would be harder to have someone do it.I some how thought it would come out in big bunges.And it might yet.please let me know how some of you handles it.Thanks again for listning.I have had a lot of tears getting through this one.I know to some of you I have talked about this alot.But it has been one of the biggest heart breaks for me.(Pat).

Comments

• laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    I'm right behind you
    I just had my first chemo on Monday and mine will also be coming out soon. My hair was my asset in my appearance and without it, I'm going to look like a bowling ball! Very heartbreaking for me, too. I will get my hair cut short soon before it clumps out. My sister is figuring out a way to save my cut hair and attach it to a beany cap to wear inside hats! Hope that works out. She's a crafty one and has been a big help to me. I go to the ACS tomorrow morning for a wig. So I'll be ready when the inevitable happens. I've cried like a baby about it, but it's the way it is. We'll get thru it. I'm also feeling stomach-achy too from the chemo. Hope you're doing ok.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Pat, that was the hardest
    Pat, that was the hardest part of this journey to me too. Do you work? I ask because I noticed that my hair was beginning to come out in bunches in the middle of the week. I hoped that I could make it to Friday that week and then I went to my hairdresser and had her buzz it off. I'll be honest, I sat in her chair and cried through the entire process. When she was done, I put on the hat I had brought and she walked me to the door. We hugged and she started crying at that point too. She told me later it was the hardest thing she ever had to do. It was also the hardest thing I ever had to do. I tell you all this because I did my buzz cut on a Friday so I had the weekend to get used to it before going back to work on Monday. Good luck. You will get through this and try to remember it isn't going to be this way forever. Sending a big hug your way!!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Pat, that was the hardest part of this journey to me too. Do you work? I ask because I noticed that my hair was beginning to come out in bunches in the middle of the week. I hoped that I could make it to Friday that week and then I went to my hairdresser and had her buzz it off. I'll be honest, I sat in her chair and cried through the entire process. When she was done, I put on the hat I had brought and she walked me to the door. We hugged and she started crying at that point too. She told me later it was the hardest thing she ever had to do. It was also the hardest thing I ever had to do. I tell you all this because I did my buzz cut on a Friday so I had the weekend to get used to it before going back to work on Monday. Good luck. You will get through this and try to remember it isn't going to be this way forever. Sending a big hug your way!!

So sorry
    I am so sorry for all of you that go thru chemo and lose your hair. I am lucky that I didn't have to go thru that. Sending you all big hugs and support!

♥ Kylez ♥
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    MyTurnNow said:

I'm right there with you
    Pat, this is the part that has me the most worried too. I had long hair and have since cut it into a short, pixie do. I started chemo last week and am just waiting for this next part to begin. No one has any magic words to soften the change we are about to face. Just try to remember that it is only temporary and it is proof that the chemo is working. We want to live a long life cancer free!!! The hair will grow back. Hugs, Liz
  • ppurdin
    I did it,I buzzed my hair.
    Thanks for your replys.I was a shedding mess of hair today.I knew the time had come.My head was hurting and i had a scarf on to try to keep hair from getting on stuff.I went in the bathroom ,started cutting it shorter and then I got the clippers out and buzzed it.Put a little makeup on and a scarf on my head.It feels so much better and I feel very liberated.I wanted to do it my self and i did.Thanks to all you kind people for all your support.(Pat)
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    pitt said:

I'm right there with you
    Pat, this is the part that has me the most worried too. I had long hair and have since cut it into a short, pixie do. I started chemo last week and am just waiting for this next part to begin. No one has any magic words to soften the change we are about to face. Just try to remember that it is only temporary and it is proof that the chemo is working. We want to live a long life cancer free!!! The hair will grow back. Hugs, Liz

I loved my hair also, went
    I loved my hair also, went to salon often for new styles and hi-lights. After my first AC Sept 16th, I would look at my pillow every morning for hairs. I first noticed that my head got very sore, I noticed more hair would fall out after a shower. I knew it was time to buzz it off when I was sitting in my oncologists office and I could feel my hair falling out and landing on my neck and shoulders. The thing that helped me the most with hair loss is, I think if chemo doesnt make my hair fall out am I getting a strong enough dose to kill my cancer? I mainly wear bandanas with cap, cant stand wigs, and yeah youll get some stares when your out in public. But stay positive and think Bald is part of your cure.
    Deb
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    ppurdin said:

I did it,I buzzed my hair.
    Thanks for your replys.I was a shedding mess of hair today.I knew the time had come.My head was hurting and i had a scarf on to try to keep hair from getting on stuff.I went in the bathroom ,started cutting it shorter and then I got the clippers out and buzzed it.Put a little makeup on and a scarf on my head.It feels so much better and I feel very liberated.I wanted to do it my self and i did.Thanks to all you kind people for all your support.(Pat)

Right on Pat!
    Good for you Pat...im glad u are feeling better! I had a friend shave mine...a friend that had been thru the same thing 12 years ago so she knew how I felt. It brought us closer together strangely enough, LOL...good luck girl!
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    I'm glad you got through it
    I'm glad you got through it ok.
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Deb1969 said:

I loved my hair also, went
    I loved my hair also, went to salon often for new styles and hi-lights. After my first AC Sept 16th, I would look at my pillow every morning for hairs. I first noticed that my head got very sore, I noticed more hair would fall out after a shower. I knew it was time to buzz it off when I was sitting in my oncologists office and I could feel my hair falling out and landing on my neck and shoulders. The thing that helped me the most with hair loss is, I think if chemo doesnt make my hair fall out am I getting a strong enough dose to kill my cancer? I mainly wear bandanas with cap, cant stand wigs, and yeah youll get some stares when your out in public. But stay positive and think Bald is part of your cure.
    Deb

