Importance of Social Support

jk1952
jk1952 Member Posts: 613
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I read an article today (the URL is: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/165725.php) about social isolation and how it impacts breast cancer. The conclusion is that "social isolation increases the mortality of chronic diseases" and this agrees with "clinical studies revealing that social support improves the outcomes of cancer patients".

I thought about the CSN boards, and the fact that no matter how isolated you might be, you can always come to the boards for support and comfort. Everyone here helps in the treatment of the rest of the group!

Joyce

Comments

• marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    I have also heard about the
    I have also heard about the isolation. It is my personality to try to take care of everything myself and it is so easy to become isolated. With bad weather coming, I know I have to make an effort to get out somewhere besides dr appts. This site has been so informative. Just to know that some of what I am feeling is normal has kept me focused on healing and recovery. One day at a time, feeling as good as possible just for today. Marilyn
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I think this holds true to a
    I think this holds true to a lot of diseases. If you hibernate and don't keep your mind active, a downward spiral is typically the norm. Too bad there are so many elderly people out there without access or experience with computers. They, too, would benefit from these types of boards.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

I think this holds true to a
    I think this holds true to a lot of diseases. If you hibernate and don't keep your mind active, a downward spiral is typically the norm. Too bad there are so many elderly people out there without access or experience with computers. They, too, would benefit from these types of boards.

Thanks for this information.
    Thanks for this information. I think it is very true also!

Leeza