Aloxi anyone?

Options
Cat64
Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My Oncologist said he would be giving me this Med for anti-nausea. I have read that some of you are receiving a steroid for this. Is this a steroid? I looked it up, but it doesn't specifically say.
Cathy

Comments

• BunnyJane
    BunnyJane Member Posts: 213
    Options
    Aloxi
    I believe that Aloxi is an anti-nausea med. I was given Emend and Aloxi via IV prior to chemo. (Taxotere and Cytoxan) and did not experience any nausea-- these drugs work! I also took steroids the day before, the day of, and the day after treatment. If you are receiving a different regimen, you may receive different medications. Best of luck.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    BunnyJane said:

Aloxi
    I believe that Aloxi is an anti-nausea med. I was given Emend and Aloxi via IV prior to chemo. (Taxotere and Cytoxan) and did not experience any nausea-- these drugs work! I also took steroids the day before, the day of, and the day after treatment. If you are receiving a different regimen, you may receive different medications. Best of luck.

I don't know Cat. I just
    I don't know Cat. I just want to wish you good luck. Let us know what you find out.

Kylez ♥
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Kylez said:

I don't know Cat. I just
    I don't know Cat. I just want to wish you good luck. Let us know what you find out.

Kylez ♥

Anti-nausea vs. steroids
    My oncologist explained that steroids are to prevent an allergic reaction to the chemo drugs, not to prevent nausea. When I still had an allergic reaction to my first Taxotere infusion, he increased the steroids.

So I have both -- I take a steroid (Decadron) for a day and a half before each chemo, then they give me more by IV when I arrive. They also give me Zofran for anti-nausea by IV, and I have Zofran to take afterwards when I need it.

Hope that helps,

Traci
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Anti-nausea vs. steroids
    My oncologist explained that steroids are to prevent an allergic reaction to the chemo drugs, not to prevent nausea. When I still had an allergic reaction to my first Taxotere infusion, he increased the steroids.

So I have both -- I take a steroid (Decadron) for a day and a half before each chemo, then they give me more by IV when I arrive. They also give me Zofran for anti-nausea by IV, and I have Zofran to take afterwards when I need it.

Hope that helps,

Traci

I was given Decadron to take
    I was given Decadron to take after my neurosurgery, I think it was for swelling since they debulked tumors on my spinal cord with that surgery.
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Anti-nausea vs. steroids

Hope that helps,

Traci

Thank you
    all for the helpful information. Found out today that nope-not a steroid! They added that to my cocktail too. It seems to have gotten rid of the congestion finally though! It was going on 2 weeks. Geez, just when you think you got it all covered, they throw ya another curve! It's hard to keep up sometimes!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Cat64 said:

Thank you
    all for the helpful information. Found out today that nope-not a steroid! They added that to my cocktail too. It seems to have gotten rid of the congestion finally though! It was going on 2 weeks. Geez, just when you think you got it all covered, they throw ya another curve! It's hard to keep up sometimes!
    Hugz,
    Cathy

Cathy, glad that it got rid
    Cathy, glad that it got rid of your congestion! Wishing you good luck!

Leeza