Bald is part of the Cure
    Wow Deb thanks for that statement. About 3 months ago I finally got the STYLE I've always wanted and now I'll be kissing it goodby. The onc said by my 2nd treatment. I bought a wig a few weeks ago and a couple scarfs so I'm prepared, but I cant even imagine what a bald me will look like. Just like I cant believe this is all happening to me, but it is and I will, we will all hold hands and get thru this together. Love and prayers to all you brave women.
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Pat
    YOU DID IT!!! Good for you girl...you will get used to it truly. I think the hardest part for me was thinking about it...then again, I live in Wisconsin and its getting colder up here so my head gets cold.

Hang in there...this is temporary

Hugs
    Linda T
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Hang in there
    girls! My hair fell out in November of 07 and since then I can't tell you the number of times I've had to have it cut! It does grow back-and in my case,looking much better than it did before! A little too much gray but I've kept it that way-and some of the other ladies have theirs colored. If you can,relish this time for the fact that you have a wash and go head and if it comes out as well-not having to shave your legs and armpits!!
  • Q088suzie
    Q088suzie Member Posts: 27

Hang in there
    girls! My hair fell out in November of 07 and since then I can't tell you the number of times I've had to have it cut! It does grow back-and in my case,looking much better than it did before! A little too much gray but I've kept it that way-and some of the other ladies have theirs colored. If you can,relish this time for the fact that you have a wash and go head and if it comes out as well-not having to shave your legs and armpits!!

It will get better
    I am proud of you!! I don't think I would have had the courage to shave my own head. I did go to a salon that specializes in cancer hair loss. They were so considerate and compassionate, it made my experience so much easier. They fit me with a beautiful wig that I have had strangers ask me where I get my hair cut, cause they liked it...only to be dumbfounded when I tell them it is a wig. It is not real hair,,,that is too expensive...the synthetics are so nice now. And it wasn't really expensive, plus the ACS will give you a $75.00 voucher torards your wig if you call 1-800-417-9361. They send it directly to the salon. I had my hair cut short about three weeks ago to soften the blow and the sudden change. That surely helped. The owner of the shop told me also, that the shorter the wig, the more natural it looks. I did try on a longer one and he as right. Keep that in mind if you are going the wig route. I am so happy with mine and am so lucky it turned out this way!!

Here's hoping you have a good experience like me. Have Hope!! Suzie
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    I cried too.......
    Guess we all think our hair is one of our greatest assets. The bald men at work are now kidding me because mine is growing back and whereas it started real slow, lately its been growing like crazy. Its not any thicker, but it is so wavy its beautiful. So there is light at the end of the tunnel. I went to the hairdresser and she shaved it, but not enough, so when I got home my brother took his shaver and shaved until I was Ms. Clean! I cried both times and then when I started wearing the wig. After a while I wanted to go bald, but at 20-30 degree temperature, that was just plain stupid, so I wore hats and scarves. I bet you will knock their socks off being bald.
    Good luck!
    Pat
  • ppurdin
    second day since I shaved my head.
    It feels so good to stop letting the shedding head of hair control me.And i am blessed to have a wig that looks like my own hair did.And I order,d some of the cutest hats from tlc book.they cost a little more,but are so nice.Life really does go on when we are bald.I got the cutest sleep hat and it is so soft.thanks everyone for your support.no one has seen me yet but my husband.That will be different,but it is ok.What a baby I have been about losing my hair.Thanks again.(Pat).
  • alessia
    alessia Member Posts: 40
    padee6339 said:

I cried too.......
    Guess we all think our hair is one of our greatest assets. The bald men at work are now kidding me because mine is growing back and whereas it started real slow, lately its been growing like crazy. Its not any thicker, but it is so wavy its beautiful. So there is light at the end of the tunnel. I went to the hairdresser and she shaved it, but not enough, so when I got home my brother took his shaver and shaved until I was Ms. Clean! I cried both times and then when I started wearing the wig. After a while I wanted to go bald, but at 20-30 degree temperature, that was just plain stupid, so I wore hats and scarves. I bet you will knock their socks off being bald.
    Good luck!
    Pat

I cried too

hi, think of the bald guys at work whose hair won't come back!
    kidding aside - know that too much kidding can make things worse -
    know this from personal experience.
    i understand how you're feeling BUT come on, you're new hair is right under the
    surface - ok? NO PROB! :)

http://www.tlcdirect.org/default.aspx - lots of useful/pretty products for cs.
    i just bought a comfortable top to wear during my radiation treatments.
    soft and cuddly :)

warm hugs, alessia
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    ppurdin said:

second day since I shaved my head.
    It feels so good to stop letting the shedding head of hair control me.And i am blessed to have a wig that looks like my own hair did.And I order,d some of the cutest hats from tlc book.they cost a little more,but are so nice.Life really does go on when we are bald.I got the cutest sleep hat and it is so soft.thanks everyone for your support.no one has seen me yet but my husband.That will be different,but it is ok.What a baby I have been about losing my hair.Thanks again.(Pat).

You are helping me and many
    You are helping me and many others prepare for the inevitable. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am one week post chemo so now the clock is ticking. I'll let you know how it goes. It seems less scary knowing you and your story and all the others on this site. This too shall pass and life continues. Thanks again!