mastectomy surgery over!!

ruthielaine
ruthielaine Member Posts: 59
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Had my bilateral on Monday - everything went well - prepared myself mentally for the "big unveiling" and it actually wasn't as bad as I thought - my surgeon was great - on the day I left the hospital he told me you might cry a little but try to keep in mind that when we're done you're going to look great! so my husband and I took the bandages off together and we both looked at each other and said "thats not so bad - it actually looks pretty good..." I guess we prepared each other for the worst. Anyway, got my drain bulbs out today (yay!!) and going back on Tuesday to start filling expanders. Thanks to you all for your prayers and support - if any of you are going in for a mastectomy, all I can say is if I can do it, anybody can!!! Try to remember that its a big step in saving your life but your life is worth it. By the way, when I got my pathology report there was another very small 3 mm tumor near my nipple that didn't show up on the mammo - so I'm more glad than ever that I took this route.

Love to all

Ruthie

Comments

• Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    :-)
    Glad to hear you are doing well. When I took my bandages off I cried a little just because I was thinking about how it must look to my husband. He just looked worried and later told me that he looked that way because he was worried about me being in pain. I guess the "anticipation" of how it will look is usually worse than the real thing.

Good call on having a bilateral since they found another tumor! That must make you feel much better that you won't have to deal with that in a year or two. I didn't have any active bc in my other breast, but had many calcifications that may have developed into something at a later date.
  • ruthielaine
    Wolfi said:

:-)
    Glad to hear you are doing well. When I took my bandages off I cried a little just because I was thinking about how it must look to my husband. He just looked worried and later told me that he looked that way because he was worried about me being in pain. I guess the "anticipation" of how it will look is usually worse than the real thing.

Good call on having a bilateral since they found another tumor! That must make you feel much better that you won't have to deal with that in a year or two. I didn't have any active bc in my other breast, but had many calcifications that may have developed into something at a later date.

you are so right
    I didn't have anything either in my right breast but I'm still glad I went the bi-lateral route. I want to move on with my life as best as I can and whatever i can do to avoid the future reoccurence I will!!! My mother is not doing well with my decision but I am absolutely okay with it and thats all that matters. Someone on this site said to me when I was struggling with my decision, "you have to do whats right for you, not your husband, not your friends but for you" and they were right. I am lucky that I had full support from my husband but I would've done it anyway. Now on to chemo!
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    RUTHIE
    I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well. I meet with my surgeon this month and I will also have decisions to make. I'm also glad you said the surgery wasn't so bad.I look at it as, nothing is as bad as losing to this beast! Bless and Hugs to you, Diane
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Ruthie
    I am so glad for you that everything went so well. I had complications after my surgery. After 3 wks I still had 80cc out from my drain on the cancer side. I ended up with a wound and the expander had to be removed so I have to go back in sometime next year to have the expander reinserted before I can even start the fill....oh well...chemo is more important anyway and I am one treatment away from being done...You sound like you are doing great so heres to you girl@!!!!!

Hugs and rest up

Linda T
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Hi Ruthie
    Thanks for letting us know you are hanging in there. You are an encouragement to many who are following behind your footsteps (although we wish they didn't have to). Keep us posted. Pammy
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Akiss4me said:

Hi Ruthie
    Thanks for letting us know you are hanging in there. You are an encouragement to many who are following behind your footsteps (although we wish they didn't have to). Keep us posted. Pammy

Ruthie, glad that you're
    Ruthie, glad that you're coming well, and that you have peace with your decision. I decided the same thing, and I'm very glad that I did. I think that the decision to have the bilateral is actually easier if you are having immediate reconstruction, since the new breasts will look alike.

Take care and let others help you to speed your recovery.

Joyce
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    jk1952 said:

Ruthie, glad that you're
    Ruthie, glad that you're coming well, and that you have peace with your decision. I decided the same thing, and I'm very glad that I did. I think that the decision to have the bilateral is actually easier if you are having immediate reconstruction, since the new breasts will look alike.

Take care and let others help you to speed your recovery.

Joyce

Ruthie .. I'm so glad you are ok ..
    I have many options to think about before proceeding forward. I am leanding towards a bi-lateral, even though my breast cancer surgeon is urging me towards breast conservation. It is our choice, and I am so glad you are at peace with your decision.

Get plenty of rest.

Oh Happy Days ..

VickiSam
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    VickiSam said:

Ruthie .. I'm so glad you are ok ..
    I have many options to think about before proceeding forward. I am leanding towards a bi-lateral, even though my breast cancer surgeon is urging me towards breast conservation. It is our choice, and I am so glad you are at peace with your decision.

Get plenty of rest.

Oh Happy Days ..

VickiSam

Ruthie
    Hi, Sorry not to have welcomed you sooner. I had a partial mastectomy and I really regret it now, I have all the risks and worries about recurrences AND this awful little scarred up breast with a half nipple poking sky-wards. I really wish I'd insisted on the 'Full Monty' and reconstruction. Good luck Hun

Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    chickad52 said:

RUTHIE
    I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well. I meet with my surgeon this month and I will also have decisions to make. I'm also glad you said the surgery wasn't so bad.I look at it as, nothing is as bad as losing to this beast! Bless and Hugs to you, Diane

Ruthie, so glad that your
    Ruthie, so glad that your surgery went well for you. Praying for a fast recovery for you.

HUGS
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Feel better
    I'm glad all went well. I'm at the beginning of this long journey and already wondering if a mastectomy would be better than just a lumpectomy. I'm afraid of recurrances and my mammo didn't pick up anything, either. I would always be wondering. Did you have a choice what to do?
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    laurissa said:

Feel better
    I'm glad all went well. I'm at the beginning of this long journey and already wondering if a mastectomy would be better than just a lumpectomy. I'm afraid of recurrances and my mammo didn't pick up anything, either. I would always be wondering. Did you have a choice what to do?

Wishing you a speedy
    Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Kylez ♥
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Glad it went well, Ruthie!
    Now take the time to recover and rest. You have taken a big step and now you know you can do it. You're right, it's your choice and not your mother's or anyone else's. Thanks for checking in and inspiring others who are going this route.

Mimi
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    tasha_111 said:

Ruthie
    Hi, Sorry not to have welcomed you sooner. I had a partial mastectomy and I really regret it now, I have all the risks and worries about recurrences AND this awful little scarred up breast with a half nipple poking sky-wards. I really wish I'd insisted on the 'Full Monty' and reconstruction. Good luck Hun

Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tasha,
    You know if you are really stressed about it, you can still get a mastectomy. Or reconstruction on your affected breast. I had a lumpectomy, too, and am really pleased with the results. I don't really worry too much about recurrence in the breast. My mammograms were pretty good in detecting the cancer, so I'm relying on them to detect anything that comes up. You should do what feels right for you, though.

Mimi
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    mimivac said:

Glad it went well, Ruthie!
    Now take the time to recover and rest. You have taken a big step and now you know you can do it. You're right, it's your choice and not your mother's or anyone else's. Thanks for checking in and inspiring others who are going this route.

Mimi

Glad it is over now Ruthie!
    Praying for a fast recovery for you!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • ruthielaine
    laurissa said:

Feel better

Yes I did have a choice
    Yes Laurissa I did have a choice - but because I had aleady been through two lumpectomys unable to get clear margins, I decided to have the bi-lateral. Even though its been tough, I look back and in my mind feel I made the best choice especially considering the small tumor they found after mastectomy that never showed up on the MRI or the mammo. However, everyone is unique - thats one thing I found out - now 2 peoples cancer experience is the same. Good luck to you